gt1
Posts: 384
Joined: Sat Nov 07, 2015 7:31 pm
Location: Baltimore

Re: Air conditioning failed

Wed Jun 30, 2021 8:46 am

Both of my i3s had the same AC issue (actually the present one still has it and is at the dealer right now). When in auto mode, AC would start normally, but in 5-10 minutes would blow warm air for a couple of minutes, then return to the normal operation. The problem is with the control logic, not the AC itself because if manually set to the lowest temperature it will start blowing cold immediately.

arkadysom
Posts: 3
Joined: Fri Jul 16, 2021 3:41 pm

Re: Air conditioning failed

Fri Jul 16, 2021 3:47 pm

Add me to the growing list of the dreaded Air Compressor going bad and getting a $23,000 bill. The part that really grinds my gears is my model is a 2017 i3, and they said that I have the original SKU for the part. I called BMW USA to appeal with this, and because my car is past its warrenty, they're just shrugging their shoulders about it.

For anyone interested, here's the pictures they sent me for the air compressor eating itself:

Image

Image

alohart
Posts: 2424
Joined: Sat Nov 01, 2014 7:36 pm
Location: Honolulu, HI

Re: Air conditioning failed

Fri Jul 16, 2021 5:51 pm

arkadysom wrote:
Fri Jul 16, 2021 3:47 pm
Add me to the growing list of the dreaded Air Compressor going bad and getting a $23,000 bill. The part that really grinds my gears is my model is a 2017 i3, and they said that I have the original SKU for the part.
Very sorry to read about the havoc that your compressor has wreaked. So much for the theory that only the earliest i3's had fragile compressors.

I think that if this happened to our 2014 BEV, I'd pay to have only a new compressor installed but nothing more. I'd gamble that I'd be able to use our car for an undetermined period before shrapnel from the compressor might cause some other expensive problem. That undetermined period could be a very long time.
Aloha,
Art

2014 BMW i3 Arravani Grey, Giga World, Tech + Driving Assist, Parking Assist, DC Fast Charging, JuiceBox EVSE

User avatar
MKH
Gold Member
Posts: 873
Joined: Fri Nov 02, 2018 5:48 am
Location: Dallas

Re: Air conditioning failed

Sat Jul 17, 2021 8:44 am

I'd pay to have only a new compressor installed but nothing more
Add in replacing the AC condenser - parts cost is around $400 (the radiator thing in the front). From my retired AC mechanic neighbor, the flow channels in the condenser are so small, they will have trapped most of the shrapnel from a compressor failure, his shop automatically replaced them if an AC compressor failed, as they could never be flushed out.
Mark H.
2015 i3 Rex, Capparis White, Tera World, Technology & Driving Assistant, Parking Assistant, Harman Kardon Audio System, 19 inch 427 wheels, EVoInnovate EVSE

OLDBMWGUY
Posts: 19
Joined: Tue May 28, 2019 12:32 am
Location: Honolulu, Hawaii

Re: Air conditioning failed

Mon Jul 19, 2021 2:26 pm

arkadysom,

Very sorry to hear of you A/C problem, it is uppermost on the minds of many of us I3 owners. I think many of us thought that the later models would not experience this problem. Here in Hawaii, I use the A/C non-stop all the time.

Could I please ask some questions?

Are you the original owner ?
How many miles on the car?
What area of the country?
Has it always been serviced by BMW?
REX or BEV?

Thanks very much
2019 i3 BEV, Capparis White, Tera World, Harmon Kardon Audio System, 19 inch 429 wheels

arkadysom
Posts: 3
Joined: Fri Jul 16, 2021 3:41 pm

Re: Air conditioning failed

Sat Jul 24, 2021 6:21 pm

OLDBMWGUY wrote:
Mon Jul 19, 2021 2:26 pm
arkadysom,

Very sorry to hear of you A/C problem, it is uppermost on the minds of many of us I3 owners. I think many of us thought that the later models would not experience this problem. Here in Hawaii, I use the A/C non-stop all the time.

Could I please ask some questions?

Are you the original owner ?
How many miles on the car?
What area of the country?
Has it always been serviced by BMW?
REX or BEV?

Thanks very much
Hello OLDBMWGUY.

