Range

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marcell

Hi ,
Im loking to buy a 2e hand i3 :D
Model 2013 2014
60ah batery, no rex only batery :D

Im loking for real live info on,
the normel range possebel? Summer end winter,
I drive in Holland 80 km/h max,

Batery degradatie over 3 ore 4 jears ?

Its hard to find info,

Ore a link to a good info site welcome to,
Menny thanks
Marcel

I've not noticed any battery degradation in 3.5-years or so.

Lower speeds will maximize your available range. A few weeks ago, we had a stretch of VERY cold weather...often below zero-F, with the high only in the single digits or so (Fahrenheit). My indicated maximum range got as low as about 40-45-miles. I actually think I could have gotten more, but not if they were all short trips where the car could cool off in between. That's assuming you want the cabin comfortable. The seat heater and a good jacket allows you to forego most of the heating, if required...I usually have it set to about 22C. When it's that cold, the heat pump is mostly unable to do much, and it reverts to resistance heating like the REx's only heating. In the summer, I've seen the estimated range up to a bit over 90-miles. FWIW, the estimated range is only reliable IF your next travel is under the same conditions as the last one, which may or may not happen. I've seen situations where I've driven as much as 10-miles, and the estimated range has not dropped because I was in a more economical situation.

Oke,

I need 75 km evry day, 46,6 mil,

Some one have tips for me is it posseble in a 60 ah bev no rex?
THANKS
All

Marcell said:
I need 75 km evry day, 46,6 mil,
I would think that even on the coldest winter day, 75 km of range would be possible for a 60 Ah i3, especially if you are able to preheat the battery pack while being charged at home, and if your driving speed is moderate. The Netherlands has an excellent DC fast charging infrastructure, in general, so if you bought an i3 with the DC fast charging option (not all early i3's have this option), and if a DC fast charging station is on your 75 km route, on the coldest days, you could stop for 10 minutes to add enough charge to get to your destination.

Hopefully, a Dutch i3 owner will offer his/her advice.

Everyone drives a bit differently, so it's hard to give an absolute, but with your moderate maximum speeds and the indicated maximum distances, on a really cold day, you might not be able to heat the cabin to jacket off temperatures, but you should be able to make it there and back. The community is averaging about 4-miles/Kwhr used. I know Europe tends to use Kwhr/100Km, but you can do the conversion if you like. The original i3's had about 19Kwhr usable. Some of my travels during those cold times was at about 110Km/hr (well, most of it), and it was cold enough where the resistance heating was used verses the heat pump which becomes less effective when you get down that cold. More moderate temperatures and lower speeds help radically to extend your maximum range. This was in comfort mode. If you go to Eco mode, you can typically count on about 10% longer range at least. To really extend things, EcoPro mode adds more again. Those efforts might not be required, and then, probably only on a REALLY cold day.

Here in Chicago we had some -10F days. Estimated range was 45 miles but with full preconditioning and ecopro+ I got 65 miles estimated (50 miles remaining after driving 15 miles).

So far I've had zero range issues in cold weather and my summer range is well beyond spec but I drive city streets not highways.

2015 model year with 20000 miles driven. No battery degradation as far as I can tell.

I recommend getting the VIN and checking the options. In 2014 the charging options were: ~3.5kW; 7.2kW, and; CCS fast DC charging. I would consider the 3.5kW version somewhat limited.

Bob Wilson

CaptainABCD said:
Here in Chicago we had some -10F days. Estimated range was 45 miles but with full preconditioning and ecopro+ I got 65 miles estimated (50 miles remaining after driving 15 miles).

So far I've had zero range issues in cold weather and my summer range is well beyond spec but I drive city streets not highways.

2015 model year with 20000 miles driven. No battery degradation as far as I can tell.
EcoPro+ in -10F weather? You are the man!

The seat heater is pretty good, and if you have a decent jacket, it's not actually all that bad when it's cold out. The seat heater is more efficient than the space heater by probably a factor of at least 3-4. If you can precondition the cabin prior to leaving while still plugged in, that makes it more palatable. The computer will look for fogging on the windshield, and up the output if it detects that, even when in Eco Pro+ mode. You can override the lowered throttle response, but you have to push the pedal a lot further than you normally would. That sort of defeats a fair amount of the computer initiated efficiency attributes, though. Driving moderately can achieve most of the effect of setting a mode, but the computer doesn't forget, which means it will be better. WHat also helps a fair amount, is the adaptive cruise control which eliminates the slight variations you may exert as a human. Steady works best for efficiency. Regen never recovers all that it took to get up to speed.

Battery degrades around 3% per year whether you use it or not. More if you do deep discharges everyday.

Get car with CCS and Heat Pump & heated seats as a minium on a 60Ah BEV.

EcoPro+ turns off pretty much everything even seat heaters unless re-coded. It is very easy to steam up the windscreen in this mode.

Eco Pro more useable.

3.5 year old car driven at sensible but still below speed limit gets 50 miles mild UK winter, 80 ish in summer including preconditioning before departure.

Real useage from grid is higher than car says from battery. If you estimate 2.5 miles instead of 4 miles per kWh you shouldn't run out in winter.

Back