So what ranges are you getting?

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SanSerif

Everyone asks "so, how far can you go?" Before I got the car I had to shrug and say "the brochure says 83 miles - but who knows?" Now I've had the car a week, I can say "I still have no idea!".

Promised range is subject to such a huge number of variables it seems. Not just comfort/eco/eco+ settings but climate control settings, external temperature, etc. Also, as soon as you set a destination in the nav system, range changes, I think, to reflect expected road speeds (any route with a motorway kills it) and possibly even changes in elevation.

If I were forced to answer the question right now, I'd probably say 80 miles unless I use a motorway in which case 60 miles. I've seen promises of more but I wouldn't plan on, say, the 91 miles promised this morning as being there every day. This is in comfort setting but as I'm not a demon driver I don't think the eco settings offer a huge advantage.

You'll notice I've talked about "promised" range when you first fire up in the morning. I have yet to work out just how reliable this figure is. I've not been let down yet and it does seem broadly correct - however I have no idea what it's based upon and I have noticed it change (down!) over the first couple of miles of a day's driving.

I'm going to start recording some numbers once I've thought about which are the key metrics.

For the record, I think my lifetime average is something like 15.3kw/100km

Edit: it's a REx - which, presumably, reduces promised and real range wrt the pure BEV.

Hi,

although I'm usually getting ranges of 100-120 km (60-75 mi) with our i3/REx so far (mostly workday motorway- and out-of-town driving), I'm happy to report that the early spring we're having at the moment is doing something to a) the car and/or b) my driving style, for I clocked an extrapolated range of >175 km (106 mi) electric last friday, driving 30 km (18 mi) motorway in EcoPro, mostly 120 km/m (75 mph) + 22 km (14 mi) out-of-town with the sunroof open in EP+, and an extrapolated >150 km (93 mi) driving 60 km (37 mi) today, with only 5 km (3 mi) of motorway, the rest out-of-town in EcoPro+ with lots of stop and go for speed humps, cyclists and oncomming traffic along the Lekdijk (click for Googmaps/streetwiew, the Netherlands is very nice in places...), again with the sunroof open and the heat turned off. Numbers: friday 52 km (32 mi) with amzingly low 28%, sunday 60 km (37 mi) with 38% of battery charge. With mostly relaxed driving, reaching 100% efficiency :)

Regards, Steven

Over the last 19k miles in my Volt, the electric range seems to vary approximately plus or minus 25% of the rated range (which is 35 miles on a charge). As little as 26 miles in Winter (Dallas, with temps as low as 25F) to low/mid 40s in milder temps. That ignores my handful of "hero" runs where I eclipsed 50 miles on a charge (low, steady speeds, mild temps, etc.). As others have said...low temps and freeway speeds are the killer. With regard to the latter it gets pretty bad above 65 mph. My guess is the EPA will rate the i3 at 80 miles on a charge and that will equate to lows around 60 and highs around 100. However, we will see hero runs eclipsing 110 (or even 120), and folks who live in really cold climates getting numbers in the 40s. For me, the 60 mile range would likely be my low and, unfortunately, that is likely to require the rEx even for in-town driving. Fortunately, I have another 16+ months on my Volt's lease and will hopefully have a lot more data points by then.

Yesterday i almost didn't make it home. I did 180 km with only a 10 minute charge at the DC charger. I left there with 90 km range and thought i had the chance of charging at my destination. But that wasn't possible because of a malfunctioning charge station. So i had to reach home: 135 km with only 90 km of range. I made it driving very slow...
I saw some middle fingers. ;-)

SanSerif said:
For the record, I think my lifetime average is something like 15.3kw/100km

You could change the units in your app to English, mi/kWh if you wish. I am showing average so far of 3.2 which is pretty poor I think, but much better than the "community" average of 2.7!

Where do you get the "community average" figure from?