I am not the original owner. I bought the car from OffLeaseOnly in September of 2020. I don't know what the service record of the car was before that. The only clue I have as to where the car was previously to me was Colorado, as I found old insurance information in the glovebox that wasn't removed. Since I've had it, it's resided in South FL (Palm Beach County area). Current miles are just over 40,000, and it doesn't have the range extender.

I do have an update though that others might find helpful, and I believe a similar situation presented itself to another owner on this forum.

I found a European auto repair shop that looked at my i3. I gave them all of the information that BMW gave me, and they did their own through investigation. Their findings were that while the air compressor was completely the culprit, the shrapnel only made it as far as the beginning of the condensor. There was no evidence of shrapnel at the exit, only the entry. So they're going to replace the air compressor and condensor both (OEM parts), and flush the rest thoroughly.

Their total cost? Just under $5000. And their repairs come with a 3 year warranty. I can have my car as early as this Friday.

And BMW charged me over $1000 for their lazy diagnostics, and had my car for a month while I appealed to BMW USA to fix their clearly faulty engineering, but shrugged their shoulders and told me its past warranty.

I hope others can find similar repair shops that can assist them with this issue should it arise. I wouldn't want them to go through this ridiculousness.

arkadysom
Posts: 3
Joined: Fri Jul 16, 2021 3:41 pm

Re: Air conditioning failed

Sat Jul 24, 2021 6:23 pm

MKH wrote:
Sat Jul 17, 2021 8:44 am
I'd pay to have only a new compressor installed but nothing more
Add in replacing the AC condenser - parts cost is around $400 (the radiator thing in the front). From my retired AC mechanic neighbor, the flow channels in the condenser are so small, they will have trapped most of the shrapnel from a compressor failure, his shop automatically replaced them if an AC compressor failed, as they could never be flushed out.
This checks with my experience posted above.

bocabimmer
Posts: 25
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2020 5:31 pm

Re: Air conditioning failed

Tue Jul 27, 2021 4:00 am

arkadysom wrote:
Sat Jul 24, 2021 6:21 pm
OLDBMWGUY wrote:
Mon Jul 19, 2021 2:26 pm
arkadysom,

Very sorry to hear of you A/C problem, it is uppermost on the minds of many of us I3 owners. I think many of us thought that the later models would not experience this problem. Here in Hawaii, I use the A/C non-stop all the time.

Could I please ask some questions?

Are you the original owner ?
How many miles on the car?
What area of the country?
Has it always been serviced by BMW?
REX or BEV?

Thanks very much
Hello OLDBMWGUY.

I am not the original owner. I bought the car from OffLeaseOnly in September of 2020. I don't know what the service record of the car was before that. The only clue I have as to where the car was previously to me was Colorado, as I found old insurance information in the glovebox that wasn't removed. Since I've had it, it's resided in South FL (Palm Beach County area). Current miles are just over 40,000, and it doesn't have the range extender.

I do have an update though that others might find helpful, and I believe a similar situation presented itself to another owner on this forum.

I found a European auto repair shop that looked at my i3. I gave them all of the information that BMW gave me, and they did their own through investigation. Their findings were that while the air compressor was completely the culprit, the shrapnel only made it as far as the beginning of the condensor. There was no evidence of shrapnel at the exit, only the entry. So they're going to replace the air compressor and condensor both (OEM parts), and flush the rest thoroughly.

Their total cost? Just under $5000. And their repairs come with a 3 year warranty. I can have my car as early as this Friday.

And BMW charged me over $1000 for their lazy diagnostics, and had my car for a month while I appealed to BMW USA to fix their clearly faulty engineering, but shrugged their shoulders and told me its past warranty.

I hope others can find similar repair shops that can assist them with this issue should it arise. I wouldn't want them to go through this ridiculousness.
Your story sounds very similar to mine. I’m also in Palm Beach County and found a shop off Okeechobee Blvd (right up the street from Braman BMW ironically) that quoted me $3,700 for the repair.

Hope all goes well with your repair.
2018 330i (F30)

2014 i3 BEV - Sold
2007 328i (E92) - Sold
2013 X5 35i (E70) - Sold
2014 i3 BEV - Lease return
2006 325i (E90) - Sold

Return to “Technical BMW i3 Discussions”