codingpanic

I3 unsafe in winter weather?

Tue Feb 09, 2016 5:27 am

BMW I3 is extremely dangerous in winter conditions. When Accelerating from a snow covered side street to a BUSY, clear, down to pavement main road, the car will suddenly stop for 3 seconds as if its thinking about what it is about to do. This is enough time that a car can rear-end you.

The inability to flat out disable regen braking in winter weather makes the car a challenge to drive. Who thought that automatic rear wheel braking only on snow packed roads is a good idea? Even when you try to moderate the brakes, the car slides. When you do get acceleration, the car will stop again, as if it is surprised it moved further. It stops, waits 3 seconds, then tries again.

Today, while driving on a road with a posted speed limit of 50, the I3 saw some snow fall from a tree in the distance. (not a lot of snow mind you, certainly not enough to warrant this reaction.) The car lurched to a stop without any driver input and I was nearly rear ended. I then angrily disabled the vehicle safety systems by pressing the car button on the dash.

This is not my first car, and I do, in fact know how to drive. I am afraid to drive in "tech" mode and disable all the electronic nannies so that I can have full control of the vehicle since BMW could potentially void the warranty. With stories of motor mounts breaking, something tells me that the car couldn't handle tires transitioning from snow packed road to a down to pavement main road.

The car is garaged, clean, and none of the driving sensors were obstructed in any way. This vehicle is clearly not the future. At least not in the winters of New England.

Please note that I am not driving on summer tires.

mhsh

Re: I3 unsafe in winter weather?

Tue Feb 09, 2016 5:42 am

I have now driven my i3 on snowy roads quite a bit, in various conditions, and never experienced anything like what you describe....

And I'd add that the rear wheel drive gives quite amazing traction when the snow gets deep or wet...
Last edited by mhsh on Tue Feb 09, 2016 5:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

codingpanic

Tue Feb 09, 2016 5:44 am

What software version are you currently running? I'm running the latest November update...

mhsh

Tue Feb 09, 2016 5:46 am

codingpanic wrote:What software version are you currently running? I'm running the latest November update...
Latest, as well.

Now maybe you ran into a specific bug that I never got to get to. I don't have any self driving options that could interfere (which is what your post kind of points too).

codingpanic

Tue Feb 09, 2016 6:06 am

Yeah, I have Driver Assistant plus but I am not using adaptive cruise or any of those features. I am driving the car. The sudden braking only happened this morning though. I've been having acceleration issues whenever there are slick roads. Slow accel, brisk accel, nothing works. Put it into tech mode and I can drive anywhere I want...

cmj912

Tue Feb 09, 2016 6:41 am

Strange, I live in New England as well and have not experienced any of this. 8" of snow yesterday, 5+ a few days ago and the only snow problem I had was the giant plow-induced hump at the end of the driveway.

codingpanic

Tue Feb 09, 2016 6:42 am

Are any of you using winter tires? I'm on all season tires right now. Still doesn't explain that the car is fine when in tech mode...

cmj912

Tue Feb 09, 2016 6:56 am

codingpanic wrote:Are any of you using winter tires? I'm on all season tires right now. Still doesn't explain that the car is fine when in tech mode...
Nope. All-seasons.

And I have all of the driving assistant stuff. I am, however, trying to figure out whether I'm running the latest software. I may actually not be.

The only time the car has ever done the slamming on the brakes thing was in the 'sudden bright light versus tunnel' situation (not a snow situation).

Have you tried switching the Nanny warnings to 'Late'?

codingpanic

Tue Feb 09, 2016 6:59 am

They are set to late right now.

At this point, my only recourse is to drive with it off. That will fix the sudden braking. Traction on the other hand, I need to find out what is going on there.

cmj912

Tue Feb 09, 2016 7:06 am

Return to “General / Main i3 Owners Forum”