About to pull the trigger...questions for owners before leas

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hdbrew

Hi, about to purchase a Rex and would love to get some feedback from current owners, before I do, just in case.

1) I live in the CA desert where it can get to 110+ for months and in the summer, the car can bake in a garage and especially parked outside when out and about. Anyone have experience in a high dry heat location? And how does it affect your battery life and range?

2) What are your real world range numbers on a Rex, driving 75 to 80 on a highway. How far could I really go before drained? Wondering if I can really make a real world 100 mile highway, maybe stop and go, trip.

3) My biggest concern is the seats. I know this isn't a big luxury vehicle, but after a couple test drives, I felt the seats were very hard and stiff and slightly uncomfortable. Any feedback on this? Is it just the way BMWs are? Or is it that this is not a plush luxury car, or is it comfortable and I'm being sensitive? Is Giga World more comfortable than Tera perhaps?

4) Any kids complaining about riding in the backseat? I'm nervous it just seems small and uncomfortable for any trip over five minutes. And getting in the back seems claustrophobic.

5) Anyone have feedback on the standard stereo? Who makes it? Is it good, reasonable to not get the upgraded?

6) Is there a back up camera if you don't have the parking assist package but do have the tech package?

7) Can I charge over night on a regular house plug? Or does that cause battery damage and lower range? Note, with a 24 month lease, not too concerned about long term battery life. I'll eventually get the 240v but in the meantime?

Thank you! Any real world owner feedback would be great...before I pull the trigger!

hdbrew said:
Hi, about to purchase a Rex and would love to get some feedback from current owners, before I do, just in case.

1) I live in the CA desert where it can get to 110+ for months and in the summer, the car can bake in a garage and especially parked outside when out and about. Anyone have experience in a high dry heat location? And how does it affect your battery life and range?

2) What are your real world range numbers on a Rex, driving 75 to 80 on a highway. How far could I really go before drained? Wondering if I can really make a real world 100 mile highway, maybe stop and go, trip.

3) My biggest concern is the seats. I know this isn't a big luxury vehicle, but after a couple test drives, I felt the seats were very hard and stiff and slightly uncomfortable. Any feedback on this? Is it just the way BMWs are? Or is it that this is not a plush luxury car, or is it comfortable and I'm being sensitive? Is Giga World more comfortable than Tera perhaps?

4) Any kids complaining about riding in the backseat? I'm nervous it just seems small and uncomfortable for any trip over five minutes. And getting in the back seems claustrophobic.

5) Anyone have feedback on the standard stereo? Who makes it? Is it good, reasonable to not get the upgraded?

6) Is there a back up camera if you don't have the parking assist package but do have the tech package?

7) Can I charge over night on a regular house plug? Or does that cause battery damage and lower range? Note, with a 24 month lease, not too concerned about long term battery life. I'll eventually get the 240v but in the meantime?

Thank you! Any real world owner feedback would be great...before I pull the trigger!

1) IN the summer, and cruising at 60mph, I can reliably get 90 miles range. This is day driving, lights off, air con off and ecopro on.

2) I have a BEV.

3) I find the seats comfortable for long journeys. My only issue is the non-adjustable headrest, so I tend to have the seat reclined more than I would normally like to stop the head rest poking me. But this is only a minor niggle.

4) No complaints from the kids with a variety of ages from 2 to 16.. in fact most of them seem to fall asleep!

5) Don't know, but its pretty neat and I am glad I didnt fork out for the upgrade here.

6) Don't know... but I find the cam a good help for tight spaces, especially as it augments the max turn and current turn onto the live pic .. awesome.

7) I dont see how you could damage the battery plugging into house socket. Its probably actually kinder than rapid charging.

Now.. PULL THE TRIGGER... you wont regret it. :)

Great feedback Noakey! Thank you! Just about ready, but nervous! And wife is probably more nervous than me. :)

One of the things I like most about the i3 (mine is a REx) are the seats. I am a big guy and an old guy with lots of orthopedic issues and I like the seats because they are supportive, firm without being uncomfortable and, on long trips, do not leave me with the feeling of being fatigued as I felt in the cushy seats of the Lexus that I previously owned. Don't let the slim profile of the seats fool you. I've just crossed 10,000 miles in my i3 and the seats are as strong and durable as any I've ever owned and indeed better than most. I have a home in the "low" desert of California where it roasts this time of year. My experience to date is that the battery responds well to heat, just not to cold and you get more miles on a charge in a warm climate than in a cold one. As for the back seats, I've taken two adult passengers on trips of up to 240 miles roundtrip. They did not complain of claustrophobia--I specifically asked them--but on long trips it doesn't have the "stretch out roominess" of larger vehicles to which we were previously accustomed. As a comparison, my son owns a Mini, thn largest made, and from my experience the i3 backseats are roomier and more comfortable than those of the Mini.

