Stop sale affecting used i3 pricing?

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

amcdonal86

I have been semi-serious about getting a used 2014 i3 over the last 4 or 5 months or so, and in the last month or so I've noted a decline in prices for the i3. One thing I'm curious about--is the stop sale affecting used car prices in your opinion?

Sadly, as with any used electric vehicle, every day that passes the car's technology becomes that much more outdated. In fact, I think the whole i3 line (even the new ones) now compete poorly with the Chevy Bolt and the Tesla Model 3, even just in terms of range. Therefore the amount I am personally willing to spend on an i3 also goes lower and lower!

In fact, I think the whole i3 line (even the new ones) now compete poorly with the Chevy Bolt and the Tesla Model 3, even just in terms of range. Therefore the amount I am personally willing to spend on an i3 also goes lower and lower!

Don’y forget the Hyundai Ioniq - greater range, more tech and comfort inc (leather seats/heated steering wheel ect) and only around £25K!

amcdonal86 said:
Sadly, as with any used electric vehicle, every day that passes the car's technology becomes that much more outdated. In fact, I think the whole i3 line (even the new ones) now compete poorly with the Chevy Bolt and the Tesla Model 3, even just in terms of range. Therefore the amount I am personally willing to spend on an i3 also goes lower and lower!

Why sadly?

It must be great to be in your position! You can get the best deal and value for money. Just go ahead and get the EV you want. :)

amcdonal86 said:
Sadly, as with any used electric vehicle, every day that passes the car's technology becomes that much more outdated. In fact, I think the whole i3 line (even the new ones) now compete poorly with the Chevy Bolt and the Tesla Model 3, even just in terms of range.
Regardless of the age of our 2014 i3 BEV's technology, there isn't a new EV with the same characteristics that we require: short, light hatchback with rear wheel drive and corrosion-free construction. The Bolt's form factor is suitable, but front wheel drive and relatively heavy steel construction eliminates it from our consideration. The Model 3 is too long and heavy, and a sedan form factor isn't as convenient for us as our i3. Its mostly steel construction is not attractive in our humid, salty environment.

So we'll stick with our i3 until it becomes too expensive to maintain.

alohart said:
So we'll stick with our i3 until it becomes too expensive to maintain.

Pretty much my thinking, too. Out i3 with its current range fits our requirements perfectly. As you say, once it becomes too expensive to maintain, we might go for a second hand 2nd gen BEV or REx.

What kind of maitinance you expect 5years later None, as long your mileage is 80-60 a day or week you good for next 10 years no rust no brakes no nothing just tires electric motor and transmission should last forever do you know electric motors in elevators i Manhattan were install 100 yr ago by Otis and they still running I’m driving i3 5 K a year with no problems the best for free bc I own solar panel s in N Y if you need to travel longer distances is not a car but is still the best in comfort handling and disaign compare to Bolt and the rest the fastest the lightest and still BMW and the best front sit of all this cars to sit with my 6,1 frame 200 lbs I checked all of them Bmw have the best sit for comfort

Back