New owner- need level 2 evse suggestions

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmbi3

Hello, we just purchased a used 2015 i3 bev in Ohio.

Researching level 2 evse that I can install in our garage.
Overwhelmed with options.
Tried searching this forum with little luck.

Could anyone suggestion a product?

I think I would like:
30A cord
12-25 feet is fine.
Hardware or plug, either is fine.
Wall mount or portable, either is fine.

Seems excessive to spend $500

Thank you.

First, a bit of infrastructure...the largest EVSE the US spec i3 can handle (up to now, at least) is about 32A which will require a minimum of a 40A circuit to meet the electrical code (80% rule applies for this type of item). The charging circuit in the i3 can handle up to 7400W. Power (watts) = voltage applied * current, so depending on what your supply voltage is (mine varies between about 235-248 depending on the season and time of day, yours will likely be different), you might max out the i3 with a 30A unit, but if your voltage is lower, 32A may be better. At least with today's battery pack and built-in charging, bigger isn't necessary, but your next vehicle may be able to accept more. IT will still work, just take longer, but unless they get huge, well before an overnight charge time window.

You have to decide if you want a 'plain' unit, or want some extra features (that will add costs). A basic unit will have some idiot lights. A more complex unit may have: Wi-Fi monitoring and sometimes control, adjustable output based on what it is plugged into, a display to show the voltage, current, and total watts delivered, and probably some other items as well.

You won't break anything if your EVSE can support more than your car can, but they do cost more to both buy and to install (the wire gets quite expensive as it gets larger to enable more current to flow).

I've had good luck with my Clipper Creek unit. Most of them today are pretty good. More features - larger capacity = more cost. Only you can decide if that's worthwhile. IN my particular situation, even getting a 40A circuit was a challenge. You may or may not have excess capacity in your panel to support a larger one, or maybe even a smaller one!

When we bought the early 2014 i3 in our area, most 32A or more chargers were expensive. Juicebox arrived into the market and is well made and economical. Also has wifi to check and control the charging. We have run the 240v 40A version since 2015 with no issues. The i3 will max charge at 32A 240v.

https://emotorwerks.com/products/charging-stations/juicebox#table

If you are planning on ever traveling where plugshare sites are spotty, you might consider the 24 amp Clipper Creek LCP 30 unit with a 50 amp plug (Nema 14-50). You could plug it in at home, and you can also plug it in at camp sites that have what they call a 50 amp service. The unit is small and it its in the front trunk compartment along with the 110 unit that comes with the car.Very handy. I have used mine at a campsite that was far more convenient than what I could find on plugshare on one stretch that we occasionally take. There is an app called parkadvisor for camp sites. Look for the ones that say they have 50 amp service and see if they would be willing to let you charge. The 24 amps of the unit gives you about 30% of your battery every hour or 1% every two minutes. I also have a Clipper Creek 32 amp hardwired and shared on plugshare. They are nice units, and the people that work there are very helpful. If you are on a budget, you might keep an eye on craigslist. I have seen a Clipper Creek and Siemens (sp?) unit each selling for about $175 less than new. Best of luck! Oh, plugshare allows you to filter your results. You can find some Nema 14-50 plug ins this way but not most of them. Between parkadvisor and plugshare, I am well covered where I live.. at the end of the earth next to the mighty Pacific.

Hi, if you are still looking for an EVSE we have a virtually unused one. Its a Bosch PowerXpress plug-in type that is NEMA 4X for indoor/outdoor installation,.....https://www.boschevsolutions.com/charging-stations/power-xpress?sku=EL-50600-D.... it has an 8" pigtail on the power in side and a 25' cable on the car side. We used it for about a month before going to an permanent installation type and have all the original paperwork if you're interested.

ladriver said:
Hi, if you are still looking for an EVSE we have a virtually unused one. Its a Bosch PowerXpress plug-in type that is NEMA 4X for indoor/outdoor installation,.....https://www.boschevsolutions.com/charging-stations/power-xpress?sku=EL-50600-D.... it has an 8" pigtail on the power in side and a 25' cable on the car side. We used it for about a month before going to an permanent installation type and have all the original paperwork if you're interested.

