Off peak charging and minimum SOC

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

psquare

When connecting the car tonight for off-peak charging during the night, I was once again struggling to get the vehicle into the "Charging Paused" mode on the i Remote app display. I tried all sorts of combinations, like switching car on and off, switching the EVSE on/off. After trying all imaginable combinations - which in the past had worked - I realised that the SOC on my REx was down to 5%. I thought: Maybe the low SOC makes the car recharging first, before dropping into off-peak mode until the charging window starts?

I let the car charge up to 10%, but off-peak wouldn't kick in. I then left it on "immediate charge" for a bit longer. When it had reached 22% I activated "off-peak charging" (Departure time is always set on my car, btw) via the app and about 30 secs later I heard a click from the EVSE - charging had stopped and the app now said "Charging Paused"!

It appears to me that there is obviously a certain SOC below which off-peak can't be enabled (15% or 20%?), which is fine. 2 Questions:

1. Does anyone know what this percentage is?
2. Does anybody know if a car in "off-peak" mode AND on low SOC will charge until that threshold has been reached and then drop into off-peak until the window starts?

I can obviously find the answer by trial and error, but maybe someone on here has already found out.

Thanks,
P

I'm pretty sure that if it starts to charge outside the off-peak window because of a low SoC it continues to charge rather than cutting out when a threshold is reached. My understanding was that the SoC below which it ignores off-peak is 30% but your experience would suggest otherwise.

Back