Change default driving mode?

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MarkH

Hi, new to i3.
My car starts in Comfort mode.
Is there a way to get it to start in EcoPro by default?

In your BMW coding app du jour...

BDC Body Module:

Choose default driving mode: 3221 -> FesInitMode
Werte:03 = Comfort
Werte:07 = Eco Pro
Werte:08 = Eco Pro +

There's plenty of docs out there for other things that can be changed via coding.....

Ahh Coding!

I've seen references to coding on here.

Do I understand that to engage in the art of coding I have to:
buy a a spacial cable (ODB?),
pay BMW for some sort of coding key (how does one get to pay for this)?

I would have thought that such changing of defaults was a basic user requirement access to which should be provided through a normal user interface.

Is that not the case?

I don't believe that setting a default driving mode and making it stick is an option in the iDrive menus. I know that it's in Bimmercode, and actually just set it successfully today on my car.

As far as coding goes, if you have a smartphone, then the Bimmercode app (paid) can do simple/common functions like this and turning off the nag screens every time you push the start button. You will also need a Bluetooth OBD-II adapter to plug into the car. Bimmercode recommends one in particular, but I'm using my trusty genuine Kiwi3 BLE adapter which is also supported.

If you want to do some of the more serious coding stuff like editing your coded vehicle order data to add an option that your car didn't come with, you will need to buy a wired "BMW ENET" cable and plug it into a Windows notebook computer with an ethernet port. You will also need to download a pirated copy of the NMW E-Sys software package, which needs the token hacks and other stuff to make it work. Not for the faint of heart.

You can also pay someone to remote code your car, or bring it to a local independent BMW shop (NOT the dealer!) to have them code it for a fee.....

Thanks for that vreihen.
I may wait to see how much other stuff I might want to change.
Disappointed that you have to buy extra stuff just to change some basic user settings :shock:

I found some inexpensive bluetooth ODB II adaptors on AliExpress. I know you get what you pay for, but I don't want to make a career out of coding. How likely is it that one of these would do the trick a small few times?

I would go with the recommended hardware. Last thing that you want is some knock-off dongle doing damage to your car's computers because of a compatibility problem or electronic design issue.

You would be surprised at how much use my trusty Kiwi3 gets in my office. Seems like I'm scanning co-worker's cars to investigate check engine lights at least once per month.....

When I had my car coded, I had the default changed to Eco Pro and I was very satisfied with it. Unless it's a very warm day (uncommon in Santa Cruz), I never miss having the incrementally strong A/C settings, and I like the stiffer pedal feel which keeps my from being a leadfoot. However, everytime I take the car to the dealership (generally to get a fault code reset and not due to regular maintenance), the car gets reset to factory specs and I have to drive 60 miles to my "neighborhood" recoder.

However, something odd happened the last time I took the car in for servicing. I had a message on the large screen telling me that my airbag system was kaput and that I should only drive with seatbelts on (duh). I loathed the idea of getting service at the dealer due to the loss of custom coding. I picked up the car two days later, and (yay!) the option to turn on the Range Extender at will has been retained. The Range Extender option does not show in the menu, but since I had a dash button set to turn the REX on and off, that function still works.

So, I am not sure how this happened, but not all of the custom coding was wiped out. Not as sure about the expanded gas tank option. I need to figure that one out more carefully.

Chuck

If what you go into service for had a basis on programming, they will reprogram the car and restore things to default, so any customization will be lost. But, a generic service call does not usually require reprogramming and BMW does not, generically, update their vehicles to the latest version unless there's some defect affecting the owner and reported, or there's a safety issue. IOW, taking the car in for service does not mean it will automatically get the latest software.

FWIW, much of what you are talking about in coding is easily done with the BImmercode app, which would be much simpler to do yourself versus driving it somewhere to have someone else do it for you. This assumes you have either an Android or iOS phone or tablet. The software license isn't much, nor is the adapter needed to pair it to the car.

Back