Turn off the Passenger seat , seat belt warnings alert

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EVMan

I noticed , keeping laptop on the passenger side seat triggers the warning alerts with audio.
I started keep it down.
But on a recent l trip i had no choice but to keep two carry on bags on passenger seat , with both rare seats occupied with kids. The trunk was not available with stroller in it.

Is there a way we can tell the car, its not a passenger on the passenger set and stop the audio alerts ??

Many Thanks

If other dont have the issue of getting alerts , when you keep a laptop or a bag on passenger side , then it may be a defective sensor in my car.

It's quit normal for the alarm to be triggered above a certain weight.

A quick fix is to just put in the seatbelt in the lock.

You can disable the airbag for the passenger's side, but I think that switch resets each time you turn the car off. If you do that when there's nobody there, it might save a little on your repair bill, should you get into a situation where they are triggered.

My car is due for a service , and i am curious if keeping a laptop -triggering the alarm is normal or a defect in my i3 ?

I have rented so many different cars , and always keep my laptop bag in the front passenger side . I never had any cars getting confused between people and bags. I never rented a BMW though.

If its something specific to my car , i will request a fix , while i have free service.

I don't know the actual location of the pressure sensor or when it turns on...but, I'd try laying the case down, not on the edge, if that's how you place it, or the opposite. Some laptop cases can be quite heavy, especially if you carry a bunch of crud in them. Mine goes off on occasion when I have something on the seat, but most of the time, it's empty. I haven't played with it to determine where or how much weight is needed to trigger it. It may just be the location, and not the weight that triggers it, that differs between models and brand.

I just keep it down in the middle of the seat , not on the edge.
Just keeping the macbook Pro without a bag or in a bag will trigger it.

I suspect the other cars use a combination of pressure on the backrest , to differentiate between weight and a person.
In my my other car a "Passenger side airbag off" light turns on , if i keep a bag , indicating that the car is turning Airbag off, as it may be a car seat, and not a person.
I believe this may be a requirement , to turn off airbag , if in case a CAR SEAT is kept on the passenger seat

Can anyone please confirm if a laptop creates issue on passenger side ?

I can confirm that whenever I put my 4.7lb laptop on the passenger seat, I eventually get the seatbelt alarm until I remove the laptop and put it in the floor. 2014 BEV

As some one replied above , the simple way to disable the alarm is to put the seatbelt in. Coding not really needed
But , its probably not the best solution , as it will still arm the air bag.
Ideally , the sensor should be fixed so , when no person sits in passenger side, the air bag is disabled.

seal-belt-alarm-stop.jpg

Back