Opening Key FOB

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jinx1181

Hi all,

I've tried this on both a comfort access and non comfort access key but cannot seem to get the back cover open. According to the directions, it is a pretty simple two step process of taking out the valet key and popping off the back plate but either I'm not using enough force or something is wrong with our keys.

I know it works similar and have easily replaced the ones on our 3 series FOBs but this one is leaving me puzzled.

Any help would be appreciated!

Hi websterize,

I did see that post but the problem I'm having is the #2 part..I can't seem to get the cover to pop off and afraid using more force will break the plastic :cry:

I thought at first the battery as not replaceable similar to other BMW's without comfort access, but I borrowed a friends i3 key that has CA and see the same thing.

With the metal key out, I inserted a flat head screwdriver in the slot under the cover and gently twisted counter-clockwise. The battery cover then popped off.

Don't use anything sharp, and you should be fine.

Back