UK electric tariffs

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My dealer said that in the US, their electricity providers give them a reduced tariff if they have an electric car because of the higher amount of electricity they're consuming.

Our's is up for renewal in March so we'll see what they say!

If you want eco + electric cars then I'd recommend Ecotricity - they seem more committed to electric cars (see here) than any of the big 6 and their energy is renewable :)

Thanks Jamie, I'm with EDF at the moment,they have a 20/20 tariff which is 20% cheaper than standard rate between 9pm and 8am and all weekend for EV charging. Problem is they won't fix the rate so it could end up more expensive than Ecotricity who I'd rather use anyway.Probaly have to suck it and see for a while!

Wow EDF is actually really expensive - even on the 20/20 split! Ecotricity's Economy 7 tariff looks fairly good for car charging - 15.9p during the day (1.4p more expensive than EDF) but only 7p at night! Obviously that differs depending where you live...

I'm with British Gas (Centrica). Day = 17.47p and Night = 6.01p. Not sure how competitive that is, been meaning to do some ringing round to see if there's anything better out there.

I'm sure that British Gas are offering free electricity for car charging via their Polar charge point installation till the end of March 2015.

Got fed up with big 5 and all the cold calling so now we just say we're with EBICO and haven't looked back.

They are not the cheapest but offer a "not for profit / fair trade" scheme where by the poorest customer get fair fuel prices rather than discounts for those using more power than they need.

No standing charges and best customer service according to Which 2013.

https://www.ebico.org.uk/

They also helped early uptake of the Oxford University's Environmental Change Institute's http://www.imeasure.org.uk/

Well worth signing up for this free energy monitoring service if you are a UK consumer.

I received an email from Ecotricity today stating that if you are a customer they'd give you 1,000 miles worth of free electricity if you can prove you have an electric car (the 1,000 miles was based on a VW E-up! so I presume it's a fixed number of kWh).

jamie94bc said:
I received an email from Ecotricity today stating that if you are a customer they'd give you 1,000 miles worth of free electricity if you can prove you have an electric car (the 1,000 miles was based on a VW E-up! so I presume it's a fixed number of kWh).

That's nice to know thanks.

Does anyone know any more about free electricity from British Gas that BoMW refers too? It sounds too good to be true.

Regards

Bill

Bunter said:
jamie94bc said:

That's nice to know thanks.

Does anyone know any more about free electricity from British Gas that BoMW refers too? It sounds too good to be true.

Regards

Bill

Indeed I was about to post that statement again! I will try to find the link but I recall being quite annoyed with myself when I jumped ship to npower and loosing out on BG offer

BoMW said:
Indeed I was about to post that statement again! I will try to find the link but I recall being quite annoyed with myself when I jumped ship to npower and loosing out on BG offer

So was it only for existing customers?

Bill

Bunter said:
BoMW said:

So was it only for existing customers?

Bill

I think it was but now that I can't find that offer I am doubting whether it was true. I do see a joint offer with polar with regard to free charging at any Polar charger on the road, not sure if it might have been this?

Parallel to this discussion I have started one on recharging points. http://www.mybmwi3.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=642

We switched to Ecotricity who give us some money off as we have a car and free access to their charging network - as well as being as ecological as I can.

Geoff

I rang British Gas last weekend to see if there was a cheaper night tariff for me to move onto and there was. Now paying 4.34p per kWh which is fixed until May 2015.

Plug said:
I rang British Gas last weekend to see if there was a cheaper night tariff for me to move onto and there was. Now paying 4.34p per kWh which is fixed until May 2015.

Do you have a special meter or the standard one Plug?

Bill

Back