Front license plate mounting

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nji3guy

New Jersey requires a front and rear mounted plate.
Just got mine today and was getting ready to mount but stopped prior to chewing 4 holes thru my bumper.

Heard some folks just use double sided tape
Others buy an bracket the mounts to the tow hook bolt hole

That sounds nice but I heard it can cause issues with sensors

Mine doesn't have the park assist option though so maybe I'm "ok" with that

Any insight/advice anyone cares to share ?

Thx.
New Jersey i3 Guy

I've had plates stuck on with double sided auto tape before. Worked fine as long as the surface they were stuck to was perfectly flat. Slight curvature I had on a Toyota once caused the plate to gradually over a long period, overcome the tape adhesive allowing weather and dirt to eventually defeat it.

Not sure if security is an issue where you are but I've also had at least one plate torn off for use in drive off fuel theft.

FWIW, my last car that I picked up in Munich, came with the license plates stuck on with double-sided tape. Now, they were not intended to be on there forever, but at 100mph, and some driving rain (not at the same time!), they arrived safely on the car when it was redelivered in the states.

If you were to hit something with a rigid mount screwed into the tow hook, you might damage more than you would if it wasn't there...it would put a significant point load on the structure verses the relatively flat, spread out load, if you hit something with just the 'normal' bumper. Most places require a front license plate...personally, I don't see the big deal about mounting it where it was intended.

Sorry, my question was for nji3guy
I bought my car in PA, where only the rear tag is required. The car came with a mounting plate in the frunk, but no screws. The plate is meant to be attached to the front bumper with screws. I'm still working up the courage to do it :D

Gt1,
Yes, my 2016 has a plastic mounting frame in the frunk.
Even came with the 4 self tapping screw for mounting to the bumper and 4 for the plate

I decided to hold off ( I'm carrying the plate inside car for the moment) and I'm going to try a non harmful mounting bracket via the tow hook hole
http://www.usmillworks.com/bmw_front_license_plate_mount_bracket_tow_hook.html
We'll see if I like it once it arrives
I know some folks don't mind but I'd rather not punch the holes in the bumper if the alternate mount looks acceptable

I was gonna suggest looking at Millworks. When I get my i3 that's who I plan on going with.

Let us know if it interferes with the park/distance sensors! It should be fine but I'm always curious.

I got the mounting plate, but no screws. During the delivery I asked the dealer if they have a material sheet listing all the little parts and accessories supplied with the car. They just told me not to worry.

One never hopes or expects to hit something with their car or be hit, but adding a hard point into a threaded hole in the structure rather than tacked onto the bumper cover just seems to be asking for extra damages...extra structural damage verses the 'look' does not, IMHO, seem worth the potential risk. Some add-ons have no risk, this one does.

Certainly a valid point.
To each their own ;)

I actually got the bracket today ( haven't put it in yet )
If I do hit something hard enough to cause hard point damage, I'm thinking it will be much more than just the threaded hard point that will need repair work
I carry a low deductable and will just may sure the hard point is inspected as part of the claim.
I may wind up regretting it, but time will tell.
It's all a matter of preference vs 'cost' to the individual user
Cost might not be realized until some point later on should also be a factor in ones decision

It's sort of like putting a spear in the front of the car...might have issues should you say hit a pedestrian and what little flex is fully negated.

It's your car, but I'd be upset if you hit me with it! Course, that'd be true with or without it :lol:

Sorry but to me that just doesn't seem possible. There's nobody mounted to the front of the car screaming "THIS.IS.SPARTA." If i'm hitting something - I'm gonna hit it good, otherwise I'm not hitting it at all. Just be a good driver and don't hit things.

Back