Breakdown of Maintenance prices?

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EVBob

Greetings all,

Our beloved i3 is going to hit the 50K miles soon. We managed to put on 21K miles in 10 months of ownership...

With that, the warranty will go with it when this happens...Anyone care to chime in how much the following services will charged by BMW?

- Annual Vehicle Check
- Brake Fluid Check
- REx oil change
- Any other scheduled maintenance?
- Brake pads should last a long time, since we barely use them?

I can probably do the oil change and brake fluid check myself, but have no idea how to reset the notification/counter on the i3 itself - so would have to go to the dealer to get those items done?

The i3 should be similar to my other BMW, and a brake fluid flush on it recently cost me $89. That should be done every 2 calendar years from build date, not when you bought it. For example, mine was built in APril, but I took delivery in June...the brake fluid check is due in April, not June. ECSTuning has a pressure kit they sell to make brake bleeding easy, and you will break about even for your first one, and save a lot after that.

I have a BEV, so don't know about the oil changes. You need to check the antifreeze as well. That may be a permanent solution, or maybe 100K miles, so you probably won't need to do anything on that other than maybe check the pH and level.

Someone may have a feel on how long they allocate for a vehicle check...then, that times the shop's hourly rate. I'm guessing, they'd charge at least an hour, but that's a guess. The cabin air filter may be due. There isn't really all that much that needs to be done.

jadnashuanh said:
ECSTuning has a pressure kit they sell to make brake bleeding easy, and you will break about even for your first one, and save a lot after that.

How would one reset the reminder to Brake Fluid check reminder? Without knowledge on how to reset the reminders/counters you still need to have the dealership perform service...unless one is ok with annoying reminders every time they start the car...

EVBob said:
How would one reset the reminder to Brake Fluid check reminder? Without knowledge on how to reset the reminders/counters you still need to have the dealership perform service...unless one is ok with annoying reminders every time they start the car...

1. Hit the on/off button without pressing the brake (should be in accessory mode)
2. Press and hold the trip odo reset button for ~10 sec. The display will say "reset possible"
3. Quick press the trip odo button to scroll through to whatever needs resetting
4. Long press the trip odo button; it'll say something like "reset?" Long press again to confirm

I just changed the oil on my i3 yesterday. I'm glad to state that I didn't have to drain the oil from underneath. Instead I used a vacuum extractor and I got every drop of it out without having to crawl under. I did however had to get down to swap the oil filters but that did not required lifting up the vehicle. I inserted a 3/8 inch diameter hose through the dipstick tube. I checked the engine diagram which seemed to suggest this was possible before I considering doing this.

In case it ever comes up in Trivial Pursuit, I just paid the dealership $329 (with tax) for the scheduled 2-year brake fluid change and checkup inspection on my 2015 BEV. I didn't mind paying, since it is a new-to-me car and having another set of eyes check it out was worth the money. They swapped out the expired fix-a-flat can for free as part of the service, not that I would ever use it out of fear of destroying a TPMS sensor.....

In case it ever comes up in Trivial Pursuit, I just paid the dealership $329 (with tax) for the scheduled 2-year brake fluid change and checkup inspection

Thanks, mine is coming up in July, same thing - new to me car, and was wondering what to expect.

Back