Electricity Supplier and tariff in UK

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gif

Just now running the gauntlet of sorting out supply arrangements.

I'm currently with Swalec/SSE and they installed a Smart meter last year. Brilliant I thought, I can see the smart meter cycling through Rate 1 / Rate 2 / Rate 3 although as I am on a standard tariff at present, only Rate 1 is recording. But it's a smart meter I thought, it records half hourly consumption data. I know it does cos I can see it on my account statistics in my online account. It'll do day/night tariffs so I'll switch to Economy 7 and save money charging at night.

How wrong I was! For Smart read Dumb it appears. The first response I got was from Swalec, "computer says no!" Can't be done, we're working on it but there is no way to make the most modern meter in the UK work with a variable rate tariff. Really? :shock:

So I decided to find a more enlightened supplier with a greener tariff which is what I wanted eventually anyway. So I ring Ecotricity. "I'll ask a supervisor, they said." 5 minutes later, "Can't be done, not sure why but we can't get a smart meter to work with dual tariff." Really? :shock:

So I rang Ovo Energy. They were sceptical too but at least they were willing to give it a try. First response was, we'll have to charge you £57 to make it work. I presume that's a meter guy/girl to come out and prod it with a stick or something? Second call the £57 wasn't mentioned but an assurance that there will be a way to make it work so I've switched to an Economy 7 tariff with them and we'll see what happens next.

On the basis that the car isn't due until September, the day rate is not that bad compared to what I was on anyway and it's 100% renewables, I've done it. It gives them at least two and a half months to sort the meter (even if they have to rip the 21st century model out and put back a 1950s one) before the i3 starts drawing juice through it.

Anyone else had these sort of problems in UK?

First of all, well done for going for a green energy supplier. I did the same (with Ecotricity) and whilst I currently try and charge as much during sunny-ish daytime hours as I can (partially from PV), it is good to know that at least my off-peak consumption is offset by green energy.

I understand the Smart Meter preference, but why is it so important for you? I switched from a standard to an Economy-7 one with Ecotricity and paid about £85 (I think). I do the occasional reading from the meter to keep a record (about every 2 weeks) and see the effect of my PV system on daytime consumption.

I do remember reading somewhere about Smartmeters not being compatible with Economy-7, but not 100% sure.

Hope you get it sorted and please report back - I'd be interested to hear how you got on.

I had the smart meter originally so at least I could get a hold on where consumption was occurring and when. It was free too, so a no brainer. Having sorted the loading and got some meaningful MI out of it, you are right, it's of little use and I wouldn't worry about it going. I was just astonished that a digital meter with three rate tariffs built in, can't cope with variable tariff metering?

I suspect if truth be told, it's more about the systems on the back end of the meters that are unable to process the data and bill adequately. As you say, most seem to rely on self reading like in the good old days. How rubbish technology is though!

PV case is not good for me, got two huge oak trees south of me in the garden and they're both TPO restricted and shade most of my lovely perfectly pitched south facing roof :cry:

Back