2017 i3 BEV

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boatguy

I'm looking ahead to next year when my i3 lease is up and I'll be shopping for a replacement. I like the i3, but BMW's commitment to EVs seems lukewarm at best based on what I've heard about the 2017 i3. I've read about the larger battery option and blue paint. Is that it? It's hard to accept that after three years BMW is doing nothing but buying the next generation batteries from their supplier, and offering a new paint color, no evidence of any engineering effort on the evolution of this car. Is that really all they offering in the way of an update after three years?

It's making me feel good about having leased because it appears that BMW has abandoned this car and is just going through the motions of a "refresh". I think it's turning out that the i3 was an experiment that BMW has decided was not successful, other than as a "compliance" car or a maybe a beta test car.

What about these areas which wouldn't require major retooling?

1) Adaptive Cruise Control. It was good in 2014, but the camera and processors could be updated. Assuming they are buying from MobilEye, there is a next generation product available which could improve the performance.

The i3 also requires way too many button presses to use the ACC. Turn it on, press Set, adjust the speed, and then adjust the following distance. Tesla remembers the following distance and requires only one pull on the stalk to enable the system.

2) CarPlay (and Android Auto). The i3 infotainment system is weak at best and more often just annoying. Apple lists "BMW Group" as a partner, but BMW has not yet announced a car that will incorporate CarPlay. How about the new i3?

3) Parking Assistant

The i3 only supports parallel parking, while other BMWs also support perpendicular parking. The i3 also requires way to many actions to initiate after a spot is identified. Again, the Tesla requires just one button push to initiate the auto-parking sequence.

Other BMW models offer remote parking, enabling the car to be moved forward/back from outside the car which is pretty useful in some situations. I've used this feature in my Tesla (they call it Summon) to get in/out of parking spaces with puddles at the driver/passenger door, and also when other cars parked too close. It makes a lot of sense for the i3 city car, is it coming?

4) Open the hatchback with the key fob. The i3 frunk is virtually useless, but BMW gave it a spot on the key fob rather than the frequently used hatchback. I know it can be "coded" to work differently, when will BMW make it standard?

5) On the subject of the frunk, how about making it weatherproof so that something can be placed in there without risk of getting wet or dirty?

I'm sure there are other areas where BMW could improve the i3 without retooling the factory, but the above would be a good start.

Many of the s/w controlled functions (most of the car) are tweaked with the periodic updates. Unlike Tesla, though, you must deal with that at the dealership. Some things definitely have been improved over time. Not everyone has great cellphone coverage, and there are sometimes issues during an update, so I can see BMW's preference to do it in house verses OTA. Plus, BMW has lots more service centers than Tesla, which would limit how easily people could access one to get updates, so it makes sense, at least to me, in that front, too.

BMW is moving towards LTE connections, and when that happens, might open up other OTA things, one of which has been mentioned as being free map updates. The data rates with their existing connections would take forever, and if an error, just that much longer.

To address your concerns, the 2017 is not a body style refresh so I wouldn't expect a bevy of refreshed features. An improved battery range for the first time since it was released is a welcome upgrade.

Hopefully by the time the Tesla Model 3 is out the i3 will have a body refresh with even better range, plus all the features you've described and more.

Regarding opening of the rear hatch...if you have comfort access, it seems a mute point to me. If you don't, a quick stab at the unlock button twice will make it accessible to anyone without the fob, and if you're in the car, you can release it from the button on the doorpost. IOW, I don't see it as a big deal at all! It might be a different story if it were powered open, but since it isn't, you still have to grab the handle to open it and whether it's already unlatched or not is irrelevant.

While not perfect, my opinion of the i3 is that there are at least logical reasons for the way they did things. An individual may not agree with the basis of that decision, but it is of a single mindset. Being a retired engineer may make me more comfortable with the decisions than with people with other backgrounds.

Jim, perhaps you could grok a Bavarian engineer and explain the "logical reason" the iDrive knob is so bloody counter-intuitive, most frustratingly when zooming in and out of a map. My right hand is pretty hard-wired to a right-handed screw thread, where screwing in (i.e. clockwise) should correspond with zooming in — not out. It gets me every time.
They straightened out the gear-shift knob so that on the i3 push forward means go forward, unlike the automatic stick shift on their ICEs, so why not extend that rationality to the i3's iDrive knob?

i3an said:
Jim, perhaps you could grok a Bavarian engineer and explain the "logical reason" the iDrive knob is so bloody counter-intuitive, most frustratingly when zooming in and out of a map.
It works the same as other BMWs. Why have one different?

i3an said:
Jim, perhaps you could grok a Bavarian engineer and explain the "logical reason" the iDrive knob is so bloody counter-intuitive, most frustratingly when zooming in and out of a map. My right hand is pretty hard-wired to a right-handed screw thread, where screwing in (i.e. clockwise) should correspond with zooming in — not out.
It feels backward to me as well, but I've developed a model that makes it work for me. However, I do have to pause each time I want to zoom to think about my model of what is happening which indicates that it's not natural.

