charging - basics

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zsoltmag

Dear Gents,
I see that the charging topic is surely mentioned already in this forum, with many details, but I need really the basics, and so far I was not able to find this.

To my understanding, there are 3 types of charing current one can charge the i3 with (continental Europe), pls correct me if I'm wrong: the 2 phase 220V, the 3 phase 380V and the DC charger. The first one will charge it in about 8 hours, the second in about 4 hours, and the last in about half an hour.

For the first two I obviously have to have an wall outlet of needed type, whereas for the last one, I need a special DC charger.

What I miss is whether there has to be something installed in the vehicle to be able to use all 3 options, or the i3 can accept all 3 in standard setup?

Most of the time I will have no need to charge it quickly at home, but on the road I definitely want the option to charge it on quick DC charger, so I want to be sure I need no purchase of anything extra to have this option.

The "Wallbox pure" in the price list is then the quick DC charger in case I want one from home, correct?

Thanks in advance for your kind answers,

Rgds
Zsolt

zsoltmag said:
Dear Gents,
I see that the charging topic is surely mentioned already in this forum, with many details, but I need really the basics, and so far I was not able to find this.

To my understanding, there are 3 types of charing current one can charge the i3 with (continental Europe), pls correct me if I'm wrong: the 2 phase 220V, the 3 phase 380V and the DC charger. The first one will charge it in about 8 hours, the second in about 4 hours, and the last in about half an hour.

For the first two I obviously have to have an wall outlet of needed type, whereas for the last one, I need a special DC charger.

What I miss is whether there has to be something installed in the vehicle to be able to use all 3 options, or the i3 can accept all 3 in standard setup?

Most of the time I will have no need to charge it quickly at home, but on the road I definitely want the option to charge it on quick DC charger, so I want to be sure I need no purchase of anything extra to have this option.

The "Wallbox pure" in the price list is then the quick DC charger in case I want one from home, correct?

Rgds
Zsolt

Hi Zsolt

In the UK the DC charging preparation is an i3 option costing approx. £500 I can't remember exactly, but it is definitely an option. The Wallbox pure is a fast AC charging option for 3-5 hour charging, I don't think anyone offers a home DC charging option.

Both AC 16 and 32A charge options are single phase. The DC charge is only available at professional charge locations. It demands a 10-20k investment.
The 32A and DC options are optional at BMW

zsoltmag said:
Dear Gents,

Rgds
Zsolt

Zsolt, you are not correct, wall box pure is not the quick 30 min DC charger, like other members have mentioned the DC set up is more of a commercial venture.

To be able to charge your i3 using the rapid DC charger, you need to opt for the additional 2 pronged socket (DC preparation ) which cost £560 here in the UK.

Thanks for all the replies, so if I got it right:

- at home I can charge it only by using AC 220V 16A
- to charge it with AC 220V 32A, I need either BMW Wallbox, or some third party charger, but nothing extra on i3 side
- to charge it at quick DC stations, I have to install that option into i3

Am I now correct?

Is the scheduled charging option available without BMWs Wallbox, i.e. is it directed from the vehicle side?

Thanks,

Zsolt

zsoltmag said:
Thanks for all the replies, so if I got it right:

- at home I can charge it only by using AC 220V 16A
- to charge it with AC 220V 32A, I need either BMW Wallbox, or some third party charger, but nothing extra on i3 side
- to charge it at quick DC stations, I have to install that option into i3

Am I now correct?

Is the scheduled charging option available without BMWs Wallbox, i.e. is it directed from the vehicle side?

Thanks,

Zsolt

Yes I think so. And the car (in the UK at least) has the capability to be set to either charge immediately or to charge during user specified charging periods. So it's not wall box dependent, it's vehicle side. But I would check all this with your dealer before committing any money.

Bill

Thanks a lot for all the answers.
Yes, I have to check this by dealers but as others noted, they seems not to be very well informed, so I better check with you guys first.

Rgds
Zsolt

Hi Zslot,

I have a British Gas supplied wall box (32A) at home and can confirm that the scheduling works and is set on the car, web or app. It doesn't appear to care what the make of wall box is as far as I can tell.

Good luck

Jon

i'm confused again...

In another thread i see someone that listed a fast charging AC option on the i3 (next to the fast charging DC option) ? Is fast AC really an option on the i3 ?

I have so far unused 3fase connections in my garage basement (360v). I would like to install a 3 fase charging box. It seems the i3 cannot be charged on 3 fase, but would i be able to use the box then with the i3. I would like to install 3 fase because maybe later i would add another EV that can be charged on 3 fase.

Another question, suppose i don't have the DC charging option on the i3, will i be able to charge on public chargers ? Are public chargers maybe combined AC/DC or different types ?

btw i live in belgium.

It is confusing but all you need to know is:

1. DC rapid charge (30 min charge time) is a UK option at £500 update to the car. You cannot have this charge station installed at home (and there are very few of them in UK at the moment compatible with i3);
2. Standard charge with cable provided with car is 8 hour and you can use a UK three pin plug at home no additional installation required;
3. Standard charge (16A - 8 hours) at home with a British Gas or other charge station is free to install;
4. Fast charge (32A - 4 hours) at home with a British Gas or other charge station small additional charge (from British Gas) -the car does not need an update or option to fast charge only the charge station installation is required (the cable is tethered to the charge station so no additional cable required); and
5. Fast charge (32A - 4 hour) away from home you need the optional cable from BMW (£165);

Hope that helps.

Just noted that you are not in UK so not sure this all helps.

Michael

Back