Elektrey

Re: Air conditioning failed

Fri Jan 31, 2020 5:43 pm

First of all thank you everyone for your feedback, and I hope I am not hijacking this thread.
An i3, like any expensive car, is a time-bomb waiting to explode
Understandable, but after 34,000 Miles? I've had the car for a year and a half. A failure of this magnitude this soon is completely unacceptable for a car.

I went to the dealer today and talked to the Service Manager. He has spoken to BMW on my behalf and they said they would consider helping if more parts need replacing once I pay the $4500 to replace the known broken parts.

alohart, Do you think that a complete failure is really that rare? Should I pursue this option?

I worry if I replace the compressor and shutoff valve that they will find more damage and it wouldn't make sense to pay much more than that on a car thats worth what this is worth.

Seems like a risky bet.

I will be in contact with BMW Customer Relations and see what they say.

They are also going to have the BMW Techs from New Jersey look at the problem and get their input on the situation.

In the meantime they are going to get it appraised as a trade in, although I am not sure I would buy another BMW, but I am curious of the value.

This is an extremely frustrating and disappointing position to be in, especially because I loved the car so much.

ronin

Sun Feb 16, 2020 3:36 pm

After reading all of this and on the facebook groups, I addressed these concerns and sent links to get my dealer (BMW Seattle) to proactively inspect both the motor mounts (bolts were replaced) and the A/C system before the warranty ran out and my service advisor shrugged it off like whatever.

Has anyone gotten their dealer to actually do something proactively?

MKH
Gold Member

Sun Feb 16, 2020 4:08 pm

Has anyone gotten their dealer to actually do something proactively?
You have to tell them you think something is wrong with it, for them to pay any attention. I had my car in for scheduled service, and after reading all the horror stories, told them I thought the AC was 'noisier' than normal. They checked the Freon level, and ran a stress test on the AC. then replaced it under warranty.
Mark H.
2015 i3 Rex, Capparis White, Tera World, Technology & Driving Assistant, Parking Assistant, Harman Kardon Audio System, 19 inch 427 wheels, EVoInnovate EVSE

Elektrey

Mon Feb 17, 2020 7:43 pm

Just wanted to update the thread and say that I sold the BMW i3 at a loss and no longer have it.

Final offer from BMW was 50% of the 25,000 dollar repair bill at a reducer labor rate coming to 11,200 or so. Easily not worth it and not worth my time to fight BMW.

Extremely disappointed with BMW and will never EVER own another.

Along with the ridiculous repair bill the car was in the shop for 3 Weeks which is absurd.

For all of you that still have and love your i3s I wish you the best.

I know this is a pretty uncommon issue, but you are essentially playing russian roulette with the car even if the chances are really small.

Looks like this is the end for me here, best of luck to all of you.

MKH
Gold Member

Tue Feb 18, 2020 6:45 am

As you said, the AC failure is rare - and with the complexity of the tech in new(er) cars, there will be a small percentage that fail with a high repair-cost, no matter what the car brand. Guy at work had his Nissan Murano transmission fail six months out of warranty. Dealer quoted close to $10 grand to replace (was not re-build-able). Buddy had his Corvette turbo engine blow, a year out of warranty - $15 grand plus. It happens to any car, but not a lot.
Mark H.
2015 i3 Rex, Capparis White, Tera World, Technology & Driving Assistant, Parking Assistant, Harman Kardon Audio System, 19 inch 427 wheels, EVoInnovate EVSE

i3Alan

Wed Feb 19, 2020 1:53 pm

MKH wrote:
Tue Feb 18, 2020 6:45 am
As you said, the AC failure is rare - and with the complexity of the tech in new(er) cars, there will be a small percentage that fail with a high repair-cost, no matter what the car brand. Guy at work had his Nissan Murano transmission fail six months out of warranty. Dealer quoted close to $10 grand to replace (was not re-build-able). Buddy had his Corvette turbo engine blow, a year out of warranty - $15 grand plus. It happens to any car, but not a lot.
Yep, $10K for a tranny is expensive. Should be about half that. I would hope that Nissan would help quite a bit since it is only 6 months out of warranty. Did Nissan offer any assistance?

Yep, $15K for a high performance turbo V8 is a tad high. I would hope that GM would help a bit, since it is only a year out of warranty. Did GM offer any assistance?

Nope, $23K for an AC repair is OUTRAGEOUS in any rational world. It is INSANE that BMW would not mostly cover such nonsense that was less than a year out of warranty.

Enough with the false equivalencies.

MKH
Gold Member

Thu Feb 20, 2020 5:38 am

I would hope that Nissan would help quite a bit since it is only 6 months out of warranty. Did Nissan offer any assistance?
No, went through three layers of 'supervisors' with Nissan customer service, and just got the same word-for-word 'why we can't help you' script read to him over the phone each time. He bought a used CVT from a wreck, had a local indy mechanic install it, but in the end could not get it running right so sold the car to a salvage yard to part out.
Did GM offer any assistance?
Nope. Offered him some kind of lame trade-in deal on a new one was all. He ended up buying an LS7 crate motor ($14,800) and horse-trading with a mechanic in the local Corvette Club for the installation.
Mark H.

panamamike

Thu Feb 20, 2020 11:45 am

This isn't surprising because it was a "catastrophic" , very expensive failure. They won't do anything for you unless it become a class action type issue. They figure it's more cost effective. Sad, but it is what it is.

Fisher99

Tue Mar 10, 2020 2:32 pm

MKH wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 8:24 am
Maybe BMW is taking notice of the possible AC compressor failure in the early i3's. Took my 2015 in for my last 'free' REx oil change, and getting the front shock dust boots that split replaced before my warranty is up in a couple of months. After reading this thread, asked the Service advisor to check the AC compressor while it was in for the service. They took the car in for the oil change, ordered the rubber boots, and came back and said they also ordered a new AC compressor, and would install it under warranty. Took the car back in a week later when the parts were in, and got both the new rubber boots and the new AC compressor installed - for $0.
Wow! Just discovered this thread. Wish I'd have seen it a few weeks ago, as that is when my CPO warranty expired. I would definitely have taken it in for them to diagnose A/C "issues", even though I'm not currently experiencing any on my 2014 i3/REX... Sigh....

trumpetdoug

Wed Mar 11, 2020 9:46 am

Would like to thank this forum for this invaluable information.

Wondering if this situation (expensive air-conditioning repair) only applies to pre 2017 models, or can it happen to any i3?
Yes you guessed it, I have just purchased a used 2017 with 20,000 miles on it. CPO car with about 18 months of factory warranty left.

Thanks again for all the great info!!!👌👌

Doug - out

Return to “Technical BMW i3 Discussions”