2014 I3 with15,000kms showing 19.3 kWh battery

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SJG

Hi
I’m about to purchase this car tomorrow but I’m just checking that the battery health is ok?
Apparently the full 25kwh is never useable and the car dealer says the battery is excellent?
Can anyone advise? Thanks

I have a 2014 and my battery is in excellent condition. Ask the dealer to fully charge it. At room temperature my car has a range between 112 and 130 km. The colder it is, the lower the range. It's hard to measure. There's a Batt Kappa thing you can try too, but that's notoriously unreliable. Here's a link to an article: https://insideevs.com/bmw-i3-winter-range-reduction-tips-offsetting-cold-weather-impact/

SJG said:
I’m about to purchase this car tomorrow but I’m just checking that the battery health is ok?
Apparently the full 25kwh is never useable and the car dealer says the battery is excellent?
An i3's battery pack has a long warranty. i3 battery packs have been holding their capacity quite well, so the battery pack would be the least of my worries.

When new, a 2014 i3's battery pack had a nominal gross capacity of 21.8 kWh, not 25 kWh. Of that, 18.8 kWh were usable nominally. The service menu reports a Batt. Kapa. max (maximum usable battery pack capacity) value which can vary by 2 kWh from reading to reading, so this value is only a calculated estimate which likely depends on temperature, recently charging and discharging conditions, and probably other variables.

After having been driven only 15k km, the battery pack should be in excellent condition. The i3's battery management system does a good job of preventing a driver from damaging the battery pack by preventing overcharging and overdischarging.

Back