busaman

Re: Uk ecotricity charging

Wed Aug 24, 2016 10:42 pm

jadnashuanh wrote:The cost of a CCS unit, plus the land, and installation, could easily exceed 20K pounds...then, the things do require some maintenance, even if it's just to change the air filters they use for cooling. Many of the units are networked, and that requires a connection and fee. Those costs must be recovered as well as the cost of the actual power that is dispensed. If you factor in the (retail) cost of the EVSE plus installation at your home, your cost/unit will go up as well. The thing is a monster power supply, so the watts going in is more than the watts they deliver to the vehicle (conversion inefficiencies, cooling fans, logic board, etc.). SOmebody has to pay for that as well.
we are talking about a generating company that had funding from th e EU (indirectly the tax payer) to pay for all this so im not buying into the setup fees or running costs if they charged the std rate for power it would still make a profit as they generate it via solar/wind..
7.31s@203.3mph on one wheel

jadnashuanh

Thu Aug 25, 2016 3:51 pm

The hardware for a 50Kw CCS unit is nearly $20K (US), not counting the land and installation costs. SOmebody has to pay for it, even if the power was free. Do you think that the windmills or solar cells come for free, too? They need to be bought, installed, and maintained, even if the energy itself is 'free'. For rough numbers, 40p is about $0.50 US, so if the thing costs $20K, that's 40,000Kwhr assuming the electricity was 'free'...that's recharging 40,000/18 (for an i3 to full, probably less on a single charge) or over 2200 charging sessions. Considering the thing isn't 100% efficient, probably more like 2500 sessions.
Jim DeBruycker
2014 i3 BEV, 2021 X5 45e
(The i3 will be sold soon, <17K-miles, interested?)

busaman

Thu Aug 25, 2016 10:59 pm

jadnashuanh wrote:The hardware for a 50Kw CCS unit is nearly $20K (US), not counting the land and installation costs. SOmebody has to pay for it, even if the power was free. Do you think that the windmills or solar cells come for free, too? They need to be bought, installed, and maintained, even if the energy itself is 'free'. For rough numbers, 40p is about $0.50 US, so if the thing costs $20K, that's 40,000Kwhr assuming the electricity was 'free'...that's recharging 40,000/18 (for an i3 to full, probably less on a single charge) or over 2200 charging sessions. Considering the thing isn't 100% efficient, probably more like 2500 sessions.

jim i dont think you understand how it was funded the entire project was funded by the EU (a non profit making organisation) primarily from england french and german govenments that included all the infrastructure and maintenance. it was deemed as a project for the european electric highway not as a chance to make a vast profit.. these chargers are now on par with gasoline prices "why would you wait all that time for a charge when you can be on your way in 5 mins for the same price on gasoline..

Also once you have plugged in its £6 for half an hour not how much charge you put in its per session.. and ive never managed a full charge in 30 mins. where as a top up of 5litres of gas you only pay for 5 litres not what the tank can hold..

Jonnyp42

Sat Aug 27, 2016 1:28 am

There is actually some debate as to who paid for these Rapids, Ecotricity claim they were not OLEV funded.

busaman

Sat Aug 27, 2016 2:16 am

Jonnyp42 wrote:There is actually some debate as to who paid for these Rapids, Ecotricity claim they were not OLEV funded.
well from the published articles i have seen it was EU funded even ecotricity advertised the fact they were in partnership with the EU so read from it what you choose it doesnt alter the fact it is now as expensive as gasoline and much less convienient (a typical gas station has at least 8 pumps and takes a few minutes wheras chargers have 1-2 outlets with at least half an hour)

electricvirgin

Sat Aug 27, 2016 5:59 am

I have just used one of these chargers, it all went smoothly via the app so thats good.

However i was only charging for 26 minutes before the charger stopped, which seems a trifle mean. Had they not charged me £6 i would not have minded! I did get about 75 miles worth in the time (i now have a new i3 with the bigger battery) and wondered if the early cut off related to how much energy had been used, although i dont recall reading any disclaimers about this?

As noted before i do believe ECOtricity did receive government and/or EU funding for their network, although the labyrinthine way in which such bureaucracy functions is too dull for me to really investigate without falling asleep.

busaman

Sat Aug 27, 2016 11:26 am

electricvirgin wrote:I have just used one of these chargers, it all went smoothly via the app so thats good.

