I3 stability in side winds

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ivanfarrow

It is well known that the LCI is much more stable at motorway speeds than the initial model is
I am trying to find out if the steering box response has been changed to make this change as nothing else seems to have been changed
I know the new steering box can be retro fitted but would it make any difference?
FYI the part no of the steering box changed 7 times before LCI was introduced

Ivanfarrow said:
It is well known that the LCI is much more stable at motorway speeds than the initial model is
I am trying to find out if the steering box response has been changed to make this change as nothing else seems to have been changed
I know the new steering box can be retro fitted but would it make any difference?

Maybe it's due to the additional battery weight. Another 172 lbs of low weight.

alohart said:
panamamike said:
Maybe it's due to the additional battery weight. Another 172 lbs of low weight.
The 94 Ah battery pack weights only 23 kg (51 lb) more than the 60 Ah battery pack. Other changes to the LCI version must account for its greater weight. However, that additional weight likely isn't due to things that are as low as the battery pack. Maybe some LCI suspension improvements help with crosswind stability.

Thought LCI used the 120 Ah battery.

Ivanfarrow said:

Is it the LCI i3 and/or the i3S or "Sport" version that is considered more stable at motorway speeds?

maybe it's that the latter is lower (albeit slightly) with different wheels (wider) and does it have slightly wider wheelbase (I can't recall right now ).

perhaps the Sport mode has stiffer steering and doesn't allow the same lateral movement in the steering?

Back