The i3 has active heating/cooling for the batteries, so unlike the earlier Leafs which had problems in hot weather, that has not proven to be the case with the i3.

If you regularly deplete the battery on your i3, you will NOT be able to recharge it overnight with the supplied EVSE at 120vac...it can take up to 19-20 hours to recharge a depleted battery with that verses about 3.4-4 hours with a 30A 240vac device. So, you may be in the market sooner rather than later for an EVSE. Now, if you don't need the car every day or don't drive it enough to deplete the battery, you may be able to get by. The 120vac EVSE isn't as efficient as a 240vac one...the car has to make nearly 400vdc, and it is less efficient the lower the input voltage applied. The charging circuit is actually in the car, the EVSE is essentially a smart extension cord/power switch.

The REx gets slightly lower range on battery only than the BEV because of the extra weight it carries around all of the time (according to the EPA 117mpge verses 124mpge)...not huge but it's there.

I use mine for running around, and use my ICE for longer trips. So, given the range, I'm never in it for more than about an hour one-way, but I've not had any issues with the seats.

Excellent detailed feedback, drb.

Really great to hear on the batteries, jadnashuanh. Is the active heating/cooling new to 2015 models, or has it been available from the start?

I know it seems like I'm asking for reassurance from the owners who love the cars but I'm really looking for what I can expect. Reasonable expectations from owners and not the BMW advertisements. On my last car, hybrid sedan, advertised big mpg and I never got close. So now I'm just hoping to have reasonable expectations and do my research. Can I really drive this Rex for a 90 mile highway trip, sometimes at 80 mph and other times stop and go, in the heat, or does it really not have the range...in comfort mode?, as I know my wife isn't going to be turning off the a/c or driving 55 on the highway. Again, any real world experience would be great. Thank you again!

Active battery management has been there from the start. Its on all models.

You asked about range on the REx. To clarify what has been stated, range on battery alone with the REx is going to be 65-85 miles in the summer, depending on your speed (the i3 isn't real aerodynamic and the range drops quickly above 65 mph), how many hills you are climbing, etc. Once the battery is depleted to about 6%, the REx itself kicks in and will enable you to to go another 40-60 miles (depending on how full your tank is). Note that the REx is a pretty small engine, only 34 hp, and if you have a depleted battery and are also driving fast or on long uphills, the REx output may not be able to keep up with the demands you are making. This will result in a reduced power mode that matches your speed to the amount of power the REx can deliver.

In the winter, if it gets below 65 or so, you'll see a reduction in the range. The range reduction will be 5% to 35% depending on the weather (colder means greater range reduction).

My ReX average range is 83 miles. However, range is quite speed related (as it is with an ICE car). This is a reasonable guide, I find:

50 mph - 105 miles
60 mph - 85 miles
70mph - 66 miles
80 mph - 57 miles.

I find the seats very comfortable - they are typical German seats and I've had German cars for the past 20 years.

The back seats are comfortable and quite spacious; you're sat quite upright so plenty of legroom. I do find that it can get a little stuffy in the back when it's hot, max AC for a short time seems to help as does preconditioning. (You should get a 32A charger fitted in your home so that you can precondition before driving off.)

The standard stereo is OK up front but not much good for rear passengers.

Thank you, Jeffj and janner.

Janner, when you say, range is 83 miles, etc, is that on battery alone? I assume, or with Rex?

Anyone have a back-up camera but NOT the parking package? Seems odd to me that they wouldn't include one, and I believe it's the new law moving forward?

backup camera is only available as part of parking assist package, unfortunately. In the next couple of years it will be required, but you can't get it today without springing $1000 for the whole parking package.

As for range that janner posted, that would have to be battery only (I have a REx and those number match my experience). The REx range will be an additonal 40-60 miles on top of that for every tank full of gas.

