Any trunk bike rack for i3? Saris Bone works?

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jshac

Hi,

Is there anyone who uses a trunk bike rack happily on i3? I googled around but I could not find a definite answer. For example, Saris Bone 2- or 3- Bike will work on i3? Saris website doesn't say it would fit i3. I'm wondering whether a trunk bike rack would be generally ok or not and how much it would be able to handle, considering the glass back panel.

Installing a Torklift's EcoHitch seems to be a good option. However, buying an EcoHitch and a hitch bike rack will be more expensive than just buying a trunk bike rack. I saw Seasucker in this forum, but I don't like it. I'd rather go with an EcoHitch.

Bikers with i3, please share your experience.

Thanks,

I have the Torklift trailer hitch and a Thule swing away bike rack that I like very much. They just work.

I tried Yakima's fullback but soon realized that it might break the trunk door. I took it off and return the rack. I've ordered an Ecohitch.

Why won’t this work:

I put a traditional (read:20 years old) Thule trunk mount bike rack on with the following characteristics:

Upper straps: with the trunk fully open, I fed through the opening (was juuuust wide enough at the center of the top), and looped the stock hooks to the interior silver loops in the back (towards the seats) corners of the trunk.

Side straps and bottom straps: I just connected to side and bottom of the door. Critically, I ensured they were wide enough hooks to have some weight against the interior plastic on trunk and not just glass facade.

Rather than tighten such that the rack is at its highest/top-most possible position under the spoiler, I loosened the top straps just a bit so that the rack rests just a bit on the bumper. The bumper is plastic, and doesn’t feel like it can be weight bearing much; I’d say 90% of my weight is coming from the stop straps through the trunk onto the silver connecting hoops. But 10% is on the bumper just to get that bit of weight off the glass.

Thoughts? Am I going to end up with a cracked $3000 rear door??
Thanks for your input!

After 6+ months of daily use with this bike rack, I can report:

- paint is fine
- the weight of the rack somewhat inhibits the trunk to stay open on its own (hugely annoying, but the price to pay for being able to carry bikes without paying for a hitch installation)
- the straps do push down on the plastic at the top of the door which may have lasting visual consequences that I am just assuming a buyer will not notice if/when we sell the car

But the killer:
- in light rain it’s no problem. In heavy downpour, the trunk gets wet. This is because the straps are pushed up against and deform the foam gasket seal. [we only had first downpours last week after 6 months, so this is a new discovery]

Damn it!

Back