Charging cable not releasing

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

barrychan

This is the third time it happens......unlock the car but the cable would not release.

Use the fob to lock and unlock works for the first 2 times, the third time it took 3 lock and unlock to finally hear the click to be able to push the button and release the charger, something wrong or.........

Thanks
Barry

There could be something wrong. One fix that I've heard of is to slightly ream out the hole that the locking pin moves through...the solenoid does not have a huge amount of force, so if it is obstructed (maybe a little ice?) it can't break itself loose. I've found that an occasional shot of WD40 helps to keep it dry and lube it slightly.

This seems to be a very common defect on i3. Book a service appointment and get it fixed or replaced.

FYI. the lock has to work perfectly in order to get DCFC session started, if you are lucky enough to have one near by :lol:

Thanks both of your reply.
I'll try to lube that thing and see if it helps.
I'll bring that up to their attention when I take the car in for an update....apparently its due....
No DCFC here.....our city probably too small.
Barry

According to Plugshare, you should have a DCFC with CCS at the Uptown Shopping Centre on Sannich Rd. Someone checked in yesterday evening.

Back