vreihen

Re: Air conditioning failed

Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:15 am

i3Houston wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 9:16 am
PARTS:
25127 AC Compressor noisy verify noise from rear of vehicle with AC on. Inspect and found compressor noisy. recover AC system and disable high voltage system replace compressorrecharge and check noise no longer present
They most certainly did remove all of the refrigerant as part of the repair process!

Now for the stupid question du jour, since BMW is new to me. Are all of the current/recent BMW cars using the same refrigerant, or did they make a switch recently? Just wondering if the dealership may have recovered the refrigerant into the wrong storage tank, and then put contaminated/mixed stuff back in?????
2015 BMW i3 BEV, Giga World, Tech and Driving Assistant packages, 15K miles

i3Houston

Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:23 am

vreihen wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:15 am
i3Houston wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 9:16 am
PARTS:
25127 AC Compressor noisy verify noise from rear of vehicle with AC on. Inspect and found compressor noisy. recover AC system and disable high voltage system replace compressorrecharge and check noise no longer present
They most certainly did remove all of the refrigerant as part of the repair process!

The invoice says both, on top it reads refrigerant was not discharged then down below it says it was 'recharged'. My car is nearing end of warranty and i think i will end in same situation as OP.
TM3 Reservation holder/ 2015 i3 Rex

MKH
Gold Member

Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:42 am

I know nothing about a/c systems. Is there a filter on the i3's a/c system just prior to the compressor that can remove contaminants like metal? If not, is there such a thing that can be fitted if/when a new system is installed?
No, there is no filter I am aware of in the i3 AC system.

Yes there is such a thing that can be fitted.

https://www.airsept.com/Products/Details/32
Mark H.
2015 i3 Rex, Capparis White, Tera World, Technology & Driving Assistant, Parking Assistant, Harman Kardon Audio System, 19 inch 427 wheels, EVoInnovate EVSE

MKH
Gold Member

Tue Jul 09, 2019 11:07 am

My car is nearing end of warranty and i think i will end in same situation as OP.
I think I'd be calling BMW NA, and point out the similarities with other AC systems which have subsequently had the AC compressor fail catastrophically, and require complete replacement of the entire system at a cost beyond the value of the car, and ask that either the AC compressor be replaced under warranty, or they guarantee their very limited 'band-aid repair' of the AC system for at least 12 months.
Mark H.
2015 i3 Rex, Capparis White, Tera World, Technology & Driving Assistant, Parking Assistant, Harman Kardon Audio System, 19 inch 427 wheels, EVoInnovate EVSE

i3Houston

Wed Jul 24, 2019 12:14 pm

MKH wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 11:07 am
My car is nearing end of warranty and i think i will end in same situation as OP.
I think I'd be calling BMW NA, and point out the similarities with other AC systems which have subsequently had the AC compressor fail catastrophically, and require complete replacement of the entire system at a cost beyond the value of the car, and ask that either the AC compressor be replaced under warranty, or they guarantee their very limited 'band-aid repair' of the AC system for at least 12 months.
I spoke with BMW service agent and he was really helpful. He had his own technicians call the dealership, dealership confirmed that there were no metal shavings found in the AC lines. Also said that Dealership discharged and recharged refrigerant and service notes are misleading(Because it literally says otherwise). Anyway, he assured that if something else breaks due to this repair, they will cover it as they have the notes! Happy Ending!

MKH
Gold Member

Wed Jul 24, 2019 12:54 pm

he assured that if something else breaks due to this repair, they will cover it as they have the notes! Happy Ending!
:D
Mark H.

ronbot

Tue Aug 27, 2019 7:53 pm

Any updates?

All this is new to me... and making me glad I got my 2015 BEV Tera as CPO, and was able to get them to swing an additional year... so I'm covered for 6 years unlimited miles.

Was this AC issue just on the early ones... has is been found in the 2015 models?

Metal contamination from a compressor can easily plug the very small orifices throughout the car-wide system... no amount of flushing will ever get it all, and if an orifice is already plugged, you won't get any cleaning agent to flow through it in order to flush it out.

The battery pack housing would need to be replaced (but not the battery modules), along with all of the refrigerant lines, evap and condensation coils, valves, etc.

It almost makes it a candidate for swapping in a Tesla Model 3 rear drive unit..... and rebuild the i3 battery pack with Tesla modules since they just use liquid coolant. (or Kia Soul EV batteries, which are air-cooled)

i3Houston

Tue Aug 27, 2019 8:22 pm

Cpo warranty comes with its own fine prints...!

So far there are no problems since they changed compressor.

Monteverdi

Mon Sep 02, 2019 2:00 pm

I am just reading your posting. I am an owner of a 2015 i3 BEV and we had just the same problem with a disintegrated AC compressor. Since it was still under warranty, the dealer replaced it at no cost. It took about 3 weeks to get the car back. The AC was working after that but then stopped for a few days until magically working again. Since my warranty is running out this month, we have another appointment at the dealer this week to check it again.
It is interesting to read that we are not the only ones having this problem.

i3Houston

Mon Sep 02, 2019 2:23 pm

Monteverdi wrote:
Mon Sep 02, 2019 2:00 pm
I am just reading your posting. I am an owner of a 2015 i3 BEV and we had just the same problem with a disintegrated AC compressor. Since it was still under warranty, the dealer replaced it at no cost. It took about 3 weeks to get the car back. The AC was working after that but then stopped for a few days until magically working again. Since my warranty is running out this month, we have another appointment at the dealer this week to check it again.
It is interesting to read that we are not the only ones having this problem.
Here in Houston it was replaced in 3 days luckily. They must have had parts in stock.

Good luck with final diagnosis, I am interested to hear what dealership figures.

Return to “Technical BMW i3 Discussions”