BMW I3 to a Subaru Sti

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mamaci3

Considering it because of the heavy snow and would like all wheel drive.

Pros
Cons
Open to feedback

Huh, Interesting.

My previous ICE car was a Subaru Outback 3.6R. There were lots of things I liked about it, and it worked quite well in the snow.

The obvious pros are the drive train layout. Not all AWD systems are made equal, and Subaru has a good one. The WRX STi should also put out more power than the i3 does, and accelerate faster, though it won't have that punch of the starting line that the i3 has. The WRX is also a larger car than the i3. You could also say range, but, you probably wouldn't have bought an i3 in the first place if that was an issue.

The cons are also somewhat obvious. It's an ICE car instead of an EV. I feel like the BMW would have a little bit better luxury feel than the WRX, though you can get some nice trim packages on Subies. I also prefer BMW's electronics (iDrive) to Subaru's system. The ride feels a little bit more refined on my BMW. I feel like my i3 takes corners a little bit better, but I had an Outback, which has worse handling than a WRX STi.

I assume you have a proper winter/snow tire package for your i3? If not, you should really get one if you live where there is heavy snow, it might change your mind about the car's winter performance. You can also get tire chains for severe weather. That being said, AWD cars typically do better than RWD cars in the snow.

Proper winter tires for the STi are not going to be cheap. Get Hakkapellitas or stay home. ;)

Seriously though, for winter driving, they are pretty awesome, but I did make the mistake of staying stock width when I put studded snow tires on my 2005. That car ripped through ice faster than anything else on the road, but was an out of control missile on slush at speed.

Also, expect horrible fuel economy if you like to drive at all.

Honestly, if you really just want something good for the snow, you could make far more practical choices. It's a great car the rest of the year as well though.

Narrower and taller sidewalls are your friends with winter tires. IMHO, the king of studless winter tires this seasons is the Nokian R3 for whatever vehicle you decide to put them on.

Back