i3 Survives Hail Storm

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MarkN

While driving my i3 yesterday I was caught in a hail storm. It wasn't the worst hail storm I've seen, but it was the worst I've ever driven in, with hail up to 1/3 inch diameter and lasting for about 20 minutes. The only shelter I could find was to pull nose-first under the downwind side of a small locust tree. The tree provided some shelter for the hood and windshield, but hardly any for the roof. I looked the car over pretty carefully when I got home and didn't see any damage at all, although I've still got lots of locust tree leaves to clean out of nooks and crannies. The worst hail storm I've seen, with hail up to 1 inch in diameter, totaled one of my cars four years ago so I was hoping the i3's CFRP would be more resistant to hail than sheet steel. So far so good.

When my i3 was only about 2 weeks ago it was caught in the worst hail storm I ever saw here in NJ. A couple cars parked in the same lot as me had some minor dings on their hoods and roofs but my car was fine. I wasn't worried about anything except the CFRP roof because I knew the plastic panels wouldn't ding, but there were no problems anywhere.

Back