If you still have the EVSE, how much do you want for it? and would you ship it?

We still have the unit and can ship it by UPS, FedEx or USPS, it weighs about 18lb complete, any reasonable offer will be accepted and the shipping cost will be added to it.

I would highly recommend OpenEVSE:
https://store.openevse.com

Keeping in mind that an EVSE is basically a remotely-controlled power switch, the ridiculous prices that some of the commercial units go for is borderline robbery.

JuiceBox and OpenEVSE are more of a crowd-sourced solution. Risks are that some may not have UL certification. Do the research here to see if you're comfortable with this. If you're handy with a soldering iron you can save quite a bit more by ordering one a "build-it-yourself" kit.

I've not found the i3's "departure time" and low-cost charging windows to be trustworthy so I rely on the timer in my OpenEVSE. Check with your utility to see if they offer Time-Of-Use pricing. Depending on what they offer and your personal usage habits, you might be able to charge at a much lower cost. Using my OpenEVSE's timer allows me to charge during my utility's lowest-price tier (67% less than on-peak charging).

As opposed to a DC fast charger, an EVSE is, as stated, a semi-smart on/off switch, with the charging circuit IN the car. They really shouldn't cost a lot of money. The most expensive part of it is the cable and plug. It's basically a GFCI, a small power supply to run the logic and some safety interlocks, then a high power switch which could be either solid state or a mechanical relay or contactor. The more expensive ones may be prettier and may offer some additional displays and controls, but the basic device is pretty simple.

I suppose for all the hobbyists out there that want to mess around with 220v A/C power wielding a soldering iron, running the risk of a fire, potential local electrical code violations and damage to who knows what, building you own EVSE might seem like an attractive option.

Or, you can spend a couple of hundred dollars, buy a UL Rated unit with factory support and sleep easy at night.

Regarding the delayed charging issue, in three years of living with an i3 we never had any issues with the car not charging as programmed during the off-peak time of 10pm to 6am PST (SCE).
The new i3 we just picked up did have a problem that was solved at the dealership by replacement of the EME (Electrical Motor Electronics) unit, under warranty of course and I expect no further issues with it.

If you've not worked with electricity or soldered before, starting work on an EVSE could be one of the last decisions you will ever make above ground. The safety risks are not trivial and the penalties for making errors are easily lethal.

However, EVs do attract technically-minded folk – and amongst them are those that have the appropriate skills.

The OpenEVSE people are a responsive group. The best of their units incorporate the full set of SAE safety checks, things that some off-the-shelf EVSEs omit. WiFi (for remote power management) has been available for years on some of these units. OpenEVSE hardware is even at the heart of crazy units like this!

(4-position, 80A per-drop, UL-listed EVSE)
https://www.wattzilla.com/products/quadzilla.htm

ClipperCreek modelHCS Ruggedized 5years warranty made in USA 240V 32 A with 14-50 plug 25 ft cable Safety Certifaied if you drop this unit still survaive an abuse plug in or hard wire 2 years later works good I’m happy with it

I have a Siemans and love it. It has 4 settings for delayed start times. 2, 4, 6, 8 hour increments. This way I've never had to set delay times in the car. It is also removable, so if I ever move I can unplug it and take the unit with me. It has a 25 foot cord that easily reaches the I3 and can also connect to our 2017 Volt that has the charge port on the driver side front fender, a longer span when parked to the right of the I3 as the unit is to the left and back of the BMW.
The unit throbs/pulsates green when charging...nice effect at night. Always wonder what the neighbors think if they see that through my windowed side door.
Got it on Amazon and works great. Has more than paid for itself in the 20 months I've had it. Check it out.

Back