Structural fatigue?

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Surge

Does anyone know why the frame of my test car has a whitish cast around the hinges?

Could this be structural fatigue?

Surge said:
Does this look normal? This is on both B pillars on my test drive REx.
Looks like structural fatigue, doesn't it? Can it be?
My guess is that the intercabulated carbon matrix has bifurcated trilateral stressors on the hinge pin dipole causing a visible endomorphism. Only way I know how to fix it is with duck tape. However, you may want another opinion, perhaps from your dealer.

No one has responded yet?! Come on guys - is this an example of the plastic/CF structure exhibiting stress fatigue, or not?
(Click the link to see the photo)

I would suggest posting your pic on the i3 facebook group. It has a larger following, including a few BMW service techs.

If my i3 had been delivered I would have responded!

jtoast - Is the Facebook group page viewable by non members? I don’t have an account and don’t want one.

MikeS said:
If my i3 had been delivered I would have responded!

jtoast - Is the Facebook group page viewable by non members? I don’t have an account and don’t want one.

+1

Unfortunately no. I have an account that is pretty much only used for things such as this and company complaints when complaining via twitter didn't work.

The composite is maybe delaminating, have your dealer look at it and compare to other cars in stock. But that does not look like a hinge in the photo, looks l like the rubber booth of electrical connections...

I wouldn't say there is anything wrong with it.

I looked at a brand new i3 just now in my stall, if you look along the door sill areas that are carbon fiber, you can see somewhat of a white-ish colar also at seems and such. I'd say its related to the manufacturing process, and not fatigue.

-Carl

nothing like that, it is not carbon failure. you can google carbon failures, it does not look like this.

Jetfuel said:
nothing like that, it is not carbon failure. you can google carbon failures, it does not look like this.

My brand new BEV had that at each hinge (and other) areas, and so did the other cars on the dealer lot. Not a problem.....

Back