Ronmamaci3

Should I reverse coding before taking it into BMW for service?

Sun May 20, 2018 11:41 am

Got my first cel when rex turned on today. Going to take it in to get it checked out. I have rex at 75% active plus the larger fuel tank. Will it void my warranty if I have these features on while getting serviced.

bwilson4web

Re: Should I reverse coding before taking it into BMW for service?

Sun May 20, 2018 8:10 pm

Ronmamaci3 wrote:Got my first cel when rex turned on today. Going to take it in to get it checked out. I have rex at 75% active plus the larger fuel tank. Will it void my warranty if I have these features on while getting serviced.
No.

Before you take it in, check the REx oil level.

Bob Wilson
20k/27k mi 2014 BMW i3-REx
10k/10k mi 2017 Prius Prime

EVBob

Re: Should I reverse coding before taking it into BMW for service?

Mon May 21, 2018 7:30 am

Personally, I remove all the coding before taking our i3s in for warranty servicing. Even though you are covered under the Magnuson–Moss Warranty Act - I wouldn't want to raise suspicions or an argument with the dealer/service center - it only takes one input from an ignorant dealer/service center that you did something to void the warranty on the vehicle record to make it a real hassle to get it cleared up by BMW HQ.

I recall there was one story, where someone coded their i3 and also did the folding mirrors when parked - that alone tipped off the service tech to not work on the car at all, until the owner came by and removed all the coding before diagnosing whatever issue the car had....

If you coded with the Bimmercode app - it takes only a few minutes to undo all your modifications. Compared with E-sys that takes a while longer and is a real PITA.

Return to “General / Main i3 Owners Forum”