i3 insurance rates

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EVMan

Any idea, if i3 insurance rates are better with a insurance company.
I have from Liberty Mutual , and they look to be on the higher side .

Shop around! My local agent quoted me a price that was 3 times higher (not kidding!) than the policy I ended up getting from Geico. Some of the smaller insurers charge a huge premium for the i3.

USAA here. My policy, coming from a 2016 Honda Accord to a 2017 i3 REx, was nominally higher. Not enough to jump ship. Within reason, in my opinion, considering the spendy repair costs. It's my understanding i3s are totaled out after collisions many other vehicles could come back from.

DigitalEl said:
USAA here. My policy, coming from a 2016 Honda Accord to a 2017 i3 REx, was nominally higher. Not enough to jump ship. Within reason, in my opinion, considering the spendy repair costs. It's my understanding i3s are totaled out after collisions many other vehicles could come back from.
FWIW, the frame of the i3 is designed to be cut off in 3 different locations, depending on the damage, and new ones bonded back on. Certainly, not everyone can do this, and a BMW dealership must undergo special training and buy special equipment to be able to do it, and by no means have all of them decided to make that investment...but, the i3 CAN be repaired after an accident probably in many of the situations that others can...but, a side impact probably would total it if it wasn't at one end or the other. All of the panels bolt on and bounce back from minor damage, but can be quickly replaced, if needed.

I'll be going from a 2016 e-Golf SE to a 2018 i3s Rex fully loaded next week. The premium difference is only $30/month on State Farm with an umbrella home/car policy. I was surprised that State Farm was significantly less than Geico.

I wouldn't be able to know if the price somehow differs from different cars that matches the age and the model however whenever I used to live in Germany this one car definitely had one of the best and cheapest insurance coverage as its a fully electric and new car. I most definitely am paying for my previous way less than my wife with her w118 however it might also depend a lot of the insurance company also as I work with the best one out there joywallet.com in my personal opinion.

Back