Unknown symbol pops up in iDrive display

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tbj1972

Hi Guys and Girls
I have question, I have symbol that pops above the radio/sat-nav display. it comes and goes but is most often there when I start driving home from the office. it pops up between the clock and the phone signal strength symbols.
the symbol is round and looks like a lollipop in circle that's crossed over by a line

does anybody know what this is and what the car is trying to tell me?

regards
T

Does the symbol look like this?

nH0VO0s.png

I'm kind of curious which symbol it is and if we could figure out what it indicates.
-Tim

thanks for your reply :)
I'm not sure how to upload pictures in here.. if you tell me how, I can upload a pic of it
but it looks a bit like the one you posted but the inner circle is more blimp shaped and not round, and it's placed on the top part of the vertical line.
Thomas

I usually use Imgur when uploading a photo to quickly share online, you don't need an account. After uploading if you hover over the image it will pop-up a window where you can "Get Share Links." Copy the text from the section titled "BBCode(Forums)" and paste into your forum comment.

hi, why didn't I think of that.. must be getting old.. ;-)
here's a link to the album with two pics of the mysterious thing : https://imgur.com/a/E8jxCzt

regards
Thomas

Ah, a globe with a slash through it. I am pretty sure BMW's symbol for Connected Drive is a globe like that, too bad the documentation for it always seems so poor. If I had to guess I would imagine that is the symbol saying the car lost the 3G data connection used for Connected Drive. Do you take a different route home from the office that might have an area of poor cell reception?
-Tim

hi
that may be it! the cell coverage is poor a few places along my daily route. I will keep an eye on this today and see if my cell drops out the same place as the thing pops up :)
thanks buddy !

Good luck! It will be interesting to hear how your phones report of signal strength correlates to the iDrive status icon.
-Tim

OK, so I tested this on the way back and forth to the office, and there seems to be little correlation between the phone's signal and the car's signal strength.
Having said that in Norway we have 2 major providers and the car may be on the different/other one than the phone.
I will try to find out which of the two BMW uses

will keep you posted next week

regards and have a great weekend
Thomas

In the US, the i3's data connection (ConnectedDrive) is 3G. The loss of that data connection is the "globe" icon with a strike-through (as tjburbach noted).

The phone's signal strength is shown as an ascending ramp of bars.

It's possible to have 100% phone signal strength but no ConnectedDrive link. I sometimes get this when I'm parked in a garage or under a tree.

Back