L2 Charger slows near end of charge?

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

panamamike

I knew this was done by the Fast DC Chargers, but is this normal for L2 chargers too?
Charging at 6.1 Kwh then tapers near the end.

My home charger does that too at around 80%, it slows from 7.2 kWh and does a pretty straight decline to 0 kWh. I can see this happening on my Chargepoint App.

I think it is the car's battery management that is doing that. The charger is able to continue at a consistent output but the car takes less, I think it is a design to help cool the battery pack down as it nears a full charge.

PBNB said:
My home charger does that too at around 80%, it slows from 7.2 kWh and does a pretty straight decline to 0 kWh. I can see this happening on my Chargepoint App.

I think it is the car's battery management that is doing that. The charger is able to continue at a consistent output but the car takes less, I think it is a design to help cool the battery pack down as it nears a full charge.

Thanks for confirming, I thought this might be the case, think it's interesting they mention this behavior clearly for DC Charge, but not level 2.

Look at the light blue graph line on my L2 charger:

20190608145324-6870343e.png

There is also a blip at 7:30 AM when the departure time triggered (warm day).

The other lines are the DW's Kia Niro BEV, which doesn't taper off the charge like the i3.....

FWIW, on L2 charging, the EVSE sends a signal that it has X-amount of amps available. It is the car that then adjusts itself to charge in the most efficient and safe manner, never exceeding the maximum number of amps the EVSE told it it has.

CCS charging is a bit more sophisticated as the AC-DC power supply is external to the vehicle, and it might have varying issues because of heat or filters, or some other self-protection circuitry. The car essentially asks for a certain amount, but the CCS unit may or may not be able to provide it.

Back