Discrepancy in estimated range between guess-o-meter in car and Connected Drive app

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

symonray

I have been noticing that the estimated range showing on the guess-o-meter inside my 2016 i3 rex at the end of my morning commute is consistently several miles higher than the estimated range showing on the Connected Drive app at the same time. Isn't the Connected Drive app supposedly just relaying the estimated range information generated by the guess-o-meter in the car? Has anyone had a similar experience and/or an opinion about the cause of the discrepancy? Thanks.

symonray said:
I have been noticing that the estimated range showing on the guess-o-meter inside my 2016 i3 rex at the end of my morning commute is consistently several miles higher than the estimated range showing on the Connected Drive app at the same time. Isn't the Connected Drive app supposedly just relaying the estimated range information generated by the guess-o-meter in the car? Has anyone had a similar experience and/or an opinion about the cause of the discrepancy? Thanks.

I noticed that when I first bought my car. I think the "Comfort" mode matches between the car and the app. The Eco Pro and + modes don't. But you are right. The app should "query" the cars GOM and display it.

Look at the last update time status field on the app...it is often behind reality. It's likely that the app's displayed data is the same as what was in the car at that exact moment, but things like the temperature, whether the cooling is activated, and probably other things will cause that SOC value and thus range to vary over time.

Thanks for your insights. I think one reason for the discrepancy is that I have coded my car so that EcoPro is the default driving mode. I assume the Connected Drive app gives range numbers based on Comfort mode.

I just go by the SOC %. In my 2017 BEV, and based on my driving style and settings, every 20% drop in SOC represents a driven distance of +30mi. I've gone +150mi on a full charge many times at 65mph, eco pro mode, ACC on, and hvac off.

Back