Navigation Update

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Milam

I am sure that this information is available.
But, I failed to find it,

I have a 2017 i3 REX.

The Navigation System needs to be updated.

Any suggestions?

Should be an easy process... if you have a ConnectedDrive account and have subscribed/purchased the map updates. If your car is a 2017 vehicle you should have this for free for a few years I would think?

Within your account you will be able to download the maps by first downloading the map updater software (Mac or Windows). You then run this program on your computer to download the maps to a USB drive.

It's then just a matter of inserting that USB drive into the i3's centre console USB port and updating the software via the iDrive menus. If your car is a 2017 REx I'm not sure how your maps can be out of date as they're usually only updated once a year.

nitramluap

I appreciate this information.

I do not know about the ConnectedDrive account.

Will check it out now.

Thank you

Tom Milam

Milam said:
nitramluap

I appreciate this information.

I do not know about the ConnectedDrive account.

Will check it out now.

Thank you

Tom Milam

If it is a new car (or still within the warranty period as a 'used' car) it's likely that the BMW Online functionality is still active for that vehicle. If you don't have one, create a ConnectedDrive account, then add your vehicle to your account using the last 7 digits of the VIN. You'll need to verify it with a PIN that will be sent to the vehicle (see BMW Online -> Office -> Messages)

Alternatively, you can link the car directly using your iPhone with the BMW Connected App and a USB cable:
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/bmw-connected/id1087277146?mt=8

Good luck!

nitramluap said:
If your car is a 2017 vehicle you should have this for free for a few years I would think?
Seems to be dependent on the market. Nav map updates aren't officially free for any U.S. i3 regardless of model year.

But then someone inevitably posts map updates on sketchy download sites for free downloads. Others steal BMW maintenance software that can generate map update keys available for a cost or for nothing at all if you download this stolen software and figure out how to generate update keys.

alohart said:
nitramluap said:
If your car is a 2017 vehicle you should have this for free for a few years I would think?
Seems to be dependent on the market. Nav map updates aren't officially free for any U.S. i3 regardless of model year.

But then someone inevitably posts map updates on sketchy download sites for free downloads. Others steal BMW maintenance software that can generate map update keys available for a cost or for nothing at all if you download this stolen software and figure out how to generate update keys.

So how long do you get the ConnectedDrive features when you purchase a new car in the US? In Australia, we get it for 3 years but we can subscribe to it afterwards for $550 per annum.

We also have the option of purchasing individual subscriptions for various components if that's all you need (ie. RTTI, Map Updates, etc). In fact, BMW appears to have recently refreshed the ConnectedDrive Store. The map update subscription is for 24 months. I expect a 2018 map update in a few months.

FWIW, the map data is really free, but to make it work, you need the FSC code, or it won't load. Depending on the market, you may have an FSC code installed that can handle more than one update, but in the USA, at least for now on the i3, an 'official' FSC code is only valid for one car for one specific version. I recently purchased a lifetime key for each of my two cars. We'll see how it works on the next update...in theory, it should just load without stopping and asking for the FSC code to be entered. Typically, in the next 60-days or so, the new maps will be available for most markets.

BMW had announced last year that newer cars would get free OTA updates, but it was being phased in as they supplied newer cellular tech for the car. The older stuff used tech that was too slow to be reliable for the volume of data needed. On the i3, if I remember, the update did not fit on a 32G USB drive...I had to use a larger one. OTA updates could be done in chunks, verses all at once as is done when you use a USB drive. Make sure it is formatted in FAT32, or the car won't recognize it.

jadnashuanh said:
We'll see how it works on the next update...in theory, it should just load without stopping and asking for the FSC code to be entered.

I tried mine as a test run (the versions were the same) and it only required me to enter the VIN before allowing the download. I presume the FSC is linked to the VIN then at BMW's end?

jadnashuanh said:
Downloading the data verses getting it uploaded to the car are two different things, I think, if I understand what you're talking about.

In my case, downloading the data from BMW requires a valid VIN linked to an active Map Update subscription. Only then will it start the download. Once complete, it dumps it onto a USB drive. During the process it specifically states that the downloaded data will only work with the specific VIN entered.

Once the data is on the USB drive, and I'm updating it in the vehicle using iDrive, I don't have to enter anything - I presume the VIN restriction is be embedded in the downloaded data somewhere (to be honest, I didn't bother looking at the files in detail)

I am not sure what I just did.

Paid $143.00 to BMW.

I am guessing, that I just ordered the updates for two years.
Something about a two year code.
Apparently, coming on an USB thumb drive.

Thank you for the help.

I will keep you updated.

Was in my friend's brand new 2 series the other day, and noticed his map is so much cleaner and smooth.

A new interface/GUI.

Are we going or able to get such an update?

BWW reimbursed my money.

The email said that it was not necessary.

They ask that I check in with them, the next time I am in the dealership.

I got money back from BMW.

I just bought a connected drive store update for $50. My 2017 i3 REX doesn’t take the update. Maybe I’m missing something, but can’t make the thing do a software update, it comes back with a QR code and message stating connected drive store not available.

Anyone know what this is?

Thank you.

A 2017 can't do a remote update. You will need to download the 'updater' software onto a computer, use that to download the new update, copy it on a USB drive, plug the USB drive into the idrive in the car and use the idrive menu to complete the update from the USB stick.

Back