flyboy320
Posts: 35
Joined: Sat Jun 02, 2018 5:38 pm

Re: Air conditioning failed

Tue Aug 25, 2020 6:35 am

alohart wrote:
Mon Aug 24, 2020 8:57 pm
Because the A/C cools the battery pack, the output power of the battery pack would almost certainly be limited due to overheating due to a non-functional compressor. This would significantly limit the maximum power of the propulsion motor.


I could be wrong, but I thought the battery is only actively cooled when it's been charged, and only then if needed, ie., gets above a set temperature threshold, it's NOT cooled when your driving the car.
Last edited by flyboy320 on Thu Aug 27, 2020 7:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

jlangham
Posts: 70
Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2018 6:01 pm

Re: Air conditioning failed

Thu Aug 27, 2020 6:36 am

alohart wrote:
Mon Aug 24, 2020 8:57 pm
jlangham wrote:
Mon Aug 24, 2020 1:39 pm
It's worth it for Phoenix heat to have the AC working.
Because the A/C cools the battery pack, the output power of the battery pack would almost certainly be limited due to overheating due to a non-functional compressor. This would significantly limit the maximum power of the propulsion motor.
That is exactly the case. Here in Phoenix area, especially in the summer with no air conditioning, you can tell the difference. I'm glad it does manage it for me because I'm not always mindful of it, especially in heavy traffic where I need to "zip" around.

I hope to get my compressor fixed soon by a local shop with a factory trained tech. The car just doesn't run as good without it.

Plus, when I come home in the middle of the afternoon and it's 115 outside, when I plug in the charger at home, the yellow light comes on and never get blue. I know it's because of the temperature of the battery because of no cooling. Later in the evening, I just go out in the garage and just open and close my door, and it car retries the charging and begins to charge because the battery has cooled off enough.

I've stopped driving my car because I don't want to further degrade my battery pack. It's a 2014 BEV with 75k miles and would like to make it last as long as possible.

JeremyStephen
Posts: 5
Joined: Mon Mar 01, 2021 1:50 am

Re: Air conditioning failed

Mon Mar 01, 2021 2:18 am

Hi! I've been following this discussion as I've been having an issue where my AC stops cooling intermittently! I also noticed that the Coolant Temp is constantly at +118C, while Battery Temp is +29C.....is that normal?
When the heat is less, it cools really cold....but again will shut cooling off suddenly & come back on briefly....when it's really hot, it really takes awhile to bring the temperature down.
I've been concerned as I know the battery temp is also managed through the AC system!
Also noticed that it seems like the cooling is reactivated (compressor comes on?) when I accelerate hard! Now I heard that the i3 AC runs on an independent motor, unlike usual belt driven, so that seems not possible.....
Will a replacement of the Pressure/Temp sensor 2(as done above) solve it?
Any thoughts or advice please?

eXodus
Posts: 135
Joined: Tue Dec 22, 2020 6:06 am

Re: Air conditioning failed

Mon Mar 01, 2021 3:52 am

JeremyStephen wrote:
Mon Mar 01, 2021 2:18 am
Hi! I've been following this discussion as I've been having an issue where my AC stops cooling intermittently! I also noticed that the Coolant Temp is constantly at +118C, while Battery Temp is +29C.....is that normal?
When the heat is less, it cools really cold....but again will shut cooling off suddenly & come back on briefly....when it's really hot, it really takes awhile to bring the temperature down.
I've been concerned as I know the battery temp is also managed through the AC system!
Also noticed that it seems like the cooling is reactivated (compressor comes on?) when I accelerate hard! Now I heard that the i3 AC runs on an independent motor, unlike usual belt driven, so that seems not possible.....
Will a replacement of the Pressure/Temp sensor 2(as done above) solve it?
Any thoughts or advice please?
Where are you reading the coolant temp? Are you driving in EcoPro? that makes the A/C cut in and out.
In Comfort the A/C is more steady. Here in sunny and hot Florida - during the middle of the Day I always drive in Comfort - otherwise the A/C is not doing it's job.

JeremyStephen
Posts: 5
Joined: Mon Mar 01, 2021 1:50 am

Re: Air conditioning failed

Mon Mar 01, 2021 9:23 am

sorry
Last edited by JeremyStephen on Mon Mar 01, 2021 9:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

JeremyStephen
Posts: 5
Joined: Mon Mar 01, 2021 1:50 am

Re: Air conditioning failed

Mon Mar 01, 2021 9:26 am

eXodus wrote:
Mon Mar 01, 2021 3:52 am
JeremyStephen wrote:
Mon Mar 01, 2021 2:18 am
Hi! I've been following this discussion as I've been having an issue where my AC stops cooling intermittently! I also noticed that the Coolant Temp is constantly at +118C, while Battery Temp is +29C.....is that normal?
When the heat is less, it cools really cold....but again will shut cooling off suddenly & come back on briefly....when it's really hot, it really takes awhile to bring the temperature down.
I've been concerned as I know the battery temp is also managed through the AC system!
Also noticed that it seems like the cooling is reactivated (compressor comes on?) when I accelerate hard! Now I heard that the i3 AC runs on an independent motor, unlike usual belt driven, so that seems not possible.....
Will a replacement of the Pressure/Temp sensor 2(as done above) solve it?
Any thoughts or advice please?
Where are you reading the coolant temp? Are you driving in EcoPro? that makes the A/C cut in and out.
In Comfort the A/C is more steady. Here in sunny and hot Florida - during the middle of the Day I always drive in Comfort - otherwise the A/C is not doing it's job.
Okay, I'll try Comfort mode more often & see how it responds....Yes I drive mostly in Eco Pro, but it worked continuously without issue for about 4 months and I have tried switching to Comfort when the AC knocks off like I mentioned, with no effect! I even had the cabin filters changed & Freon pressure checked. But let me try Comfort throughout & see. I'm in Colombo, Sri Lanka & outside temperature is usually around 35C+ in the heat of the day.

