Comfort Access - Safety

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EVMan

So i discovered this thing recently : RF id relay to steal cars
I guess the comfort access is same as key-less entry in the i3 ??? and comfort access is less safe then the buttons ???

So i understand , i need to keep my keys safe inside my house and not near the garage and the keys should be shielded , when i have them ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PpcQH_DKSm4
https://electrek.co/2018/10/21/tesla-stealing-video-keyfob-hack/

Can someone confirm my understanding ?
Can we do something to make it safer ? i guess the comfort access needs to be disabled for more safety

Any key that doesn't need pressing to access the car is at risk. The solution is simple.

1. Buy tin of cookies (in an actual metal tin).
2. Eat said cookies!
3. Brush out crumbs from tin and place it where you normally keep your keys
4. Place keys (including spare) in tin
5. Keep lid closed

If you want to test the solution, take the tin containing the keys to the car door and try to get in. The car should refuse as it cannot see the RF signal from the key.

Don't bother with all the fancy gismos online called Faraday cages etc etc. Cookies are tastier!

:D

Good suggestion. Just wanted to add, if some one does not want to eat all the cookies themselves, they can share them too with others!!

There are RFID bags available if you don't want a tin. If you've ever bought memory modules, they probably came in one. They are also static control. Read one story about someone sending back their EasyPass to the state to close their account. INstructions say to place it in the static bag before shipping. They didn't, got charged all along the way as the delivery truck went through tolls pinging their transponder.

jadnashuanh said:
There are RFID bags available if you don't want a tin. If you've ever bought memory modules, they probably came in one. They are also static control. Read one story about someone sending back their EasyPass to the state to close their account. INstructions say to place it in the static bag before shipping. They didn't, got charged all along the way as the delivery truck went through tolls pinging their transponder.

Good point again, without spending too much money....
While we have not seen cases like this in USA, its so quick and easy to steal like this, that its a matter of time....

Concern I’d have is there are plenty of examples in reviews of those pouches not working. Double bagging has been suggested but that’s a real faff.

The tin works and can hold more than one set of keys and bunches of keys.

Gif said:
Concern I’d have is there are plenty of examples in reviews of those pouches not working. Double bagging has been suggested but that’s a real faff.

The tin works and can hold more than one set of keys and bunches of keys.

How about a Tin Can, with a height of 8-10 inches, with no cap. Will that be safe ?
No need to open / close each time.

When out doors, can order a cheap ebay Chinese unbranded type case .

Probably won’t be sufficient to stop the signal getting out. I’d keep it shut to be 100% safe. No doubts then.

Free the catch off so it just flaps shut without being held in position. Easy to open then.

Gif said:
Probably won’t be sufficient to stop the signal getting out. I’d keep it shut to be 100% safe. No doubts then.

Free the catch off so it just flaps shut without being held in position. Easy to open then.

NFC works around 13GHz, and the waves are i believe very directional at that wavelength.

This is nothing new and thieves have been stealing cars for 10yrs using this method. There have been updates that have made it tougher but nothing will stop the really intelligent hackers from getting around it.

PIN to drive is the only way to prevent it, Tesla of course is the only one have to have that option.

i3Houston said:
PIN to drive is the only way to prevent it, Tesla of course is the only one have to have that option.

For now.
In a few years, car will recognize , who enters it, with all those cameras around.
The Tesla chip is coming soon.

Back