However i was only charging for 26 minutes before the charger stopped, which seems a trifle mean. Had they not charged me £6 i would not have minded! I did get about 75 miles worth in the time (i now have a new i3 with the bigger battery) and wondered if the early cut off related to how much energy had been used, although i dont recall reading any disclaimers about this?

As noted before i do believe ECOtricity did receive government and/or EU funding for their network, although the labyrinthine way in which such bureaucracy functions is too dull for me to really investigate without falling asleep.
thats good to hear the first week i tried using the app, capel st mary had no network so did not work, cambrige services both pumps broken, and corely services one pump broken and the one that did work would not release from my car for an hour..

from the info they provide it should be 30 mins..

FrancisJeffries

Mon Aug 29, 2016 3:26 am

psquare wrote:
busaman wrote: Ecotricity also give me a £40 discount per year since I own an electric car. In addition, they now let me use their CCS pumps for free. These figures are not included in the above costs and would lower them even further. I also own solar panels (generation effect is not included in the consumption figures above), which contribute to my annual electricity bill and lower it by about £400. The offsetting of the PV solar brings down my electricity bill by another 50%. However, at this point you have to keep in mind that I obviously had to pay upfront for the installation of the panel array.

Before anybody asks, I do not work for them or neither am I affiliated with Ecotricity. I am simply someone who compared suppliers and decided that a renewable energy provider makes more sense. You can find lower prices, for sure. But for me it was important to support a supplier of renewable energy.
I'm an almost identical case to psquare. I have just got my 94Ah i3Rex, and have used the Ecotricity free CCS chargers twice. Both times, the charge ran for 30 minutes (at ~110A, ~325V!) and put 20kWh into the battery each time - once from 6.5% starting charge and once from 18.5% starting charge. 20kWh is good for at least 80miles of my motorway driving - almost as far as a tankful of petrol. The upside is those miles are free :D , the downside is it takes 30 minutes to charge :( , as compared with around 5 minutes :| for petrol refuelling.
Noteworthy cars I've owned previously: Lancia Aprilia ... 20kWh i3 Rex.

Passivate1949

Mon Aug 29, 2016 12:08 pm

I returned on Friday from a trip to Glasgow in my 2015 i3 ReX. I covered almost 900 miles in a couple of days and became quite familiar with Ecotricity's chargers. Notwithstanding the history of who paid for what, I also feel that they haven't yet got the price right. It is noticeable that the pumps are less frequently used. I did not have to wait anywhere to use the pumps. I would rather pay for what I use as this seems by far the most logical approach and approximately 30 minutes seems a strange way to create confidence in the process. However, a cynic might say that absolutely everything else you by in a motorway services is generally exhorbitant - food, petrol, coffee - so why not electricity!

En route a couple of curious things happened, presumably as a result of the changeover process. One pump was entirely free - no app or card required, just connect! At least it was available!

In the torrential rain on Friday the car and the pump didn't get on so I had to abandon one attempt to charge and just run on the generator. It would have been a nightmare for a BEV. The ac chargers are so hit and miss plus the charge rate is horribly slow.

When I do connect via the app it works well but what I assume is a mistake in me setting up the app it always says that CCS is not compatible with my i3! You can just opt to continue, however.

I recognise that the i3 is not intended as a motorway car but at 70 mph (about 10 mph less than the average speed of traffic on the M6) it is great and the consumption of both petrol and electricity is reasonable. If the idea is to benefit from total cost of ownership then even at £6 a time I reckon that I was averaging around 6.5p a mile. Helped by a couple of freebies. My old diesel BM would have been double that but the trip would probably have been 4 hours shorter! I guess you just have to plan accordingly!!

All chargers in Glasgow seem to be free. There is a great free rapid charger at Abington car park off the A74M.

Regards

A

nickthorley

Fri Sep 02, 2016 4:05 pm

@Passivate1949 I believe the latest model Rex can do 120 miles per charge. Say my daily commute is 80 miles ( total) and let's assume a cruising speed of 80 - do you think I would make it without Rex? If I then lowered to 70 - how much of a difference do you think it would make. Finally have you noticed running the air con in the recent hot weather has reduced the range much?

We will see what a harsh winter also does to range

Return to “General / Main i3 Owners Forum”