TOEd

Re: Air conditioning failed

Thu Dec 05, 2019 3:47 pm

Thank you Will Flannery. I like the way you think!

i3Alan

Fri Dec 06, 2019 11:01 pm

KarlC wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 11:42 am
Any updates on what the OP ended up doing ?
I traded in my salvage i3 on a new Leaf SL plus. The Nissan dealer gave me about $1K more in trade than my BMW dealer offered me. The difference between the pre-AC catastrophe book value and the after salvage trade value was about $9K. BMW sent me a "goodwill" check for $2K. That is, I lost about $7K due to the AC failure, and the desire to ever own another BMW. The $44K list fully loaded Leaf with about 215 mile range will cost me about $23K after rebates and trade and dealer discounts, including taxes, etc.. I would have gone with a Model 3 Tesla, but it was too small (I need a hatchback).

Rather than driving my i3 for another 3 to 6 years as expected, I will likely drive the Leaf for a few years and then get a Model Y or something a bit more exciting than the otherwise fully competent Leaf. Besides, the Leaf has as good of road feel as the i3, except in the Leaf you have to open the door and reach your hand down to the road! Actually, the Leaf is full of wonderful bells and whistles and comfort features, has very good acceleration (not i3 class), and does the e-pedal quite a bit better than the i3 with full blending of the mechanical brakes to insure deceleration to a complete stop even down hill, and more aggressive regen than the i3 and better integration with the cruise such than canceling cruise with no pedal does not switch on braking quickly at all. The Leaf cruise is adaptive down to full stop, with steering assist for lane-keep. The worst part of the Leaf is the FWD torque steer, but I am already used to it (tolerate it, not like it). And, yes, I very much miss the exceptionally fun handling of the i3 and the extraordinary tight turning circle of the i3. But the Leaf does have a whole lot going for it, much more than the low price would suggest.

i3Houston

Tue Dec 24, 2019 12:26 pm

The new leaf looks to me, I prefer it over i3 but couple years ago it dealership quote was closer to 40G so that brought me to i3.

Thanks for sharing your thought on Leaf! Compressor on my i3 was replaced few months ago and so far cars been holding well but if something goes south then I would look into a Leaf for sure!
TM3 Reservation holder/ 2015 i3 Rex

i3Alan

Tue Dec 24, 2019 1:02 pm

i3Houston wrote:
The new leaf looks to me, I prefer it over i3 but couple years ago it dealership quote was closer to 40G so that brought me to i3.

Thanks for sharing your thought on Leaf! Compressor on my i3 was replaced few months ago and so far cars been holding well but if something goes south then I would look into a Leaf for sure!
What did your compressor replacement cost? I have heard that for AC catastrophes since mine that BMW has picked up the repair bill for all but the cost of the compressor replacement. That sure is a lot more reasonable than "here is a $2000 goodwill check" to say the least. I would have gone ahead with that repair, assuming the compressor replacement cost was under $4K and kept my i3. If higher than $4K, then I probably would still let them replace the AC system and then just trade the car (minimizing my loss).

A few other things that the Leaf does considerably better than the i3: it has a good horn. Not great, but not i3 pathetic. It has excellent sun visors that slide out when needed to cover the side window. It does not have automatic windshield wipers, but much better control over the wipers with a very wide range of intermittent wipe speed from every few seconds all the way to nearly continuous, with excellent windshield coverage. The seat heaters have low and high settings that are spot on, rather than just too hot. The automatic headlights also have auto brights which work great. Both the low and high beams are excellent, although the i3 low beams are nicer (and the i3 high beams pathetic). The LEDs on the dash that are easily seen from the front of the car are wonderful indicators of charge status when charging, and the hinged rubber gasket plastic charging cover is vastly nicer than the plastic cap on the i3. The radio controls are much nicer, including the touch screen and steering wheel controls, but I prefer the radio delay off with ignition of the i3 rather than the instant off of the Leaf. I appreciate the Leaf e-pedal more and more each day, and realize how significantly better it works than the e-pedal of the i3 (which I still think is great). The 360 camera view is a feature I NEVER want to be without in any car (it is worth a test drive in a Leaf if only to see how great this feature really is for parking forward, backward, or parallel). I like the front seat comfort of both cars, but the Leaf rear seats (all 3!) are far more comfortable for adults, as are the rear doors and adjustable windows.

Both cars allow the Power off switch to automatically engage Park, and the go pedal to automatically release the parking brake, but I do prefer the tranny knob of the i3 to the more Prius like lever of the Leaf, but only because the Leaf has drive and reverse engage opposite of the direction (push forward for reverse). The i3 certainly was more fun to whip around on tight curves, but I think the Leaf may have the edge on lateral G handling (but certainly not the excitement!). The i3 clearly has the edge on acceleration, tight turning circle, and possibly braking (perhaps not on wet roads).