If you live in the high desert you will be very uncomfortable in any mode other than Comfort in the summer months. Otherwise you will be a raisin in the sun in no time....... This means that your range will suffer compared to our friends in the UK. Much of the year driving with no a/c in just not an option, especially if your usage pattern involves parking the car in the sun while you shop. Do this a couple of times on a errand trip and the repeated cooling of the hot car will eat into your range. You can keep the a/c running while you shop to avoid using Max A/C, but there is a range penalty there too. You should consider 90 mile ranges to be unavailable in summer and use a figure in the 60's to see if this is the right car for you.

Then again, you may be happy driving a car with no air conditioning in the summer when the OAT is 100+ degrees which is what you have when in Eco Pro+. At the very least budget for window tinting including the front windscreen.

Yes definitely need the A/C!

No back up camera standard is really sad when $15,000 cars have them. Ugh.

Eco Pro mode will still use the a/c, but I'm not sure you'd like it when it's dry, sunny, and over 100-degrees F out. You might find it okay IF you precondition the cabin to get it cool (ideally, while on your EVSE) so you wouldn't need as much capacity to condition the sweltering cabin if you just got in and went. Can't give you any more help there, as my use is all local, short hops, and comfort mode gets used. BMW does say, though, that the use of a/c is more efficient than running with the windows open if you're going faster than 30mph. Only when you can be comfortable with them closed would it be more efficient to run with the a/c off.

In the USA, the BEV comes with a heat pump, but the REx does not. FOr those days when you need heat, the REx will be less efficient than the BEV over the same roads and conditions, not counting its lighter weight.

I own a ReX and bought it specifically to address some of the issues you're concerned about.

For example, with the ReX I always drive in comfort mode. Yes, my range may be less, but with the ReX that isn't an issue. If the battery runs low the ReX provides the needed energy. I live in the SE and over the last 7 weeks it's been 90 and above almost every day with high humidity. Without the ReX the A/C wouldn't be used as aggressively as I use it now - 74 degrees. The ReX eliminates that concern as well.

Keep in mind in hot weather the range will fall, and it will absolutely collapse in cold weather. During the winter I often struggled to exceed 50 miles of range. Again, the ReX eliminates that concern. Don't be afraid of using the ReX, that's why you're paying for it.

I'd also consider either the DVDinMotion or CodeMyCar options to provide you the flexibility to turn on the ReX when you want instead of the BMW default of 6% charge remaining. Having control of the ReX allows you to charge at higher reserve levels - great if you come across unexpected hills, or if the weather if far warmer than you expected and the A/C needs to run at max for a while.

I have the HK upgrade, and I've also owned a BEV with the base radio. For me the upgrade is worth it. It may not be for you. I stood with the 19" wheels - found the 20" too loud and the ride a bit harsher.

I got all the toys - rear camera/parking, tech package with live traffic and upgraded NAV (well worth it, IMO), Giga Interior (I like it, others may not), heated seats (you'll love them if you need them), and the fast DC charger (probably won't use it, but it was ordered on every car available locally). Of all the things I ordered the only one that seems less useful is the fast DC charger - kind of redundant with the ReX.

Seats haven't been an issue, but I'm "vertically challenged" and a bit above my target BMI. I prefer a more relaxed seating position, not a true sports seat.

You'll probably find enough charging locations on the ChargePoint network to meet your needs if you have to charge quickly. BMW provides a free membership and many municipal locations provide free charging as long as you have a card. The 120V outlet will work fine, but it will take time. Again, with the ReX that isn't a deal breaker. Just keep the tank fueled and keep driving. You don't need to worry about range if you are driving on level ground - again look to the coding solutions I mentioned earlier to give you control of when the ReX charges the car. With that coding change you may be very pleased with having only 120V access along with higher powered chargers in various local places.

In terms of the lease, I got a 2014 for a very good deal - not the cheapest on this forum by any means, but for a car with nearly a $54K list price my monthly lease is $100 more than a Honda, a car that lists for half the cost of my i3 ReX. I consider that great value. Even at these low gas prices I still save at least $30/month in fuel/electricity versus my Prius, and far more versus other cars in the garage.

