Is this a good deal?

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EugeneM

Hi everyone,

I'm new to the world of i3s so I'm looking for an opinion. I've been driving a 2015 Model S for 2 years and my wife seems to love the feeling of an EV so much she keeps "borrowing" my car more and more.

So I decided to upgrade her BMW X1 to an EV. I love BMWs so the i3 seemed like a good choice.

I just put down a security deposit on a CPO i3 Rex. It is a 2015 mode but was only sold/registered on 4/28 of 2016 so it's basically 11 months old (been driven for 11 months). It has 13k miles on it. Giga World with a technology package, driving assistant, navigation, etc. Well loaded basically.

Since it's a CPO it comes with a 5yr/75k miles BMW warranty with more than 4 years left (unfortunately or furtunately, I'm not sure yet, it comes with the CPO Elite not regular CPO which would give me 6yr/100k coverage).

I am buying it from an official BMW dealer and I negotiated the price down to $24,000.

It seems like a good deal to me but I'd appreciate some feedback. Did I overpay? :)

I think you got a good deal. 2015's normally run 20-25K depending on options. And, you got a relatively "new" one that is CPO.

Having said that, why was it only used for 11 months ? Make sure you understand when the warranty started and when it ends. It could have been a "punched" car, that is, the dealer listed it as sold (and therefore the warranty started) to get a rebate from BMW when it actually wasn't. Don't get too disjointed...this is a common practice for BMW dealers and is ok as long as you understand upfront what the deal is. If it was really sold on 4/28/2016 and is a CPO you should get a 6 yr warranty, ending on 4/28/2022.

The dealer said that it was an dealership employee vehicle which is why it was only used for a short period of time. Not sure how legit that answer is but that's what they said.

The warranty is CPO Elite. Check the BMW CPO page. It says that newer vehicles under 15k miles get the Elite 5 year 75k mile warranty. Not sure why it's called elite since it's less than the 6yr/100k mile regular warranty but that's a BMW NA thing not specific to this dealership.

To answer the previous posters question, I negotiated it down fairly substantially imo (they wanted more) and I got it from a PA dealer.

theothertom said:
I think you got a good deal. 2015's normally run 20-25K depending on options. And, you got a relatively "new" one that is CPO.

Having said that, why was it only used for 11 months ? Make sure you understand when the warranty started and when it ends. It could have been a "punched" car, that is, the dealer listed it as sold (and therefore the warranty started) to get a rebate from BMW when it actually wasn't. Don't get too disjointed...this is a common practice for BMW dealers and is ok as long as you understand upfront what the deal is. If it was really sold on 4/28/2016 and is a CPO you should get a 6 yr warranty, ending on 4/28/2022.

EugeneM said:
fairly substantially imo (they wanted more)
With all respect, 'they wanted more' means the original price was more than you paid, which we know already.
And 'substantial' means one thing to one person and another to someone else.
I am interested to know what kind of percentage can be knocked off the (BMW) dealers starting price, which will give me an idea of what I could expect when negotiating for a deal for myself, though in the end, it may not help, but would be nice to know.
Thanks

FWIW, my base model (except for heated seats BEV) 2014 returned at the end of january with 15k miles was originally listed as CPO at $26k.

It's now listed at the same dealership for $20k. I expect it to keep going down.

Use truecar to search for used nationwide and use that as a bludgeoning stick when you're purchasing used (don't forget to factor shipping cost and risk of buying sight unseen)

We started at $26k and change so they ended up knocking off 10% or so.

Took a while and lots of back and forth a couple of hundred at a time :)

pesky said:
EugeneM said:
fairly substantially imo (they wanted more)
With all respect, 'they wanted more' means the original price was more than you paid, which we know already.
And 'substantial' means one thing to one person and another to someone else.
I am interested to know what kind of percentage can be knocked off the (BMW) dealers starting price, which will give me an idea of what I could expect when negotiating for a deal for myself, though in the end, it may not help, but would be nice to know.
Thanks

Good to know. Judging by this (and what I'm seeing online) 24k for a fairly new '15 Rex is reasonable.

Schnort said:
FWIW, my base model (except for heated seats BEV) 2014 returned at the end of january with 15k miles was originally listed as CPO at $26k.

It's now listed at the same dealership for $20k. I expect it to keep going down.

Use truecar to search for used nationwide and use that as a bludgeoning stick when you're purchasing used (don't forget to factor shipping cost and risk of buying sight unseen)

EugeneM said:
The dealer said that it was an dealership employee vehicle which is why it was only used for a short period of time. Not sure how legit that answer is but that's what they said.

The warranty is CPO Elite. Check the BMW CPO page. It says that newer vehicles under 15k miles get the Elite 5 year 75k mile warranty. Not sure why it's called elite since it's less than the 6yr/100k mile regular warranty but that's a BMW NA thing not specific to this dealership.
Thanks for the update. You might want to check when the CPO warranty ends. My guess would be 2020. Nothing wrong with that as long as you're ok with it.

Looks good to me. In May 2016 I bought a loaded, BMW i3-REx with 6,440 miles for $29.9k and never looked back. Just busted through 21k or roughly 14k service miles and the year is not done. As more and more of these pocket-rockets come off lease, prices will soften.

I have run into a few unexpected problems that have been fixed under warranty. The worst was a broken motor mount that took the car out of service for two weeks. Every repair seems to take at least two days as the parts have to be ordered.

Bob Wilson

They confirmed that the warranty start date is 4/2016 so I have about 3 years of factory warranty left and a year of CPO Elite on top of that or until 75k miles.

That takes me to 2021

theothertom said:
EugeneM said:

Thanks for the update. You might want to check when the CPO warranty ends. My guess would be 2020. Nothing wrong with that as long as you're ok with it.

Back