2014 i3 upgrade

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

4wheels

I just purchased a 2014 i3. It's brand new and has 10 miles on the car. The dealer decided it would be cool to install the software update. Except the software is not compatible with the hardware. So it's going to take at least 2 days to get this installed. The dealership had 1 other i3 ahead of me and I have had to wait a day before they even look at my i3. So I now have to take the bus. The B in BMW stands for bus.

So I am pretty annoyed with this dealership. I did not purchase a new 2014 just to put it in the garage. I purchased a new car so that I did not have to worry about having to fix things. Dealership is not compensating me in anyway. I am a paraplegic, so getting a loaner car does not help me any.

Has anyone upgraded their 2014 i3? How long did it take? How much pain is involved?

Upgrade to what? Can you be more specific as to what you want changed........? Also where are you NA? UK?

Does your i3 have hand controls?

A smart dealer might keep all of his for sale cars up to date on software so they'd be up to date when sold, but I'm not sure BMW corporate pays for that until it is sold. But, to reprogram all of the i3 can take up to about 3-4 hours IF there's no glitch. The software is actually sent to the car from Germany once the dealer hooks it up to his computer, and I'm not sure if there's enough bandwidth or hardware for them to do more than one at a time.

My i3 from April 2014 is having various updates and upgrades, it is taking 4 weeks so far and has had to go to a different dealer for the work to be done. I'm not really concerned because the local dealer has given me a courtesy car of which I've added 4000 miles!

Yes - the i3 has hand controls. I am not sure of all the stuff that has to be upgraded, but it does include the antenna, computer, and one of the screens in the car. I understand the upgrade affects charging, navigation, and the remote. I live in Houston, Texas USA.

Houston for me, too. Selling dealer was Advantage BMW mid-town. I've had my i3 in the shop 30 days in the first year of ownership. Once for the charger upgrade, which was only 3 days, because it was a known issue to BMWNA and the parts were on hand. Three other trips for component failures. Each trip involved about equal time for waiting for a i3 tech to be available, diagnosing the problem, getting clearance from BMWNA to authorize the fix, and waiting for parts. Example was most recent trip for failure of the fuel door solenoid --BMWNA had to authorize it's replacement and was in the shop a total of 10 days. Car is great when it works, but it's not ready for prime time when it comes to repairs.

Back