Trunk lock stopped latching today.

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Edszhi1

I don't see any other discussions on the topic of a trunk lock not latching. Has anyone else had to have the trunk lock / latch / actuator replaced? I have an i3 with 50,000 miles.

Is it possible that the latch has closed before the hatch has come down . If that was the case then the latch would just hit the catch bar . You could try the unlatch button at the driver's seat or on the hatch itself just to check .

Thank you for your suggestion. With the tailgate open when I push up on the latch (with a screwdriver shaft) the "finger" comes around the pencil but does not latch. I am assuming that it should latch like other latches on other cars.

Either the internal latching mechanism has broken or there is an electronic signal telling the latch to "release" (like if I was pushing the "unlatch" button). I guess I could unplug the latch to make sure there isn't an electronic "release" signal causing this failure. That would pretty much identify the problem as a defective latch.

Thank you Art. I followed the instructions and replaced the latch today. Worked like a snap. I even got to pull out my torque wrench and use it for proper fit.

I am not sure what BMW would have charged to install the latch but it may be one thing on the i3 that is actually easy! (with instructions). I was worried that I would have to realign the trunk lid but it was a perfect fit with no adjustment to the latch-catcher required. I shot some video so I'll try to put it on youtube. Thanks again Art and others for ideas and guidance.

Too bad the latch failed just 6 months after the warranty expired.

I'm looking for the instructions to replace the rear latch. It appears the original links are dead. Can someone point me in the right direction? Thanks.

Hello. I have a video of when I installed the latch. I'll try to get it on you tube today. I don't have any written instructions in my files. The job is extremely easy.

Back