If I were to do it again I'd do the same thing - load up on the options and don't worry about the cost. My wife's 335 lease is far higher than the i3 ReX and her car has a list price almost $12K less than the i3. Yes, part of that is government subsidy, but even so the i3 leases are all very attractive. Factor in everything when you are comparing costs - down payment, "turn in fee", etc. Also, consider a "prepaid lease". You make a single up front payment and you're done. No other costs other than excess miles and damage/condition charges. The APR money factor on a prepaid lease when I leased my car was under 1%. That compares to nearly 2.5% for the standard lease at the time. The difference was significant - over $900 difference in payments over 2 years - that's nearly $40/month. It's not a solution for everyone, but I don't own a business and don't write off my car. The savings on the lease payments made the upgrades that I wanted almost free. The leases are heavily subsidized by BMW and you can buy additional miles even after you're committed to a specific lease (as low as $0.16/mile). At that rate driving an extra 10,000 miles will only cost $1,600. Even Honda charges more per mile on an Accord. Get the toys you want, drive it aggressively and enjoy it. The difference in monthly costs between a loaded ReX and a "stripper" isn't very significant, but getting the car you want for the driving you intend to do is the key.

Good luck on your choice - you won't be sorry. I've owned a BEV, ReX and a Leaf along with several Prius cars. The i3ReX, to me, is the best solution out there unless you tend to carry 4 people long distances on a regular basis. For that solution a Tesla is probably a better choice, and frankly the newly released 70D is quite a car and for what it does attractively priced. But when you compare costs a Tesla that lists for $25,000 more than a loaded i3 ReX will cost you nearly $1,000/month when you consider all the costs and down payments. The Tesla is a fine car without doubt, but I find it hard to say it's worth twice the price, or more, of a fully loaded comparably equipped ReX.

Finally, if you are a BMW car club member, and have been for over a year, you may qualify for a BMW car club rebate. If so, that may provide you with a $500 (ReX) - $1,000 rebate (BEV). Deduct that from your lease payments and it's a "no brainer". Most dealers will also discount service/parts for BMWCCA members. Well worth it, and the monthly club magazine is the best in the industry. Highly recommended.

Feel free to PM me if you have questions.

Yes, the range figures I quoted were for the battery electric part; the ReX will give you a similar range on top of that.

As others have posted, the ReX essentially gives you unlimited range provided there are fuel stations at sensible intervals. In the UK we can turn on and off the ReX as required so 50% battery, all ReX, and then remaining battery to get you to a fuel station is a good way to cover lots of miles. However, with the exception of the South West of England and most of Wales, CCS coverage is quite good here - I've used ReX for only about 7% of time so far but it does give me the confidence to try longer distances.

WoodlandHills said:
If you live in the high desert you will be very uncomfortable in any mode other than Comfort in the summer months. Otherwise you will be a raisin in the sun in no time....... This means that your range will suffer compared to our friends in the UK. Much of the year driving with no a/c in just not an option, especially if your usage pattern involves parking the car in the sun while you shop. Do this a couple of times on a errand trip and the repeated cooling of the hot car will eat into your range. You can keep the a/c running while you shop to avoid using Max A/C, but there is a range penalty there too. You should consider 90 mile ranges to be unavailable in summer and use a figure in the 60's to see if this is the right car for you.

Then again, you may be happy driving a car with no air conditioning in the summer when the OAT is 100+ degrees which is what you have when in Eco Pro+. At the very least budget for window tinting including the front windscreen.

Good point.. although you can operate the car in ecopro and have the air con in comfort.. in settings-eco settings..

True, and I have done just that once in a while, but I think the big savings in Eco Pro comes from the reduced a/c and not the soft throttle. IMHO, there is not much advantage in range to outweigh the weak acceleration. Also when using ACC in ECO PRO the soft throttle is far too slow to respond when the car in front pulls away, it lets such a big gap open up that usually two other cars change lanes to get in front of me. In Comfort it keeps up with the car ahead much more easily since it responds with much more authority.

You mentioned a 24 month lease. Get the 30 month lease so you qualify for the $2500 (?) California state rebate. 30 month is the minimum for eligibility on a lease, and I think that also happens to be a sweet spot in BMW's residuals.

Anyone have some good ballpark numbers on what a 2014 should lease for these days? Just a ballpark? The 2015's are still "up there."

Back