question on driving in snow

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jabbahop

We live in Vermont and get snow, ice, and have steep hills - including out driveway. We have Volt with studded snows and it does ok. Does anyone have experience with the i3 in these type of conditions?

No direct experience but there are specific winter tires for it - no studs but I've seen chains for those tires too. However, with the narrow tires and 50/50 weight distribution plus rear wheel drive, it should be equal or better than the Volt (front wheel drive, wider tires) while going uphill. If you get the REX (and for harsh winters you may be better off with a REX so battery range in cold weather is not an issue), then the car will be rear heavy, so even better for going uphill.

Hi jabbahop,

I live close to Chamonix (in the French, Swiss and Italian Alps) and drive around 3 months on snow every year. We got the i3 beginning of February with 4 Bridgestone Blizzack. It’s just amazing how this car is good on snow, very progressive and precise. I was also capable to stop and restart without moving back on a steep slope which was not obvious for my BMW X1 xDrive and other heavy 4WD.
I only drawback is by -15°C the range is around 110km in comparison to 150km by 20°C (I let you do the conversions).

yaute said:
Hi jabbahop,
only drawback is by -15°C the range is around 110km in comparison to 150km by 20°C (I let you do the conversions).

Thank you for this is I was about to ask the same question.
I live in Toronto, so it can get to -15C in the winter. Is your car a REx? I'm curious about the range for the BEV/non-REx at this temperature, assuming the worst case- highway driving at 120 kph.
Also assume it has the cold weather package, ie, the heat pump to more efficiently heat the cabin.

Thanks!

Surge said:
I live in Toronto, so it can get to -15C in the winter. Is your car a REx? I'm curious about the range for the BEV/non-REx at this temperature, assuming the worst case- highway driving at 120 kph.
Also assume it has the cold weather package, ie, the heat pump to more efficiently heat the cabin.
My car has a REx plus the winter package. The seat heater is great for the battery life has, for the same feeling, it cost less energy than the air heater. The REx is incompatible with the heat pump.

Thanks yaute.
And what about highway range at -15C? You mention a range of 110km at -15C, but is that traveling at 120 km/h?

Any idea what it could be if you had to travel 120 km/h? I know that range will dramatically improve if you travel at 80 or 100 km/h, but the reality of driving here in Toronto, is that 120 is required to keep up with traffic.

Surge said:
Thanks yaute.
And what about highway range at -15C? You mention a range of 110km at -15C, but is that traveling at 120 km/h?
Any idea what it could be if you had to travel 120 km/h? I know that range will dramatically improve if you travel at 80 or 100 km/h, but the reality of driving here in Toronto, is that 120 is required to keep up with traffic.

I've no experience with the figures -15°C at 120km/h with a full battery.
My closer experience: I've recoded at 7°C from 100% to around 10% (release of REx), was 30km at around 60km/h, then 110km at 110km/h.

Thanks Tom this post has good info regarding the winter tires.

http://bmwi3.blogspot.com/2014/02/bmw-i3-wheels-and-tires-what-you-need.html

Back