2014 purchase

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nicolamac

I am looking at purchasing a 2014. Just wondering of any cons you may want to share. I have had a leaf for 5 years so I am not new to electric. The 2014 has 17,000 KM and the battery looks really good. Any help would be great.

A common fault for a 2014 is a broken motor mount. The original design does not last.

Make sure the motor mount has been replaced and the software updated. There was a recall in the UK. Some dealers ran out of parts and only applied the software update!

This video shows the motor mounts in action:

https://youtu.be/h2GtmvhwtH0

Check the boots (gaiters) around the front and rear shock absorbers.
Check the CVJ boots on the drive shafts
Check the right rear spring.

Check the wipers. There was an update after 2014

If it has a range extender, check the oil filter for rust. A few early ones have been known to rust through, causing total loss of oil!!!

The main reliability issues seem to involve the REx engine, so personally I'd only buy the BEV. As for maintenance, replacing tires every 15-20k miles is the big cost. The battery is generally reliable.

If you're buying a 2014, make sure you get CCS fast charging. It was standard in 2015+. It makes a big difference those rare times when you need it. You can go from 10% to 65% in 12 minutes.

Back