I consider the iDrive knob to be the head of a screw whose threads are in the top of the center console under the knob, not in the map itself, with the end of the screw touching the map which is spring-loaded to be pushed up (i.e., zoomed in). Thus, the screw determines the zoom position of the map. So when I twist the knob clockwise, the screw descends into the console pushing the map lower (i.e., zooming out).

I'm not sure why is feels more natural to assume, in effect, that the screw passes through a hole in the console with threads in the map. Rotating the knob and thus the screw clockwise would pull the map up (i.e., zooming in) as the screw descends into the map.

CarPlay. The i3 infotainment system is weak at best and more often just annoying. Apple lists "BMW Group" as a partner, but BMW has not yet announced a car that will incorporate CarPlay. How about the new i3?
That's interesting.
I have an iPhone 6s, and found that it shows no available cars in the list when I select CarPlay. :cry:
However, my i3 is nearly 2 years old, and when I press CarPlay on the iPhone, and press the MODE button to the left of the car's volume knob, Bingo - the music comes out of the car's speakers! :eek: There doesn't seem to be a need to press the voice button on the steering wheel, either, but Bluetooth must be on. MODE seems to switch between the available audio inputs.
My local BMW iGenius was unaware of that facility, too.

FrancisJeffries said:
CarPlay. The i3 infotainment system is weak at best and more often just annoying. Apple lists "BMW Group" as a partner, but BMW has not yet announced a car that will incorporate CarPlay. How about the new i3?
That's interesting.
I have an iPhone 6s, and found that it shows no available cars in the list when I select CarPlay. :cry:
However, my i3 is nearly 2 years old, and when I press CarPlay on the iPhone, and press the MODE button to the left of the car's volume knob, Bingo - the music comes out of the car's speakers! :eek: There doesn't seem to be a need to press the voice button on the steering wheel, either, but Bluetooth must be on. MODE seems to switch between the available audio inputs.
My local BMW iGenius was unaware of that facility, too.
I too have an iPhone 6s. Where do you see CarPlay on your iPhone?

In any case, here is a list of cars that do support CarPlay

jadnashuanh said:
Regarding opening of the rear hatch...if you have comfort access, it seems a mute point to me. If you don't, a quick stab at the unlock button twice will make it accessible to anyone without the fob, and if you're in the car, you can release it from the button on the doorpost. IOW, I don't see it as a big deal at all! It might be a different story if it were powered open, but since it isn't, you still have to grab the handle to open it and whether it's already unlatched or not is irrelevant.

While not perfect, my opinion of the i3 is that there are at least logical reasons for the way they did things. An individual may not agree with the basis of that decision, but it is of a single mindset. Being a retired engineer may make me more comfortable with the decisions than with people with other backgrounds.

This one I strongly disagree, it is a giant pain the you know what. It is near a deal killer. Fortunately once you code the car you can have it auto unlock and can use the useless frunk button to open the trunk. That saves it, and is an option.

If you have comfort access, walk up to the hatch, it just opens when you grab the handle...how hard is that? If you have the fob and do not have comfort access...pressing the unlock maybe twice, (depends on if the driver's door is unlocked already), it just opens exactly the same way. In many situations, it's the same as pressing your coded unlock button. If both doors are unlocked, so is the hatch, and no further button presses needed. If you're in the car and someone needs to open the hatch, it's not a big deal to press the unlatch button. If this is a deal breaker, sorry, but I think you're too spoiled! Since it does not have a motor to raise it, you still have to grab the handle to raise it, so to me, it's no big deal to also press the latch at exactly the same time.

So, to summarize:
-opens easily if you have the fob on you and comfort access without even taking it out of your pocket.
-opens easily if the car is already fully unlocked without further actions
-opens easily if it is locked by pressing the unlock button on the fob (might have to hit it twice, then exactly like above)
- unlatches if you're in the car and press the button, but may not need to be if you unlock the car (easily reached by a passenger, too verses the unlatch button).

How hard is that? If unlocked, the hatch opens just like either door...no further action required. Why is it a deal breaker? If locked, just like any door, you have to unlock it. If that's too problematic, you should have bought comfort access, then, it will open as long as you have the fob, which would be required, regardless, and then, you don't have to press anything!