I did wonder about changing units but thought that most people would be using the default - so would be better for comparison.

my wife drove 3000 km at this moment.
energyconsumption average 18,5 kwh/100km, but still dropping.
expect to stabilize at 15-16 kwh/100 km, which gives a 130-140 km range.
bev model, Netherlands. Usage: combination of city and highway driving (@130 km/h)
It exceeds my expectations. I drive a Model S and it uses about twice the energy...
very happy with i3

I'm happy to report that the continuing mild weather really helps keeping the range up. For instance a two stop shopping trip last week: 50/50 motorway (again 100-120 km/h) and in/out town driving (careful but not granny-style), sunroof open, almost no heater: 82 km (50 mi) using 52% of charge. Making it a cool 160 km/100 mi when extrapolated.

Regards, Steven

Right now i have driven 7868 km...
Once, after driving 48km on B-roads i had a predicted range in pro+ of 191 km after de following charge... Now problems so far!
My average commute efficiency is 15,1 kWh/100 km...
Right know i have 122 km range in comfort mode...

2hp16c8.png

The community is not an option, it's the mean of al the i3 users data... I think global...

The 15,1 average is based on a distance of about 50km where 30 km is B-road/city... There i often get 12,5 kwh/100km. The other 20 km is highway 120-130 where i get about 18,2 kwh/100km. All depending on wheather and conditions...
I almost always have 5stars regeneration efficiency...
But accelaration is almost always 1star... Really love to put down the throtle :D

I've done 5,500km now in my i3 and have an average of 15.4kWh/100km.
I do 3-4 times a week a 64km one-way to work with about 55km of that on the highway. I usually tend to stay around 115km when possible, but average speed during rush hour rarely gets beyond 85km :cry:

Over the past weeks I've had several trips late afternoon (higher temperature) where I did 64km and had >65% charge left. That would mean a theoretic range of around 180km.

During the first few weeks the temperatures were much lower and I rarely achieved more than 120km range. And only if I had pre-heated the batteries. Otherwise you easily lose another 10% of range.

Middachten said:
I've done 5,500km now in my i3 and have an average of 15.4kWh/100km.
I do 3-4 times a week a 64km one-way to work with about 55km of that on the highway. I usually tend to stay around 115km when possible, but average speed during rush hour rarely gets beyond 85km :cry:

Over the past weeks I've had several trips late afternoon (higher temperature) where I did 64km and had >65% charge left. That would mean a theoretic range of around 180km.

During the first few weeks the temperatures were much lower and I rarely achieved more than 120km range. And only if I had pre-heated the batteries. Otherwise you easily lose another 10% of range.

What I don't understand is that the batteries, are enclosed and can be preconditioned to be at their optimum functional level so theoretically the temperature outside should be irrelevant ?

I haven't traveled any further than 70 miles in a single go yet (I haven't bought the public charging cable yet...), but I am seeing that, despite the pre-conditioning, the range is much higher and seems to fall slower now the weather is heating up.

I get 3.6mi/KWh, using some quick "man maths" I think that's about 17.3KWh/100km. My commute has recently cut itself considerably to be 20% of what it was (no motorways, just speedy B roads), however 3.6mi/KWh is roughly the same as it's always been! Must be a great combination of foot to the floor acceleration followed by some heavy regen ;)

BoMW said:
What I don't understand is that the batteries, are enclosed and can be preconditioned to be at their optimum functional level so theoretically the temperature outside should be irrelevant ?

Yes, they can be pre-conditioned, this gives you 6-8% more range on a cold day. But the battery has to be kept warm while driving. This costs energy as well as the heating of the car interrior even while I have the heatpump option, which reduces energy consumption for heating.

On one of the first longer trips I made we ended up in a rain/snow shower with teperatures near zero. The loads of freezing cold water that washed underneath the car caused the range to drop with >10km in a few minutes time.

Burdi3 is sharing an interesting screen shot and Lecram has spotted the most noteworthy part.
With the community service enabled your consumption and other data is compared to other i3 owners. Here some very interesting data can be read. For example that
- Average fuel consumption amounts to 20.7 kWh / 100 km
- Average maximum mileage amounts to 125 km (the longest distance each BMW i3 owner has ever driven in a charging cycle and then take the average of that). I am impressed by the 191 km Burdi has managed to achieve (where did you find such a long downhill slope? ;) ). My maximum is just over 100k, but then I love speed and live in Sweden (poor combination if you want range from a BEV).

To read more about the statistics and the updated iRemote app, please see http://bmwi3owner.com/2014/04/iremote-consumption

Back