Charging error?

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I've experienced several time charging error. It happened when I plugged in and set it to charge during low cost time. It can be fixed when plugging out and replugging in. But pretty annoying when you found that after several hours.

What brand and model EVSE are you using? Some have issues with anything other than just plug in and go from what I hear. IOW, a delayed start, control lines might just shut down in the EVSE, and then nothing works until you break the connection and restart.

Thanks for the reply! Mine is Rex but not sure about the details. I met the same issue again today. Pretty sure I've plugged in properly. Seems something is wrong. I've never had this before.

I believe Jim was asking you to clarify whether your charging error occurs only with one EVSE, maybe the one that you own, or whether this error occurs no matter which EVSE you use, yours at home, public chargers, or maybe an EVSE at work. As Jim stated, some EVSE models don't work well with delayed, low-cost charging, so it is important to know which EVSE model(s) you are using when the charging error occurs.

If the charging error occurs regardless of which EVSE you use, the problem is likely with your car. However, if the error occurs only with one EVSE and not with others, or with an EVSE model that is known to have problems with delayed charging, then the problem is likely with the EVSE. We need more information to better diagnose this problem.

It is a known issue in Europe when using the BMW branded wallbox charger. There is a software upgrade due in a few Months to fix this.

alohart said:
I believe Jim was asking you to clarify whether your charging error occurs only with one EVSE, maybe the one that you own, or whether this error occurs no matter which EVSE you use, yours at home, public chargers, or maybe an EVSE at work. As Jim stated, some EVSE models don't work well with delayed, low-cost charging, so it is important to know which EVSE model(s) you are using when the charging error occurs.

If the charging error occurs regardless of which EVSE you use, the problem is likely with your car. However, if the error occurs only with one EVSE and not with others, or with an EVSE model that is known to have problems with delayed charging, then the problem is likely with the EVSE. We need more information to better diagnose this problem.

Thanks for the clarification. It's a BMW branded wall charger. I got this when purchasing the car. I never had this issue before but recently.

Lincsat said:
It is a known issue in Europe when using the BMW branded wallbox charger. There is a software upgrade due in a few Months to fix this.

I bought the car at this May. Thus the software should be most updated? I will go to the dealer to have a check.

Coming with the error, there is big noise when charging. Sounds like a fan or the engine in the back. Never had this before as well.

As we get into the dog days of summer...it's hotter, and the cooling system has to come on which may not have happened while it was cooler.

alohart said:

I'm having low cost charging issues using the Clipper Creek HCS-40 I have in my garage. Is this known to be a problem unit? I have never tried low cost charging on any other EVSE so I have nothing to compare to and the charging issues are somewhat infrequent anyway. Is there a list of EVSE units known to be problematic?

The CC unit is supposed to be one of the better units for this type of problem. You might want ot give them a call and describe what's going on. But, I'd first try another EVSE to see if you get the same problem.

5363767 said:
Lincsat said:

I bought the car at this May. Thus the software should be most updated? I will go to the dealer to have a check.

Coming with the error, there is big noise when charging. Sounds like a fan or the engine in the back. Never had this before as well.

In Europe, the last software was January I believe, next due September. I have a noisy fan in the rear when pre-conditioning, will mention that to dealer when I get the software upgrade.

Back