And if I walk out of the car in park, leave my key in the car (which I do), DO NOT press the button before I forget, do not have comfort access because it only came with, you know, beige interior (don't even get me started) then it is easy right? Even with comfort access not all of us just carry our cars, the point of proximity with the key is that you can just throw it in the cup holder or in the console and drive off.

And yet I have an INCREDIBLY useless frunk open key on my remote which not many people use because it is not waterproof. I don't understand why its hard to see the design is flawed, it could be much better. As I said I reprogrammed by coding the frunk button to be the trunk and its fine, but this should have been the basic operation, not something you have to "hack" your car to do. Its design by people who never used their own car.

Your point is kind of silly...if you left the fob in the car...you couldn't press the button on it to open either the frunk OR the hatch!

There is no reason to remove the fob from your pocket, once you've opened the door (and that's not necessary with comfort access) to drive the car...works just fine left in your pocket and then, you won't be forgetting it in the car! I suppose, if you have a heavy clump of other keys attached, but personally, I prefer not having any attached.

The way the lock is on the i3 is essentially identical to ALL current BMWs, so I suppose that means you wouldn't ever buy any other one, either. For anyone that has another, or owned another, it's the way it is with this brand. Same thing about some people not liking the I-drive...the i3's works essentially identical. Maybe not the best, but it is what it is. Once you learn it, it's easy to get in another BMW and do what you need to do.

epirali said:
And if I walk out of the car in park, leave my key in the car (which I do), DO NOT press the button before I forget, do not have comfort access because it only came with, you know, beige interior (don't even get me started) then it is easy right? Even with comfort access not all of us just carry our cars, the point of proximity with the key is that you can just throw it in the cup holder or in the console and drive off.

And yet I have an INCREDIBLY useless frunk open key on my remote which not many people use because it is not waterproof. I don't understand why its hard to see the design is flawed, it could be much better. As I said I reprogrammed by coding the frunk button to be the trunk and its fine, but this should have been the basic operation, not something you have to "hack" your car to do. Its design by people who never used their own car.
BTW, if you have the "auto lock" setting on, the i3 is quite happy to lock your keys in the car. I discovered this the hard way with my phone and keys securely locked in the car.

You probably have it disabled or you would have had that problem as well by now, but you might want to double check the setting after each service when sometimes settings are reset.

epirali said:
jadnashuanh said:

This one I strongly disagree, it is a giant pain the you know what. It is near a deal killer. Fortunately once you code the car you can have it auto unlock and can use the useless frunk button to open the trunk. That saves it, and is an option.

agree

the constant rear hatch open hassle is a fucking pain in the ass

always disgusted with it

How is the rear hatch on the i3 different than a door? When the car is unlocked (not just the driver's door), you can access either. When the car is locked, you can't. FWIW, the 'frunk' does not have an external latch, so you'd either need to add an external button to access it, or leave it as most cars are: a button or lever in the cabin, or in this case, BMW chose to also use one on the fob. If you really only want to unlock the hatch, you have to buy that option with the car - it comes with comfort access. Otherwise, to access the hatch, you either push the button while in the car, or you make sure the car is unlocked, either from within the car, or with the fob. To ramble on about this seems silly. My other BMW works the same way, and people do not scream about the idiocy of how that is configured. For someone coming from a brand other than BMW, it might seem strange, but I've owned other brands that operate exactly the same way as BMW, so it is not unique. Brands that unlatch the trunk/hatch with the fob usually have no other way to open them unless you're in the car...BMW gives you options.

I don't get it either. Maybe it operates differently to normal cars?

In a normal car and the car is locked, so is the trunk.
If the car is unlocked, so is the trunk.
If you are in the car, there is a button to release the trunk.
On some cars, you can click a lever so the trunk remains locked and you need to open it with a key.

So, what is the difference for the non-comfort access i3 to the normal usage of the trunk?

I just leased the 2016 i3 on 5/29/16 and had only meant to lurk this forum, but after reading all the complaints about the fob not having a dedicated button for the trunk I decided I needed to register if only to clear up this one bit:

My key fob has a dedicated trunk button. Pushing said button opens the trunk, whether the car is locked or not (like a normal car).

It appears this is a new development, as I'm brand new to the community and had no idea this was an issue before, I was very confused about what everybody had an issue with. Hope that helps you out lol.

onychophagia said:
My key fob has a dedicated trunk button. Pushing said button opens the trunk, whether the car is locked or not (like a normal car).

So different than this fob:

IMG_2890.jpg

I have to say that given the breadth of issues I suggested could be addressed, I'm a bit surprised that the raging debate is about the key fob. Nobody cares about the other issues?

Back