Lithium-ion fires

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Srivenkat

Hi All,

We know of Teslas catching fire, at least one due to road debris rupturing the bottom shield of the battery, and now recently one in China. Is anyone aware of any similar incidents with the i3 or otherwise any assurances from BMW in this regard, either because of robust cell construction or other?

Thanks in advance.

There are two reasons for this:

Tesla get press and viral internet posts because they are Tesla. A single burning Tesla will get far more notice than a Ford pickup or Vauxhall Zafira. Doesn't matter that the other two burn up in much larger numbers than Tesla cars.

Tesla used a unique cell chemistry in their early cars that was prone to thermal runaway. The only other EVs using that chemistry are the ones built with Tesla batteries.

Tesla have changed the battery chemistry and improved cooling since the early cars. Newer ones are less likely to catch fire.

Other EVs can catch fire and do in very small numbers.

There have been a couple of i3 fires in the press, but none that I'm aware of related to the battery pack. On some Rex i3s the fuel tank vent line was routed near ribbed wire protecting the battery-plus cable sleeve. The line can rub against the ribbed wire, and wear through, creating a fuel vapor leak within the enclosed engine compartment, which can ignite. BMW initiated a recall for the affected vehicles, and fixed the issue, so it no longer exists.

Back