Right or Left Rim - How do you tell??

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

I have the 20" 430 style rims. They are always listed as either "Right-Front", "Left-Front", "Right-Rear", "Left-Rear". Looking at them, they appear symmetrical, side to side - how do you tell which is left and which is right, if they are off the car, no tires???

Ok, never mind - figured it out ;) You can tell by the orientation of the straight and curved edges of the black 'blades'.

Seems BMW stopped supplying both the 'Right' & 'Left' mirror image wheels early to mid 2015 though, because my late 2015 has all 'right' wheels :?

Attachments

• left side wheel.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 3,923
Hmm... According to this, the wheels on my car are all backwards now.

I did just get new tires and it looks like the shop (not a BMW dealership) flipped them based on a couple pictures I had from before...

I guess if your car isn't pulling to the left(?) all the time, it may not make enough of a difference to go get it changed.

Also, there's an Arrested Development joke about the person who put wheels on your car:
S4mfzD8.jpg

When I got my winter set form BMW, all the wheels are exactly the same direction and size. Black 428's. There is no functional advantage to matching direction according to BMW. I find that a bit challenging because of my OCD!

The 430's front and rear sizes are different so those wheels need to wind up on the correct end of the car.

While the 428 wheels are symmetrical, the winter tire is directional. When BMW delivered my winter set, all four tires were mounted for the left side...the dealer had to remount two of them after we noticed carrying them out to the car.

Back