kentheteaman

i3 being seen as Ugly

Wed Dec 18, 2013 5:49 pm

Dear Tom,

I know some people view i3 as ugly, unsightly or weird.

Personally I think it is a good looking car in "Andeset silver color with its black hood".Image

Other colors do not serve it well and they kind of make it look odd or may be ugly except the very dark grey which almost looks black as seen here Image

It is the double color that makes it odd. It will look much better in single colour both body and hood.

So I wonder if you could speak to BMW people and convince them to supply the hood in different colors to match the body color so that if people want they can buy it as spare and change the hood to body color.

Just a thought. :idea:

regards,
ken

I33t

Re: i3 being seen as Ugly

Thu Dec 19, 2013 12:15 am

Fixed the image links for you Ken :)
kentheteaman wrote:Dear Tom,

Personally I think it is a good looking car in "Andeset silver color with its black hood".Image

Other colors do not serve it well and they kind of make it look odd or may be ugly except the very dark grey which almost looks black as seen here Image

It is the double color that makes it odd. It will look much better in single colour both body and hood.

So I wonder if you could speak to BMW people and convince them to supply the hood in different colors to match the body color so that if people want they can buy it as spare and change the hood to body color.

regards,
ken
2014 BMW i3 BEV deposit placed 19th Dec 2013
Delivered in Melbourne 4/12/2014. Arrived locally 11/12/14, with 24km on the clock.

Plug

Thu Dec 19, 2013 12:49 am

I wouldn't go as far as 'unsightly' but I don't think it's a good looking car. A lot of people say it looks better when you see it in real life (rather than the pics) but that didn't work for me :lol:

Saying that, I think there are some interesting exterior design features, like how the side panels at the rear extend to the sharp edge for better aero and I actually like the narrow tyres which are showing that the engineers gave more importance to efficiency than aesthetics.

These recent threads from members explaining why they chose the LEAF over the i3 shows what a difficult job it is to design a car to appeal to the mass public, there are so many factors that can sway a decision. Personally, iffy aesthetics and things like the cheap looking kenaf panels do not put me off at all because I'm much more interested in the dynamics. The i3 has double the power to weight ratio of the LEAF, that is such a big difference and you feel it everywhere, not just acceleration but braking, cornering, the whole car feels more alive. I'm such a fan of light cars that I'm prepared to put up with a lot of aesthetic oddness but for some the power to weight ratio comes way down the list of importance and with the LEAF being considerably cheaper I can see how it makes a lot of sense to many people.

i3me

Thu Dec 19, 2013 1:20 am

"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder" (WS)

There would be no problem at all for an owner to "wrap" the hood and roof in the colour (combination) they so desire!
It would only cost a few hundred euros/pounds, provides extra protection (scratches and weather) for those 2 panels and would cost maybe an hour of work (diy). Your BMW dealer could probably even arrange to have it done for you!
Born Electric on December 30, 2013

TomMoloughney
Site Admin

Thu Dec 19, 2013 9:43 am

kentheteaman wrote:Dear Tom,

regards,
ken
Hi Ken,

I'm not a huge fan of the black hood and rear accents either. That's probably why I too like the Laurus (Laurel in the US) gray since it minimizes the two-tone effect.

They did that because they felt the monochrome didn't work well with the short stubby nose and because the car is very tall considering it's length. The "black belt" is supposed to create the visual appearance that the car is not as "chunky". From the NY Times Wheels blog:

"In designing the i3 electric car, BMW engineers were tasked with reducing weight to compensate for heavy batteries. They used a combination of carbon-fiber reinforced plastic and aluminum, and the company mounted the passenger compartment atop the batteries. That approach made for a shorter vehicle with a lower center of gravity, but it also gave it a chunky profile. So designers set out to lighten the tall, bulky “monoform,” said Adrian van Hooydonk, BMW Group’s design director.

“We wanted to remove visual weight from the car,” he said. That meant using all sorts of techniques and tricks to break up the apparent mass of he car, he explained in an interview last week.

Mr. van Hooydonk, Richard Kim and Benoit Jacob worked on designing the i3 for five years. The name they chose to describe the technique used to lighten the bulk of the car’s outline was the black hand, said Mr. van Hooydonk.

“The hood, as you see, is black, and the same material runs over the roof and to the back,” he explained. “This helps us divide up the volume.”

I'm definitely considering a whole car wrap myself. Not only to see how it would look as all one color, but to give it a unique flare. I'm thinking about a deep red or a dark blue. The cool thing about wraps is when you get tired of them you just remove it and it's kinda like you got a new car again!
Tom Moloughney
MINI-E: (6/09 - 1/12)
BMW ActiveE: (1/12 - 5/14)
BMW i3 REx: (5/14- 6/17)
BMW i3s BEV (1/18- )

My i3 Blog:
http://bmwi3.blogspot.com

agj

Thu Dec 19, 2013 12:38 pm

"Objection, your Honor"!

I, for one, am quite receptive to the "black belt" thing.

To the point that I ordered mine in white (black/white that is). The now much vaunted "Shamu edition".

Bmw i3 is cute. Period.

It shows to the outside what it is in the inside. But in a much stylish way than, say, the Prius(*) ... :shock:

(*) with all due respect :)

Muhv

Thu Dec 19, 2013 1:26 pm

I agree. Mine will be white as well. All cars doesn't have to look the same.
2014 BMW i3, May 2014
2014 BMW X5 3,0d
1997 ALPINA B3 3,2 cabrio, #027 out of #088 made in total.

TomMoloughney
Site Admin

Thu Dec 19, 2013 1:59 pm

agj wrote:"Objection, your Honor"!

I, for one, am quite receptive to the "black belt" thing.

To the point that I ordered mine in white (black/white that is). The now much vaunted "Shamu edition".

Bmw i3 is cute. Period.

It shows to the outside what it is in the inside. But in a much stylish way than, say, the Prius(*) ... :shock:

(*) with all due respect :)
HaHa. My opinion on color is just my taste, I wasn't meaning to imply that it's the best choice. I would also be perfectly happy with Solar Orange or even Ionic Silver and they both have the black accents. I really do like the CFRP roof though. I just wish they offered a few more bold color choices, the Solar Orange is the only color that isn't a white, sliver or gray.
Tom Moloughney
MINI-E: (6/09 - 1/12)
BMW ActiveE: (1/12 - 5/14)
BMW i3 REx: (5/14- 6/17)
BMW i3s BEV (1/18- )

My i3 Blog:
http://bmwi3.blogspot.com

kentheteaman

Thu Dec 19, 2013 6:01 pm

Fixed the image links for you Ken :)

Thank you, I33t.

regards,
ken

kentheteaman

Thu Dec 19, 2013 6:06 pm

TomMoloughney wrote:
I'm definitely considering a whole car wrap myself. Not only to see how it would look as all one color, but to give it a unique flare. I'm thinking about a deep red or a dark blue. The cool thing about wraps is when you get tired of them you just remove it and it's kinda like you got a new car again!
Thanks Tom for the insight into the designing of i3.
Fascinating stuff, indeed.

Having said that, I wonder where I can get the wrap to cover the hood.

I am in London,UK. Hope BMW dealer might know.

regards,
ken

Return to “General / Main i3 Owners Forum”