Brake Lights & Coding: Dash Indicator? Activation Level?

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eNate

Staff member
Through coding, has anybody found:

Some sort of dashboard indication for when the brake lights are illuminated? I'm thinking there might be an engineering "test mode" of sorts that could be enabled to provide this information to the vehicle operator.

A line to adjust the threshold of deceleration or regen that must be crossed to illuminate the brake lights?

I'm generally conscious of my pedal usage knowing otherwise I could appear as a "brake tapper," which would annoy the heck out of me. I was surprised the other night to see my brake lights activate in the chrome grill of the truck behind me -- I was in traffic but "coasting" (very light deceleration, I thought).

It would be good to be able to monitor my brake light usage to perhaps make me a smoother driver. But it would also be nice to be able to filter the activation level if the factory level proves too aggressive.

I'm not aware of an adjustment for how much regen activates the tail lights, I would be interested in hearing about it if it is found though! I think the stock setting is fine for normal use. It's probably safest to let it activate the brake lights early and not worry about what other people think. When towing the regen does not slow me as much. If I had a gas powered pusher trailer for extending range, it would be nice to not have regen brake lights on while traveling at a steady speed.

FWIW, I have one of the first batch of i3's sent to the US (made in April 2014). Originally, the regen had a much higher factor when used to the max. It took me all of a couple of stops to get used to it, but many people, new to EVs and regeneration, found that it literally made them sick by the bucking. IMHO, they just needed a bit of guidance, but hey, how many people actually read their owner's manuals? Expect people to learn a new skill? Hey, it's a car, I can drive a car! Anyway, somewhere in that first year or so, they had a software update that dialed down the maximum regeneration the car was able to produce, and put in a little ramp up versus the instant action of the original design. I feel the original would have been able to produce more regen, and I liked it, but they acquiesced to those that were complaining. Hey, when new, you need to tread softly.

jadnashuanh said:
...they just needed a bit of guidance, but hey, how many people actually read their owner's manuals? Expect people to learn a new skill? Hey, it's a car, I can drive a car! ... they acquiesced to those that were complaining. Hey, when new, you need to tread softly.

Jim, I understand the your subtle point, but that's regen and not the invisible tick-on point for the brake lights. I know they're connected, but two different things.

I look at it this way: Old car, press the pedal, closes a switch, brakes illuminate. Very simple. New car, computer has various data streams, including current speed, deceleration, and accelerator pedal position (not to mention brake pedal), and an engineering team with oversight by risk managers has to use that to interpret a threshold for the lights to come on. There's no binary answer. It can go more or less cautious. I can guess where the decision fell.

Joff, you mention "not worry about what other people think" but if you want to piss off the guy behind you with flickering brake lights in steady commute hour traffic, that's the way to trigger "that guy" with the boiling blood to make an idiotic aggressive passing move just to make a point. It's kind of like the inconsiderate drivers who park it in the fast lane at 65 (or worse) and don't care what anybody behind them thinks, and I'm sure we've all seen some of the close cut-offs that can generate as a response.

FWIW, I think I put that suggestion in the suggestion part of the forum a long time ago. I feel it would be a good thing for ANY vehicle, and might keep left foot brakers from inadvertently riding it, annoying everyone, and potentially meaning their brakes won't work when needed because they're overheated...not counting that they'll wear out far faster.

A brake light indication is in some commercial vehicles...don't see why it couldn't be in cars, too.

Got a GoPro, or similar? You could mount it temporarily and check the conditions yourself. Someone did that a long time ago on the i3 and I remember watching their video.

Yeah! Saw that video -- very informative. I appreciate he pointed a camera at his feet, and also at the regen display.

I'm pretty sure mine activated ½ notch past center when I saw them reflected in that truck's grille.

A very small tape-on mirror would actually work very well for me as a short term solution, except I'd have to be looking in my rearview mirror to see it.

"if you want to piss off the guy behind you with flickering brake lights in steady commute hour traffic, that's the way to trigger "that guy" with the boiling blood to make an idiotic aggressive passing move just to make a point. It's kind of like the inconsiderate drivers who park it in the fast lane at 65 (or worse) My 2014 doesn't cause that at all, are you sure yours does? I drove around today with a set of trailer lights on my front passenger seat, plugged into my tow package. My brake lights come on less than the average car in front of me. It takes a significant deceleration to trigger it. Going downhill with 2 or 3 bars of rengen does not.

Joff said:
My 2014 doesn't cause that at all, are you sure yours does?

I'm not sure -- just what I observed that night in traffic, and why I'm asking.

All I'm saying is I don't want to be that guy with the tippity-tappity brake lights.

I like your solution, but I don't have a trailer harness installed. I'll rig up a mirror this week just to satisfy my curiosity.

Back