BMW i3 Seat/Head restraint safety?

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

panamamike

One issue with the i3 that has me a little concerned. The acceptable rating on the seats and headrest. I've read a few different things surrounding this issue, but part of the story doesn't line up. Meaning, I don't have a clear understanding of which things were done to address the problem and how they affect this particular issue.

It starts with the story that the i3 only received and acceptable rating for the seats and head rest.
Then there is a subsequent story about a recall and sales full stop on the i3 due to the dangerous restraint system.
It had to do with the i3 failing the US NHSTA crash test for an unbelted passenger.
I wasn't clear if this is related to the original crash test results.

I know there was also an airbag recall, think it's the same as the rest of the Takata of the airbag recalls.

I read something about software being used to improve the seat performance in the i3. I haven't seen an official announcement of a fix or results of said fix.

All that said, the NHTSA crash test results have not changed from 2015 to 2019. Down to the measurements, makes me wonder if they just recycled data from the first set of crash tests for these subsequent years.

Does anyone know if anything was actually done to improve the seat/head restraint performance?

panamamike said:
One issue with the i3 that has me a little concerned. The acceptable rating on the seats and headrest. I've read a few different things surrounding this issue, but part of the story doesn't line up. Meaning, I don't have a clear understanding of which things were done to address the problem and how they affect this particular issue.
Judging by the current i3 seats and headrests, it doesn't look like anything has been changed.

You might be referring to the IIHS crash test. The IIHS is a private organization supported by the U.S. insurance industry. Its ratings don't require a vehicle manufacturer to make any changes.

panamamike said:
Then there is a subsequent story about a recall and sales full stop on the i3 due to the dangerous restraint system.
It had to do with the i3 failing the US NHSTA crash test for an unbelted passenger.
The recall and sales stop occurred because the neck of a small driver not wearing a seat belt could be injured during a front collision. The passenger wasn't involved. Because one state does not require the driver to wear a seat belt, BMW had to fix this problem to resume U.S. sales. The fix was to reprogram the firing of the driver airbag via a software update. This had nothing to do with the IIHS crash test.

panamamike said:
I know there was also an airbag recall, think it's the same as the rest of the Takata of the airbag recalls.
There has been no airbag recall for the 2014 BEV that we bought new. This appears to be a comprehensive list of i3 NHTSA vehicle safety recalls.

panamamike said:
All that said, the NHTSA crash test results have not changed from 2015 to 2019. Down to the measurements, makes me wonder if they just recycled data from the first set of crash tests for these subsequent years.
I don't believe that the NHTSA performs crash tests, so maybe you are referring to the IIHS crash test. It appears that only the 2017 i3 was crash tested. Because the i3 has not changed significantly from 2013 until now, maybe the IIHS feels that the test on the 2017 model is valid for all models.

alohart said:
panamamike said:
Judging by the current i3 seats and headrests, it doesn't look like anything has been changed.

You might be referring to the IIHS crash test. The IIHS is a private organization supported by the U.S. insurance industry. Its ratings don't require a vehicle manufacturer to make any changes.

Right: I meant IIHS

alohart said:
panamamike said:
The recall and sales stop occurred because the neck of a small driver not wearing a seat belt could be injured during a front collision. The passenger wasn't involved. Because one state does not require the driver to wear a seat belt, BMW had to fix this problem to resume U.S. sales. The fix was to reprogram the firing of the driver airbag via a software update. This had nothing to do with the IIHS crash test.

panamamike said:
There has been no airbag recall for the 2014 BEV that we bought new. This appears to be a comprehensive list of i3 NHTSA vehicle safety recalls.

Same as the reprogramming.
Recall Number
17V720000
Recall Date
11/16/2017
Component
AIR BAGS:FRONTAL
Summary
BMW of North America, LLC (BMW) is recalling certain 2014-2018 BMW i3 electric and hybrid electric vehicles. Unbelted, small adult, drivers may be at a higher risk of neck injury in the event of a frontal crash. These vehicles fail to comply with the requirements of Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard (FMVSS) number 208, "Occupant Crash Protection."

Consequence
During a frontal impact, unbelted, small adult, drivers could be at a higher risk of neck injury.

What Owners Should Do
BMW will notify owners, and dealers will update the Driver air bag control unit software, free of charge. The recall is expected to begin January 8, 2018. Owners may contact BMW customer service at the dedicated i3 recall number 1-855-269-3361.

alohart said:
panamamike said:
I don't believe that the NHTSA performs crash tests, so maybe you are referring to the IIHS crash test. It appears that only the 2017 i3 was crash tested. Because the i3 has not changed significantly from 2013 until now, maybe the IIHS feels that the test on the 2017 model is valid for all models.

Right: I meant IIHS, the fix was for the unbelted driver scenario described above. Wondering if that change in timing did anything for the regular drivers too?

I assume the air bag deployment timing would change the impact variables for the better. Those measurements should be different. IIHS should test the model year vehicles if they are claiming results for that year. Some minor variables can change how the car would behave. In the i3's case, the battery weight and change in airbag deployment code. You'd think they would release the results as they should be good press. How does the government know the change made by BMW met the standard to allow for continuation of car sales?

Mike

Back