Bottom line, the i3 is far more of a driver's car and just plain fun driving. The Leaf is a great EV package, well executed, with great features, and great pricing, but may not be a good choice for someone who lives in a very hot climate and wants to keep it for a long time (no battery liquid cooling).

i3Houston

Tue Dec 24, 2019 1:30 pm

i3Alan wrote:
Tue Dec 24, 2019 1:02 pm
i3Houston wrote:

What did your compressor replacement cost?
Luckily, it was covered under warranty, it happened a day after 12V battery was replaced. Someone here mentioned that compressor must have been weak and then died after fresh 12V battery was installed.

Leaf sounds like good alternative to i3, how reliable is the pre-conditioning though.

i3Alan

Thu Dec 26, 2019 2:04 pm

i3Houston wrote:
Leaf sounds like good alternative to i3, how reliable is the pre-conditioning though.
I never use pre-conditioning. I live in Phoenix! Not sure the Leaf even does it. It does, however, appear to have easier setting of delay start charging than the i3, but I haven't used that on either car. It's just that the Leaf menus for controlling the charging look more useful and easier (having scanned through both).

i3Houston

Thu Dec 26, 2019 2:48 pm

i3Alan wrote:
Thu Dec 26, 2019 2:04 pm
i3Houston wrote:
I never use pre-conditioning. I live in Phoenix! Not sure the Leaf even does it. It does, however, appear to have easier setting of delay start charging than the i3, but I haven't used that on either car. It's just that the Leaf menus for controlling the charging look more useful and easier (having scanned through both).
Sorry I meant, using the cell phone connection(phone app) to remotely cool the car. BMW service had been choppy even in metro area for 15i3rex, it just got better couple months ago.

jadnashuanh

Thu Dec 26, 2019 4:17 pm

The earlier Leafs had issues with their air cooled battery packs, especially in the US desert SW...the heat just messed with the batteries. Even the newest ones have some issues regarding that. Last I read, and it might have changed, if you were going on a longer trip, you were limited to ONE DC fast charge, as the combination of driving then the DC fast charge, then driving again would not give the air cooled batteries a chance to cool off enough. If you needed to fast charge again, you had to wait hours, and even that might be an issue if it was 115-degrees F out! Park in the sun over a sun-baked asphalt, and the heat radiating up from the surface could easily be 160-degrees or more...doesn't do much for air cooling the battery pack! Liquid cooling is more involved, but more reliable without those restrictions.

I haven't looked at a Leaf in a couple of years, but the original ones had a really deep well in the rear. I use my i3 to carry my folding, recumbent trike to the rail trail...it would not have fit well in the Leaf...the wheels would have tried to fall into the hole, which would have meant the rear end would have been constantly pushing and rubbing on the rear, if you could have gotten the hatch closed in the first place.

I appreciate the slightly higher seat entry point on the i3 as well. The newer ones do have a bit more power, but keep in mind, at a minimum, it weighs at least 500# more with a smaller motor...that does make a difference.
Jim DeBruycker
2011 535i x-drive GT, 2014 i3 BEV
Soon (hopefully!) A 2021 X5 45e will replace the above

MKH
Gold Member

Sun Jan 05, 2020 8:24 am

Maybe BMW is taking notice of the possible AC compressor failure in the early i3's. Took my 2015 in for my last 'free' REx oil change, and getting the front shock dust boots that split replaced before my warranty is up in a couple of months. After reading this thread, asked the Service advisor to check the AC compressor while it was in for the service. They took the car in for the oil change, ordered the rubber boots, and came back and said they also ordered a new AC compressor, and would install it under warranty. Took the car back in a week later when the parts were in, and got both the new rubber boots and the new AC compressor installed - for $0.
Mark H.
2015 i3 Rex, Capparis White, Tera World, Technology & Driving Assistant, Parking Assistant, Harman Kardon Audio System, 19 inch 427 wheels, EVoInnovate EVSE

i3Houston

Sun Jan 05, 2020 9:53 am

MKH wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 8:24 am
Maybe BMW is taking notice of the possible AC compressor failure in the early i3's. Took my 2015 in for my last 'free' REx oil change, and getting the front shock dust boots that split replaced before my warranty is up in a couple of months. After reading this thread, asked the Service advisor to check the AC compressor while it was in for the service. They took the car in for the oil change, ordered the rubber boots, and came back and said they also ordered a new AC compressor, and would install it under warranty. Took the car back in a week later when the parts were in, and got both the new rubber boots and the new AC compressor installed - for $0.

Wow... Great job asking them!

Return to “Technical BMW i3 Discussions”