Regenerative braking is a nutshell

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lesterbmwi3

When you drive an electric vehicle energy flows flrom batteries to the wheels via the electric motor.Bottom:When you brake, energy flows from the wheels to the batteries via the motor,which works as an electric generator.Next time you switch on the power,you can reuse the energy you stored during braking.But the most energy you recuperate when you don't use a brake just you don't use accelerator pedal and car is slowing .Every blog is describing when you use a brake you generate extra electricity going to battery /WRONG/ only when you decelerating a car is building kinetic energy going back to battery .Regen only works like you downshift manual transmission on gasoline car or you coasting down hill .To save energy this car I 3 can coast on flat road 50-56 miles /hr on echo pro+ mode without pressing on accelerator.BMW or dealers are not educating people how to use those cars . I'm doing 100 miles on 2014 with strategic driving or 60 miles as I'm driving like race car driver.Own 2014 Bmw I 3 :911. 944 and Honda Accord .

Hello,
I am a one day new owner. Are you saying don't use the brake as much to get regenerated energy to the battery? Thanks.
C

New to the forum... wouldn't a more accurate description of this function be regenerative deceleration? The brakes have nothing to do with generating as far as I can tell.

Interesting on my Honda Jazz Hybrid (about to be replaced by a I3) the regenerating is at its maximum when braking. Have to retrain my right foot!!

While you could use the brake pedal as a regeneration adjuster, when you are actually engaging the friction brakes, you're creating heat, not electricity! On the i3, you use the accelerator pedal as the adjuster on your speed, whether it is going or slowing, and only use the brake pedal to actually engage the brakes when regeneration is not enough. The computer will always be trying to regen when slowing, but it will be trying to adjust how fast you slow based on how much actual friction braking is being used so that the transition/combination of regeneration and friction braking is smooth. For a new user, one of the most disconcerting things is when you go over a bump while slowing...the computer will decrease or even eliminate regen (or acceleration - slowing is actually negative acceleration, for that matter), when it senses the suspension being unloaded. That's to prevent a rapid change in the wheel rotation, that could put a major shock into the drivetrain when full traction is regained after the bump.

Back