Video playback I the i3

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lemonypye

Hi all,

I finally managed to download the BMW i drivers guide from the German App Store, and the googled a valid VIN number for an i3 (mine shows up as not valid for some reason). I've started to browse the manual and came across the multimedia section. It looks like you can play video back on the centre idrive display. I've attached a screen shot of the relevant section of the manual.

Chris.

How did you buy from the german iTunes store?

When i tried to register an account without a valid German address - it just redirected me to the UK store.

Jeremy said:

When i tried to register an account without a valid German address - it just redirected me to the UK store.

Surely you can just find any German address online (try a government department or something). You might need to use a proxy server to stop iTunes detecting your location.

It's quite simple really :

Log out of iTunes
Switch to the German store (click on the flag at the bottom of the iTunes window)
Search for the app
Download the app
At this point it will ask you to either login, or create an iTunes account.
Creat the account using a different email address than your proper account.
When asked for your payment method, select None.
I just stuck an address of a hotel in Munich in there.

Job done.

Hope this helps
Chris

Jeremy said:

Has anybody got video playback working? I can't find anything showing it working (e. on youtube), and can't seem to find an option in our car

I've not yet tried viewing video in the i3, but I'm fairly sure in the U.S. market, the car has to be in Park for it to work. And I seem to recall reading that the head unit is particular about the type of video file that can be read from the USB drive.

You can also code the car to play video while in under way.

HU_NBT module
3000 > SPEEDLOCK_X_KMH_MAX werte = FF
3000 > SPEEDLOCK_X_KMH_MIN werte = FF
3000 > VIDEO_HANDBRAKE set to: nicht_aktiv
3000 > VIDEO_FRONT_LOCKED set to: nicht_aktiv
3000 > VIDEO_SPEEDLOCK_CONDITION set to: none = 00

This was the very first product from dvdinmotion.com followed by their REx Hold option. Their name kinda sorta describes what they do......

I've got enhanced Bluetooth (whatever that's got to do with playing video from USB), but no video shows up in media> more media

websterize said:
In what format is the video encoded?

Well I've tried various, but mostly Mp4 h264. None off them shows up in the media list, and the menu doesn't show 'video' as one of the 'more media' options. My assumption was that that option only shows up when there are video files the i3 considers readable. My dealer says that the "i3 does not play videos".

In Europe, I think one of the options is a TV tuner, so my guess is that the car can display video, but it may be disabled for the USA. The backup camera is a digital signal, BTW, not analog, but then anything you got off of a USB stick would be digital as well.

I'm in the UK (there's no TV Tuner option). The Android manual (downloaded based on my VIN), like the one earlier shows it as being able to play video.

kc1 said:
I'm in the UK (there's no TV Tuner option). The Android manual (downloaded based on my VIN), like the one earlier shows it as being able to play video.

I got mine to play MP4 Divex and Another QuickTime format, can't remember at the moment, but only the audio. No video :x

i have video player working now you have to have pro navigation(6nr) and add (6ns)enhanced Bluetooth in the fa coding i will look up and post what else i changed. in an hour or so.

in FDL coding
HU_NBT

3000>SPEEDLOCK_X_MAX werte=FF
3000>SPEEDLOCK_X_MIN werte=FF
3000>VIDEO_HANDBRAKE nicht_activ
3000>VIDEO_FRONT_LOCKED nicht_activ
3000>video_SPEEDLOCK_CONDITION none=00
3000>ENT_CODEC_XVID =activ
3000>ENT_CODEC_XVCD =activ
3003>API_USB_VIDEO =both

busaman said:
i have video player working now you have to have pro navigation(6nr) and add (6ns)enhanced Bluetooth in the fa coding i will look up and post what else i changed. in an hour or so.
. Thanks, would you mind posting a picture or video clip of it working so that I Van prove its capable of doing it to the dealer?

here you go not best quality with my phone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T9SV_f2kg2c&feature=youtu.be

Back