BTW, on the highway (speed at least 70km/h) it works perfectly, even in Eco Pro!!!

The Coolant Temp, Battery Temp etc is found in the Menu of the display over the steering. They call it the 'secret menu' cos you've got to hold the button on the left for about 10 secs, then enter the sum of the last 5 digits of your VIN # as the code to access it....(it's all on YouTube :D) I found it in my efforts to locate the Battery Capacity(Batt Kappa Max) before buying my present 2014 BEV

alohart
Posts: 2340
Joined: Sat Nov 01, 2014 7:36 pm
Location: Honolulu, HI

Re: Air conditioning failed

Mon Mar 01, 2021 4:19 pm

I prefer the more relaxed EcoPro mode power pedal response during the first half of its range but occasionally need full Comfort mode cabin cooling power. An iDrive setting allows one to have both by decoupling climate control from EcoPro mode. There's no reason for me to believe that this would solve the intermittent cabin cooling problem, but you could test driving in EcoPro mode with full climate control power.

Because climate control refrigerant cools the battery pack as well as the cabin, some have suggested that battery pack cooling is prioritized over cabin cooling. This might be obvious in hot weather as reduced cabin cooling, especially after driving hard or fast charging which would increase the battery pack temperature and thus cooling load.

The 118 ºC temperature reading in the service menu must be due to no temperature sensor for that particular reading. It's always 118 ºC on our 2014 BEV regardless of the ambient temperature, recent driving, etc. Just ignore it.

The climate control heat exchanger is behind the air intake below the front bumper. Leaves and other road trash can build up and block air flow to this heat exchanger and to the motor and motor electronics heat exchanger behind it. There's also a fan behind these heat exchangers. I assume that if the fan were non-functional, a warning message would be displayed, but I don't know that for a fact. It would be worth cleaning out any trash that's blocking air flow. I have installed a stainless steel wire mesh screen in the air intake to block this stuff, including stones that could damage the heat exchanger, from entering the air intake.
Aloha,
Art

2014 BMW i3 Arravani Grey, Giga World, Tech + Driving Assist, Parking Assist, DC Fast Charging, JuiceBox EVSE

JeremyStephen
Posts: 5
Joined: Mon Mar 01, 2021 1:50 am

Re: Air conditioning failed

Mon Mar 01, 2021 9:52 pm

alohart wrote:
Mon Mar 01, 2021 4:19 pm

The climate control heat exchanger is behind the air intake below the front bumper. Leaves and other road trash can build up and block air flow to this heat exchanger and to the motor and motor electronics heat exchanger behind it. There's also a fan behind these heat exchangers. I assume that if the fan were non-functional, a warning message would be displayed, but I don't know that for a fact. It would be worth cleaning out any trash that's blocking air flow. I have installed a stainless steel wire mesh screen in the air intake to block this stuff, including stones that could damage the heat exchanger, from entering the air intake.
How do you access this air intake? take the storage box out?

alohart
Posts: 2340
Joined: Sat Nov 01, 2014 7:36 pm
Location: Honolulu, HI

Re: Air conditioning failed

Tue Mar 02, 2021 11:38 am

JeremyStephen wrote:
Mon Mar 01, 2021 9:52 pm
How do you access this air intake? take the storage box out?
There is no access from above after removing the storage box because the air intake system includes a plastic duct that is open only in the front (grill) and the rear (heat exchanger).

Access is available from the front beneath the bumper through the grill. Some i3's have movable louvers just behind the grill that block access to the A/C heat exchanger when closed. Our 2014 BEV doesn't have these louvers, so I can see the heat exchanger through the grill. A local owner's 2019 BEV has these louvers. Other than model year, one difference between these BEV's is that ours doesn't have the seats and battery pack heating option. I don't know what needs to be done to force the louvers to open.
Aloha,
Art

2014 BMW i3 Arravani Grey, Giga World, Tech + Driving Assist, Parking Assist, DC Fast Charging, JuiceBox EVSE

JeremyStephen
Posts: 5
Joined: Mon Mar 01, 2021 1:50 am

Re: Air conditioning failed

Tue Mar 02, 2021 8:29 pm

alohart wrote:
Tue Mar 02, 2021 11:38 am
JeremyStephen wrote:
Mon Mar 01, 2021 9:52 pm
How do you access this air intake? take the storage box out?
There is no access from above after removing the storage box because the air intake system includes a plastic duct that is open only in the front (grill) and the rear (heat exchanger).

Access is available from the front beneath the bumper through the grill. Some i3's have movable louvers just behind the grill that block access to the A/C heat exchanger when closed. Our 2014 BEV doesn't have these louvers, so I can see the heat exchanger through the grill. A local owner's 2019 BEV has these louvers. Other than model year, one difference between these BEV's is that ours doesn't have the seats and battery pack heating option. I don't know what needs to be done to force the louvers to open.
Hey Art!
Thanks much for your invaluable info! Mine also doesn't have louvres. I can see the heat exchanger clearly (that's the one across the whole opening looking like the radiator, right?) but I can't seem to see the duct for the air intake....
I do remember tho, once when looking for the pressure/temp sensor, I noticed a plastic duct-like opening (approx 4"x3") under the storage box. Is that what I should be looking for, do you think?

I also discovered mouse droppings inside the storage box today! :shock: Got to deal with that too before the rodent gets to any wires or plastics! Guess that's 1 of the downsides of not having high heat parts as in an ICE!

Return to “Technical BMW i3 Discussions”