Should I reverse coding before taking it into BMW for service?

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ronmamaci3

Got my first cel when rex turned on today. Going to take it in to get it checked out. I have rex at 75% active plus the larger fuel tank. Will it void my warranty if I have these features on while getting serviced.

Ronmamaci3 said:
Got my first cel when rex turned on today. Going to take it in to get it checked out. I have rex at 75% active plus the larger fuel tank. Will it void my warranty if I have these features on while getting serviced.
No.

Before you take it in, check the REx oil level.

Bob Wilson

Personally, I remove all the coding before taking our i3s in for warranty servicing. Even though you are covered under the Magnuson–Moss Warranty Act - I wouldn't want to raise suspicions or an argument with the dealer/service center - it only takes one input from an ignorant dealer/service center that you did something to void the warranty on the vehicle record to make it a real hassle to get it cleared up by BMW HQ.

I recall there was one story, where someone coded their i3 and also did the folding mirrors when parked - that alone tipped off the service tech to not work on the car at all, until the owner came by and removed all the coding before diagnosing whatever issue the car had....

If you coded with the Bimmercode app - it takes only a few minutes to undo all your modifications. Compared with E-sys that takes a while longer and is a real PITA.

I used the bimmer app to set "hold charge" at 75%, and also accessed the maximum fuel tank on my 2016 i3rex. I need to take my car in to have it serviced, and used so used the app to revert to prior coding, but the "hold charge" function is still activated...I think it may be due to helping someone else recode their key fob to climatize. In any event, does anyone know how to reset to factory coding using the bimmer app if there's no saved code?

I have not yet needed to take my 2020 i3S in for any repair, service or warranty work. I am trying to make the push for us to stop saying "coding" or "coded". None of us have coded our i3 cars. We simply and merely used Bimmercode to activate/unlock features that the i3 already has, was designed to have and other markets around the world have some or many of the options we are activating. I have only activated hold state of charge on my 2020 i3. I so want to do the mirrors, but I also figured this could be obvious since US spec i3 do not have this :(

With that being said, BMW Group can be a nightmare for trying to get out of the warranty. A few years back I had to take my RR Phantom in for service as the rotating infotainment screen would randomly not close when turning the car off as it should. My RR was at the dealer for days and days and Service called me and said BMW Group was trying to blame the problem on me! They said they found a microfiber cloth in the side door compartment (I use it to clean my sunglasses; smudges drive me nuts, LOL). BMW Group tried to say that maybe I am using the microfiber cloth on the infotainment screen and electricity sparks are causing the screen to malfunction :-O Literally WTF!! I went down slugging and yelling and eventually won....but do not put anything past BMW!!!

My 2014 i3 BEV has been extensively coded since 2016. My dealer is one of the top three selling dealerships in the US.

I've never reverted coding when bringing my i3 in for service and the dealer has never once mentioned a concern with my car having been coded. They've even advocated for (and BMW NA agreed to) significant goodwill post-warranty assistance.

Perhaps this has a lot to do with the individual dealer and district manager?

I have brought my 2017 i3 REX still under warranty into the dealer for routine brake service and did not de-acrivate or reverse any changes made through Bimmercode, including automatic folding mirrors. Nothing was mentioned. Even my 12 Volt battery was replaced under warranty and the changes stuck. Whcih is what I wanted.

Lysander said:
I have brought my 2017 i3 REX still under warranty into the dealer for routine brake service and did not de-acrivate or reverse any changes made through Bimmercode, including automatic folding mirrors. Nothing was mentioned. Even my 12 Volt battery was replaced under warranty and the changes stuck. Whcih is what I wanted.

Wow,,,this is good to know. Thanks :)

Back